3x U15s

DCFC1388

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Odd. Why would they pay that much, is it similar to Gordon? But u15s must be unable to sign anything?

I don't think any club would pay that. As far as I know none of the U15s have had an England call up, 1 has for Wales. None of them are playing for the 18s, 2 or 3 play up for the 16s sometimes but most academies do that, usually down to numbers rather than anything else.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Odd. Why would they pay that much, is it similar to Gordon? But u15s must be unable to sign anything?

Simple really - Manchester United are up to something  - maybe we will become a nursery for game time for some of theirs in the future but currently we need the money so we have to take it currently. I detest Manchester United but I am grateful they have funded us for the time being it seems. 

Academy players will be traded younger and younger now that Brexit has stopped the bigger clubs from buying abroad. I think this can only be good for English football in the long run because English clubs will have more home grown players coming through. But obviously not great news for academies outside of the Premier League. Another reason why Derby needs top flight football soon. 

I don’t know if this has been mentioned but Kaide Gordon’s younger brother is apparently in the U13s. 

£2m? That's far more than I expected them to be worth, more money than I could hve dreamed for. Wooooo!

...it's a bit like an episode of Antiques Roadshow though isn't it? Take some piece of tat that's been in your family for generations and holds a little sentimental value. You think it could be worth 20, 30 quid, the auctioneer has news for you though - it's actually worth £150! Wow everybody, that's amazing, what a surprise.

"What are you going to spend the money on?" asks the host.

After a few seconds thought, you're strugggling to name anything significant or worthwhile you could actually get for £150 in 2021, so you stand there mouth agape before spluttering out the first thing that comes to mind  "Errrrm, I dunno, maybe put it towards a Fitbit or something?"

...and everyone applauds, marvellous.

Edited by Coconut

£2m is awful an lot of money to gamble on someone so young to make it as 'good' class professional footballer.  

At this very young age there are so many variables which are still to coming into play which will determine if the lad will actually fulfill his early promise. 

He may not develop both physical or mentally for the rigors of professional football.  The person themselves may fallout of love with the game or may not be prepared to make the sacrifices necessary. Injuries may cut short any development. 

I don't what percentages of kids actually make it from academies  to enjoy a long term professional football career of any length but i would not presume it is particularly high. 

Taking all this into account. £2 million for 3 young 15 year old kids at this stage of their development seems a very good deal.

I would rather sell them than we be forced to sell one of our 1st team squad.  

16 hours ago, Rab a dab doo said:

£2m is awful an lot of money to gamble on someone so young to make it as 'good' class professional footballer.  

In 18-19 Man Utd's revenue was £627m and their net profit was £165m

Of all the clubs in British football they have enough to take a few gambles - Everyone in the PL has TV revenue but the sheer volume of money Man Utd make from merchandising keeps them ahead of most of the other teams

I do wonder whether there's talk of a change in the way youth transfers are handled. Post-Brexit, there's clearly going to be a premium on young English talent so perhaps the big clubs are looking to speculate before any changes occur.  In all honesty, £2 mill to the likes of Citeh, Liverpool, Manure and Chelsea is mere pocket change. Perhaps we'll see a Chelsi like trend where the big clubs have huge youth squads and farm them out for fees. Liverpool have done very well out of harry Wilson loans after all.

Derby teenagers to sign for Manchester United

Manchester United are close to completing deals for three Derby County academy players in a development that will provide the Championship club with some much-needed finance, writes Laurie Whitwell.

It is understood that the trio of boys, all under 15 years old, are set to join United for a combined fee of around £750,000 and Derby are working with the Premier League side over the agreements to aid cashflow.

Rooney is taking a holistic approach to his job, however. It can be revealed he called a meeting for all Derby’s under-23s and under-18s a fortnight ago to reiterate his demands after he became concerned over an easing of standards.

In strong terms, he told the young players they had much to do before believing they had “made it”. A source said: “He is genuinely interested in the whole club in way that’s not been seen for a long time in a manager.”

Source: https://theathletic.com/2401261/2021/02/22/ornstein-self-isolation-crackdown-united-cool-on-sancho-fpl-inquest-us-teen-to-rangers/

Edited by rynny
Removed the whole article

16 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Rooney is taking a holistic approach to his job, however. It can be revealed he called a meeting for all Derby’s under-23s and under-18s a fortnight ago to reiterate his demands after he became concerned over an easing of standards.

In strong terms, he told the young players they had much to do before believing they had “made it”. A source said: “He is genuinely interested in the whole club in way that’s not been seen for a long time in a manager.”

That's a great sign - A guy who has broken through from the youth setup at his hometown club (at a young age) but showed how important hard work was his entire career - They have to listen to that and great that he's getting so involved in the younger players development 

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

That's a great sign - A guy who has broken through from the youth setup at his hometown club (at a young age) but showed how important hard work was his entire career - They have to listen to that and great that he's getting so involved in the younger players development 

I imagine it's actually a concern over a drop off in performances (results) rather than the players themselves thinking they had made it.

In my opinion, the problems stem from a chopping and changing of players being available on a game by game basis. Not just in terms of players being in the first team squad, but also in training. Injuries to U23 players also hasn't helped, resulting in a number of U18s stepping up to the U23s before they're ready, and a large number of U16s playing for the U18s.

Take the goalkeeping position as an example. Foster, Idem, Ravas, Sykes-Kenworthy, Yates and Moulden have all been used this season, with Halwax featuring on the bench a few times. There's no consistency. Do we need Idem and Foster to be part of the first team 'extended squad' every match day? Keep one as the emergency keeper, and let the other play football for the U23s. The rest of the U23 squad will be happier as they'll build a solid partnership, we'll have a better keeper between the sticks, and results/performances will also improve.

39 different players have played in U23 games this season (not including the FA Cup game)! We only went into this season with 19 U23 outfielders and 5 keepers.

Get the consistency of players in the team and the performances will follow.

So, they are paying £250k each (£750k in total). As already indicated this will get worse post Brexit. if we were talking about a company we would call it asset stripping, for that is what it is. if the 5 that have left go on to make it in the Prem (Delap, Gordon and these 3) we will have lost out big time.

The Prem and EFL need to step in and address the issues here, otherwise what is the point of funding an academy if you have to accept knockdown prices for players that have not signed a contract and then have their heads turned by the big clubs.   

Liverpool, the Manchester's and others buy young players for a reason. I think that they should all come with a hefty sell on fee and increments should they reach certain stages such as playing in the Prem, 100 games, and playing for your country.

We have received about about £3m for 5 players that in a couple of years will no doubt have added a few zero's to that figure. 

we will not be the only ones that this is happening, but teams especially those in the lower leagues need some protection.  

8 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

So, they are paying £250k each (£750k in total). As already indicated this will get worse post Brexit. if we were talking about a company we would call it asset stripping, for that is what it is. if the 5 that have left go on to make it in the Prem (Delap, Gordon and these 3) we will have lost out big time.

The Prem and EFL need to step in and address the issues here, otherwise what is the point of funding an academy if you have to accept knockdown prices for players that have not signed a contract and then have their heads turned by the big clubs.   

Liverpool, the Manchester's and others buy young players for a reason. I think that they should all come with a hefty sell on fee and increments should they reach certain stages such as playing in the Prem, 100 games, and playing for your country.

We have received about about £3m for 5 players that in a couple of years will no doubt have added a few zero's to that figure. 

we will not be the only ones that this is happening, but teams especially those in the lower leagues need some protection.  

I agree with most of what you've put here. But the alternative way of looking at it, is that we've received £3m for 5 players that have achieved absolutely naff all in their playing career and never contributed anything of note to our first XI. Potential is only potential. There's a good chance that these players never reach their full perceived potential. 

Shame to see the lads leave, but not much we can do about it I guess. At least it will help with keeping the club alive following the Sheikhs fakeover. We’ve done some really good business in bringing in reasonably large sums of money for academy players, so that we don’t have to sell first teamers.

Good to see Rooney taking a such an interest in the academy as well. I would hope he’s speaking regularly with Wassall about the development of players and who has a future in the first team. Think he’s right to call a meeting with some of the young lads as well - from what I’ve seen, academy results haven’t been good enough this season considering the money we’ve invested. Need to get that standard back up.

5 hours ago, Sheikh n Bake said:

I agree with most of what you've put here. But the alternative way of looking at it, is that we've received £3m for 5 players that have achieved absolutely naff all in their playing career and never contributed anything of note to our first XI. Potential is only potential. There's a good chance that these players never reach their full perceived potential. 

Great! It costs the club £5-6m each year to run the academy. Selling the best kids we have inba specific age group for £250k each is a fantastic business strategy when a good year means 11 new scholars in the U18 sqaud.