v Chorley (A) FA Cup Match Thread

Day

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Xlor said:

Non league football is exactly like that. I watched these v Alfreton town in an absolutely awful 1-1, Alfreton being robbed by the worst penalty decision you'll ever see. This is embarrassing! All we've heard for the last few seasons is youth this, youth that and what for? May as well of saved millions and just paid the alfreton players £400 to turn out. If these are the best kids we've got then fold the academy because I could rustle up 11 that could manage to be (luckily too) 1 down at ht. 

yawn 

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A full strength U23 side would.have Foster/Idem in goal.

McDonald and Ebosele are ahead of Bardell

Archie and Grewal-Pollard ahead of Williams

Wassall, Minkley and Cashin ahead of all 3 CBs

Dixon, JBrown and Watson likely ahead of the midfield 3.

2 of Shonibare, Mitchell-Lawson and Wilson would have started on the wing

Trialist or Stretton starting upfront

That's not even considering Buchanan, Bird, Knight, Sibley and Whittaker making the step up after playing in the U18s a season and a half ago.

To compound matters, this group f players didn't start preparing for this game until late Wednesday at the earliest. But it gets worse... yesterday we lost a few players from the squad due to positive tests and even lost our assistant manager.

All true but this game will go into the record books like all the others 

9 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

this chorley side is very good but i still feel like we could be giving a bit more. 

6 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

This Chorley side is cack. Big lads bullying a youth team, nothing else about them. 

Think I'm somewhere in the middle ?

1 minute ago, Xlor said:

Non league football is exactly like that. I watched these v Alfreton town in an absolutely awful 1-1, Alfreton being robbed by the worst penalty decision you'll ever see. This is embarrassing! All we've heard for the last few seasons is youth this, youth that and what for? May as well of saved millions and just paid the alfreton players £400 to turn out. If these are the best kids we've got then fold the academy because I could rustle up 11 that could manage to be (luckily too) 1 down at ht. 

I know you're a moron from what you've posted, but I still have to ask. You know this isn't close to a full strength youth side right?

Could do with Cybulski up front for a bit more presence. Thought Cresswell should have shot rather than try to round the keeper onto his weaker foot.

Started to stand up to them abit more physically, can see why we havent had many centre backs from youth levels make the step up.

Get the ball down 2nd half and we can compete, keep it in the air and there is 1 winner

I’m not sure are if some of the posters who are suggesting the young lads should be doing better fully appreciate the full context of this game. The fact that football is a team game gets overlooked so often by fans. This Chorley team will be playing with same team selection by and large, with a settled formation and weekly training to maximise the effectiveness of their tactical approach. Repetition is a huge part of any team sport and this is a huge advantage. Our team today is unlikely to have ever played in anything close to this selection previously, is missing the most talented players at their level and are also physically less developed, which  collectively across 1 - 11 makes a huge difference. The fact we’re only a goal down and still In it is a good performance so far in my book. 

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, Xlor said:

only one word comes to mind, your favourite....

2 minutes ago, Xlor said:

Non league football is exactly like that...This is embarrassing! All we've heard for the last few seasons is youth this, youth that and what for?

Lol! We're not bringing the youth through to play non-league football, thank goodness! ?

1 minute ago, Xlor said:

Not like you to be so cheery mate. This team isn’t our best youth players, and as has been said enough times already, the team won’t have played together before. Being just one down isn’t bad. If we can find a way to create one or two chances we can get something more from the game.

Sith Happens
Just now, one_chop said:

All the big hairy arsed blokes playing for Chorley will run out of steam by the 70th minute, hopefully our young wipper snappers will run through their legs and score.

out of interest how do you know they have hairy arses? ?

9 minutes ago, Duracell said:

If we had our best young players out there, I’d be a bit more disappointed. It’s not only the absence of the best young players, but the fact it’s a hodgepodge or two different teams who have prepared for this game in a school.

Yeah, it would have been extremely difficult even with a full strength academy team. As it is, it’s mission impossible.

3 minutes ago, Xlor said:

They are not the best kids we've got. They are the last ones standing.

You can't have been paying attention this week.

5 minutes ago, Xlor said:

How many times does it have to be said? These aren't the 'best kids'. Hutchinson is the only one with a shout of getting into a full fit U23 side.

Im not even including Buchanan, Bird, Knight, Sibley and Whittaker in the 11

Some aren't even 3rd choice at U23 level. 

I don't think were that bad considering. Its all a bit nervy & rushed. Be good if we could get the ball down & play a bit but the pitch is rubbish & they close down straight away. Hopfully if its still 1-0 after 75mins they'll tire & we'll get something 

Archived