Derby v Middlesbrough, Saturday 13th Feb

Kinder

Lawrence is lambasted or perhaps rambasted consistently due to how frustrating he can be with the talent he has, and has played far more games than Joz for Derby. I think it’s unfair on Joz having played so few games for us to make a comparison. His antics with flailing arms is gaining him an unwanted reputation with refs I fear. That’s the biggest issue for me that needs coaching out of him. I’m a big fan and am confident he will improve.

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't been through the thread so apologies if this point has been made over and over again. 

Overall, I quite enjoyed the first half - loved CKR's hit and nice to score from a corner - but the second just sapped into awfulness with every passing minute.

Surely Lawrence will be straight back in when he's fit? Roberts? Waghorn has gone backwards rapidly from a couple of seasons ago and I know this is an unpopular view but I just don't get Joswiak. From the moment he arrived he's looked just a like another very average Championship player. It comes to something when I'm thinking looking back I was way too harsh on Johnny Russell.

The two up top looked better, but if the wide players are going to be so wretchedly ineffective at supporting them, we're not going to suddenly start scoring more goals, which we need to do to get ourselves out of this miss. 

Anyway, yet again we dug in for the last 20, on the whole Boro were worse than us, and that's all that mattered on the day. 

1 minute ago, VulcanRam said:

but I just don't get Joswiak. From the moment he arrived he's looked just a like another very average Championship player. It comes to something when I'm thinking looking back I was way too harsh on Johnny Russell.

The two up top looked better, but if the wide players are going to be so wretchedly ineffective at supporting them, we're not going to suddenly start scoring more goals, which we need to do to get ourselves out of this miss. 

Anyway, yet again we dug in for the last 20, on the whole Boro were worse than us, and that's all that mattered on the day. 

Same observations have been made by other posters including myself. 

43 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

It’s because Coventry, Birmingham, Forest and Rotherham all play Wednesday. Although, in reality, every week’s games (both our own and others around us) are just as important until/unless we can build a decent buffer between us and the relegation zone.

Another example of the EFL conspiracy. How can Wednesday possibly stay up if the fixtures dictate they have to simultaneously play 4 teams. Disgraceful. 

10 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Jozwiak works very hard and gets himself into good positions but he just lacks that final bit of quality. I don't think he deserves the criticism. We've been a poor, low scoring side all season. He's been far better than waghorn 

I don’t think anyone is disputing his work rate or ability to get into good positions but surely he deserves some criticism, as much as any other player (e.g. Lawrence), for that final bit of quality and decision making?

I like him and am sure he will come good but, he frustrates me at the moment.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Joz is 23 and in his first season in the Championship. There's definitely more to come. His decision-making should improve. Plus he'd look better with some footballing support up front and a better pitch!  

he certainly looks like a horse that needs good to firm.  This may account for why he has had a bad winter

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Do you actually read what people write?

I think you should cut @RoyMac5some slack, he is not a veteran of the coronavirus thread! 

TBF we are all correct.  Currently he ain't that good and certainly not the 7 and 8 marks he is getting.  He is young and has undoubted skill.  We have all seen that moaning about Tom has done no good whatsoever.  In November I could really see we had a player there.  2 months later a few doubts are starting to appear.  I would like him to stay on his feet, draw proper fouls that result in bookings and reds.  He is the best dribbler of the ball that I have seen in a ling time but if he gets the rep for falling over too easy refs will start to ignore the fouls

1 hour ago, SKRam said:

Lawrence is lambasted or perhaps rambasted consistently due to how frustrating he can be with the talent he has, and has played far more games than Joz for Derby. I think it’s unfair on Joz having played so few games for us to make a comparison. His antics with flailing arms is gaining him an unwanted reputation with refs I fear. That’s the biggest issue for me that needs coaching out of him. I’m a big fan and am confident he will improve.

20 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I think you should cut @RoyMac5some slack, he is not a veteran of the coronavirus thread! 

TBF we are all correct.  Currently he ain't that good and certainly not the 7 and 8 marks he is getting.  He is young and has undoubted skill.  We have all seen that moaning about Tom has done no good whatsoever.  In November I could really see we had a player there.  2 months later a few doubts are starting to appear.  I would like him to stay on his feet, draw proper fouls that result in bookings and reds.  He is the best dribbler of the ball that I have seen in a ling time but if he gets the rep for falling over too easy refs will start to ignore the fouls

nba all star 2018 basketball GIF by NBA

21 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Not sure you can dismiss his scores from Rams fans @Spanish  it’s a democratic vote you know! Please don’t tell me you’re related to a Mr. D Trump 

Comparing Joswiack and Lawrence: Tom has a tendency to turn into blind alleys and lose the ball, whereas Joswiack more often than not will beat his man and then make a poor cross, take an extra touch are let the ball bounce instead of hitting it on the volley. And while defences tend to double up on Tom, Joswiack often has to face three or four defenders at once, and has the skill to het through them all. Then we are back to his decision making.

Give him time, and I think he will end up better than Tom.

What they have in common is a drive to vo for goal which all strikers should have if they ate going to score goals.

Wayne is doing pretty datned good so fat, so let’s see what he and his entourage can do with both Joswiack and Lawrence.

I think the future looks promising fir both of them.

17 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Comparing Joswiack and Lawrence: Tom has a tendency to turn into blind alleys and lose the ball, whereas Joswiack more often than not will beat his man and then make a poor cross, take an extra touch are let the ball bounce instead of hitting it on the volley. And while defences tend to double up on Tom, Joswiack often has to face three or four defenders at once, and has the skill to het through them all. Then we are back to his decision making.

What they have in common is a drive to vo for goal which all strikers should have if they ate going to score goals.

Wayne is doing pretty datned good so fat, so let’s see what he and his entourage can do with both Joswiack and Lawrence.

A fair viewpoint.

I think I’d add the thing that gives Joz more favour with the fans is his work rate and defensive contribution.

Lawrence is maligned for his defensive contribution (sometimes unfairly), whereas Joz’s defensive contribution is generally decent.

This is also why I think he’s currently in the team and lawrence has been told he needs to do more to get in the team.......Rooney likes industrious players!

23 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Given that Lawrence is the devil's spawn to a lot of posters then that shouldn't provide difficult - with that information in mind it's very worrying that he's not able to live up to those meagre expectations.

Much improvement needed. 

2 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

A fair viewpoint.

I think I’d add the thing that gives Joz more favour with the fans is his work rate and defensive contribution.

Lawrence is maligned for his defensive contribution (sometimes unfairly), whereas Joz’s defensive contribution is generally decent.

This is also why I think he’s currently in the team and lawrence has been told he needs to do more to get in the team.......Rooney likes industrious players!

I read that Tom was injured, nowhere near the squad yet

Lawrence has been injured for a while and is currently making his way back to fitness. 

I think we had the same expectations for both players when they arrived, and in both instances they were very high (the expectations. not the players, although who knows?).

Lawrence hasn't met them on the whole but he has always been an important and valued part of the squad who's more than capable at playing at this level. He hasn't though hit the heights many felt he would.

Joswiak still has time and, like Lawrence in his early days here, looks like he's got something in him. But, as we have seen with Lawrence, looking like it and actually doing it on a regular basis are very different things, and so far he hasn't really shown that much. 

Archived