v Chorley (A) FA Cup Match Thread

David

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The kids are doing well against a well drilled team who would be a challenge to beat with a mix of first teamers and second string players.  It will be a good experience for them with what should be no pressure at all. I'm not sure if people remember our game against Southport in the 3rd round a few years ago and it was only when Ibe came on that we looked dangerous and finally broke them down. Even then they had chances, so to be expecting a mix of under 18's and under 23's to get anything from this (no matter how talented) would be wildly optimistic. 

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Men against boys sadly... exactly as you’d expect! Not really got into the game at all, attack vs defence for most of the half. Nothing to be ashamed of though, you can’t compete with kids.

If we had our best young players out there, I’d be a bit more disappointed. It’s not only the absence of the best young players, but the fact it’s a hodgepodge or two different teams who have prepared for this game in a school.

3 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

this chorley side is very good but i still feel like we could be giving a bit more. 

This Chorley side is cack. Big lads bullying a youth team, nothing else about them. 

If we are able to get the ball down and play it a bit if Chorley drop their intensity then we might be able to nick something.

Chorley are non-league. They won't be that intense for 90 minutes. 

We are still in the game .

We need Bateman to sit in front of that big CF and stop the ball getting to him.

Cybulksi on up front to add som height.

Calm it down and pass and move.

Tbf to the lads and half frozen pitch isn't conducive to playing good football.

1 minute ago, Edtheram said:

I’m just saying that I’m sure these lads are capable of more.

these lads could win this if they give an extra 20%.

i just don’t want them to let this chance pass them by

What's the extra 20%?

I'm sure they are capable of more but for that, they would have to play together and train together more. They barely even know each other.

The team is the very epitome of 'cobbled together'.

8 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

I’m sorry but I’ve played on Saturdays and Sundays in games like this - me being a young lad against physical & experenced teams - were not doing the basics off the ball and were being lazy on it. 

I fear some of these lads will wake up tomorrow with a regret of not leaving everything out on the pitch 

Out of interest, who for ?

Team that's never played together, let then enjoy the game and move on. It will be a great experience for them and as some have alluded to, a lot of these players will never get to play professional football.

Lets give em a break eh, Not their fault.

Doesn't matter what level we play the bloody refs still don't give us penalties! Ref been more than ordinary and a homer. 

Glad I'm not a Chorley fan, apparently they've not set up this way to play us, they're always agricultural! ?

We've had some flashes of play, can do better, but giving it a good go. Come on you Rams!

A full strength U23 side would.have Foster/Idem in goal.

McDonald and Ebosele are ahead of Bardell

Archie and Grewal-Pollard ahead of Williams

Wassall, Minkley and Cashin ahead of all 3 CBs

Dixon, JBrown and Watson likely ahead of the midfield 3.

2 of Shonibare, Mitchell-Lawson and Wilson would have started on the wing

Trialist or Stretton starting upfront

That's not even considering Buchanan, Bird, Knight, Sibley and Whittaker making the step up after playing in the U18s a season and a half ago.

To compound matters, this group f players didn't start preparing for this game until late Wednesday at the earliest. But it gets worse... yesterday we lost a few players from the squad due to positive tests and even lost our assistant manager.

4 minutes ago, sage said:

We are still in the game .

We need Bateman to sit in front of that big CF and stop the ball getting to him.

Cybulksi on up front to add som height.

Calm it down and pass and move.

Tbf to the lads and half frozen pitch isn't conducive to playing good football.

It would be easier to buy that big lump at half time. 

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Kinder said:

I’ve found a dodgy site to watch it on. I’ve no idea what language it’s in but it sounds like the Fast Show. I keep expecting them to say “Eth eth eth eth eth, sminky pinky pussy. Chris Waddle!”

Buono estente.

its probably in English,  you just tuned out cause Robbie savage was talking.

Just now, Tombo said:

We're being harsh on these young lads. Chorley aren't a team of part time milkmen and postmen, non-league football is not like that.

They will be lucky if all of our U18s even in their prime play at Chorley's level. Some will. Some will do better. Some will do much much better. But that's football.

Chorley are an experienced and disciplined team of footballers. Cut the kids some slack.

Non league football is exactly like that. I watched these v Alfreton town in an absolutely awful 1-1, Alfreton being robbed by the worst penalty decision you'll ever see. This is embarrassing! All we've heard for the last few seasons is youth this, youth that and what for? May as well of saved millions and just paid the alfreton players £400 to turn out. If these are the best kids we've got then fold the academy because I could rustle up 11 that could manage to be (luckily too) 1 down at ht. 

Archived