Derby v Middlesbrough, Saturday 13th Feb

Kinder

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

As well as it worked today, not sure I would want to see us setting up like that every match.

I'd like to think in the upcoming games we would aim to have a lot more control of the ball in the middle of the park.

More to do with the personnel in midfield than playing both Gregory & Kazim (both of whom were winning the ball and laying off well).

Knight & Shinnie are quite functional in their use of the ball & both played much deeper today than in recent weeks. Jozwiak & Waghorn were very wasteful in possession when in advanced positions.

I'd prefer to see Bird in there from the start to give better control of the football with Shinnie behind him & think Roberts will see gametime at Wycombe given how ineffective Waghorn & Jozwiak were today.

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

More to do with the personnel in midfield than playing both Gregory & Kazim (both of whom were winning the ball and laying off well).

Knight & Shinnie are quite functional in their use of the ball & both played much deeper today than in recent weeks. Jozwiak & Waghorn were very wasteful in possession when in advanced positions.

I'd prefer to see Bird in there from the start to give better control of the football with Shinnie behind him & think Roberts will see gametime at Wycombe given how ineffective Waghorn & Jozwiak were today.

Yeah. I would dump Waghorn for Roberts. Nothing personal, but Roberts showed some spark and ability in the short time he got midweek. Waghorn did well defensively today, but he is actually there to create and take chances, and he didn't do enough. He still manages to waste the ball, and still has a tendency to be rash with his tackling, and has loads and loads of opportunity. I also like Joswiack, as he offers a lot all over the pitch, and carries himself is though the team really matters to him. His final third decision making is poor, and is the one area of his game that really needs some work. But if he gets as many opportunities as Holmes did, he should come good.

Cracking result today! Got the job done. Never really in doubt apart from the silly free kicks. They didn’t create anything and we edged it overall, even if as a spectacle it was dire.

While 4-4-2 worked today not sure it’s the answer. We didn’t have enough control of the game today. Also Jozwiak and Waghorn are not doing enough at the minute. 

Pleased for Gregory, works hard, he will get us goals and great interview after the game, absolutely the right character for a scrap.

Another good result continuing the playoff form under Rooney that will see us clear of trouble. There are at least three worst teams than us in this league I don’t care what anyone says!!

23 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Cracking result today! Got the job done. Never really in doubt apart from the silly free kicks. They didn’t create anything and we edged it overall, even if as a spectacle it was dire.

While 4-4-2 worked today not sure it’s the answer. We didn’t have enough control of the game today. Also Jozwiak and Waghorn are not doing enough at the minute. 

Pleased for Gregory, works hard, he will get us goals and great interview after the game, absolutely the right character for a scrap.

Another good result continuing the playoff form under Rooney that will see us clear of trouble. There are at least three worst teams than us in this league I don’t care what anyone says!!

I would suggest 6 or seven equally poor teams in this division and hopefully we can finish mid table?

Git to say a very good 3 points, scored to cracking goals, second half we showed guts and togetherness, we never gave them a clear cut chance, now lets get the business done against Wycombe, was also nice to see 2 upfront, both played very well together, can see us getting better as the season goes on, Rooney doing a great job. 

7 hours ago, ram59 said:

Looking at the highlights, Joz was definitely pulled back. If he hadn't been the last man and an automatic red card, it would have been given, but all's well that end's well. We may not have held on against 10 men.

Get out of it.

Was a pathetic dive.

Should have been embarrassed and should have received a yellow card.

8 hours ago, ram59 said:

Looking at the highlights, Joz was definitely pulled back. If he hadn't been the last man and an automatic red card, it would have been given, but all's well that end's well. We may not have held on against 10 men.

Jozwiak is nippy over a few yards but gets caught too easily over longer distances. He was out clean through by CKR yesterday and got caught and outmuscled. 

Our front four all looked slow yesterday and will need to rely on more accurate passing and crossing to find success. 

Middlesboro were unprepared for our corner routine and Colin’s strike was a worldly but outside of that we created little.

We still need that bit of creativity in midfield and a wide man who can cross the ball, other than Byrne.

3 points in the bank and that’s all that matters for the rest of the season , Rooney is doing a good job and also has that touch of luck, if cocu had made the sub s choices yesterday there would have been uproar , negative, defensive ,handing the game to them would have been the universal cry , as it was they didn’t nick one back for a draw and poss go on to win so all’s good ,

on to the next game and hope for another 3 points , there is a good chance we can climb out of our situation at the bottom ?

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Get out of it.

Was a pathetic dive.

Should have been embarrassed and should have received a yellow card.

He appears so inept when he gets chances he is looking for the foul in order to avoid fluffing the chance.  His USP is his speed and lw centre of gravity, he needs to stay on his feet.  If he could put his chances away or even make better decisions he wouldn't be a championship player and wouldn't be with us.  I have said it before, if that was Tom out there he would be getting a lot more stick.  I think he has been poor since before Christmas

9 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

That’s the trouble, it was pretty dire. Ugly performance saved by a wonder strike. 

6 minutes ago, Spanish said:

He appears so inept when he gets chances he is looking for the foul in order to avoid fluffing the chance.  His USP is his speed and lw centre of gravity, he needs to stay on his feet.  If he could put his chances away or even make better decisions he wouldn't be a championship player and wouldn't be with us.  I have said it before, if that was Tom out there he would be getting a lot more stick.  I think he has been poor since before Christmas

His work rate is decent but that is the only thing I can really praise him for right now.

10 hours ago, Rampage said:

Byrne is such a good crosser of the ball. When was the last time we had anyone that good.

He is a real asset. So eager and precise. There were a couple of take downs from high balls that were a joy to watch. Brought it down dead stop .. trapping a ball like that speaks of real skill. Then add in his willingness to run off the ball and look for overlaps. Cracking player, bit of an unsung hero as he doesn’t seem to have a big ego. 

Just now, jono said:

He is a real asset. So eager and precise. There were a couple of take downs from high balls that were a joy to watch. Brought it down dead stop .. trapping a ball like that speaks of real skill. Then add in his willingness to run off the ball and look for overlaps. Cracking player, bit of an unsung hero as he doesn’t seem to have a big ego. 

I always rave about the way he brings those high cross-field balls under control time and time again. He could certainly teach a few of the other players a thing or two! 

1 minute ago, jono said:

He makes great attacking runs. He had a good understanding with Jozwiak going, but since Waghorn has come back hasn’t been able to link up as well.

There was a run in the first half yesterday where Waggy could’ve put him through easily for a cross, but he stopped the ball and played it inside then the move broke down.

I hope we see Jozwiak back on the right soon, or Roberts getting a start, as this will help Byrne with his attacking link up and give more cover in defence when needed.

We have had a major clear out of players. We have s few on loan and a few out if contract at the end of the season. Wayne says all this will be sorted out by the end of the season. He knows who he wants to keep. Once again he had two plans for next season, one with no incoming cash and one with a decent transfer budget. Wayne is not moaning. His interviews impress me. We should feel honoured that we have Wayne so committed to Derby County FC. His mandate this year is to keep us up. It is working. COYR.

Archived