v Chorley (A) FA Cup Match Thread

Day

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Hold on, so now it’s “and beyond”?

How do you know the club didn’t push for postponement?

I’m also hoping for creditable performance and, ideally a win but, I won’t be fuming with the FA if we did end up losing say 3:0 and I certainly won’t be describing it as a non respectable performance. These lads are still growing in strength and learning. Hasn’t the EFL Trophy or whatever it’s called shown that junior teams, even from Premier League clubs are often no match for seniors from lower leagues? 

Obviously nowhere near the same gap in league positions as us v Chorley but, now 4:1 to Liverpool with Liverpool 84% possessions. So whilst I’ve not been watching the game, it does sound very much like the one sided affair you’d expect after all. Nothing for Villa to be ashamed of as there wouldn’t be, in my opinion if we lost 3:0.

Southampton v Shrewsbury is off. Surely if we could have presented evidence that we were in an impossible situation in the realms of Shrewsbury’s experience, our game would have suffered the same fate?

Maybe we did ask for a postponement. No-one knows. But all the noises suggest that in fact we are backing our youngsters to compete irrespective of the outbreak.

We have Kaide Gordon in the first team squad for Championship games, so if nothing else it’d be consistent with our ethos. We feel confident in our youngsters’ abilities.

To be honest, I have been expecting us to lose this game since the draw was made, so it’s not even a case of feeling entitled to a win. We rarely fare well in games of this type. So a defeat wouldn’t surprise me. 1-0, 2-0, 2-1, we take it on the chin and move on. 

I just think that if the game has been given the go ahead, it should be because all involved are expecting a well contested affair in the spirit of the competition. If not, the authorities and the clubs should see sense.

I don’t follow the EFL Trophy closely enough to comment, but we know the EFL are not the most sensible organisation, so lopsided games shouldn’t be a surprise under rules like that.

As for Villa v Liverpool, Villa’s young players will emerge with a lot of credit. They lost 4-1 and only had a five minute spell where they couldn’t offer any resistance. The gulf between Salah, Mane and co. and Villa’s youngsters was much larger than the gulf our players will face tomorrow.

I fully expect tomorrow to be a tough game and fully respect Chorley and the run they have had to get this far. But our lads should be looking to make a good contest of it and come off the pitch having no need to make any excuses come what may.

They are still part of a second tier club and one of the leading academies in the country, after all. This is their moment to shine.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Southampton v Shrewsbury is off. Surely if we could have presented evidence that we were in an impossible situation in the realms of Shrewsbury’s experience, our game would have suffered the same fate?

Maybe we did ask for a postponement. No-one knows. But all the noises suggest that in fact we are backing our youngsters to compete irrespective of the outbreak.

We have Kaide Gordon in the first team squad for Championship games, so if nothing else it’d be consistent with our ethos. We feel confident in our youngsters’ abilities.

To be honest, I have been expecting us to lose this game since the draw was made, so it’s not even feeling about entitled to a win. We rarely fare well in games of this type. So a defeat wouldn’t surprise me. 1-0, 2-0, 2-1, we take it on the chin and move on. 

I just think that if the game has been given the go ahead, it should be because all involved are expecting a well contested affair in the spirit of the competition. If not, the authorities and the clubs should see sense.

I don’t follow the EFL Trophy closely enough to comment, but we know the EFL are not the most sensible organisation, so lopsided games shouldn’t be a surprise under rules like that.

As for Villa v Liverpool, Villa’s young players will emerge with a lot of credit. They lost 4-1 and only had a five minute spell where they couldn’t offer any resistance. The gulf between Salah, Mane and co. and Villa’s youngsters was much larger than the gulf our players will face tomorrow.

I fully expect tomorrow to be a tough game and fully respect Chorley and the run they have had to get this far. But our lads should be looking to make a good contest of it and come off the pitch having no need to make any excuses come what may.

They are still part of a second tier club and one of the leading academies in the country, after all. This is their moment to shine.

Comparing the team Villa put out to ours isn't fair as we would have a far higher percentage of our u23s and u18s training with and/or playing for our first team squad.

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Take no notice Lancs. We’re all a bit tetchy on this forum right now.

Tetchy?  TETCHY?????

you speak for yourself, nob-edd!

what right have you got to go around apologising for everyone, with your high and mighty hoity toity la-di-dah attitude!  What are yer, some sort of bloody saint?

people like you make me want to puke!  Go shove your opinions right up your...

... oh yeah... I guess we are a bit, ain’t we!

fair do’s then. No hard feelings, eh!  

3 minutes ago, sage said:

Comparing the team Villa put out to ours isn't fair as we would have a far higher percentage of our u23s and u18s training with and/or playing for our first team squad.

Why is it unfair?

OK, yes, our very best young players won’t be available. I am not entirely sure all of Villa’s were either.

If the game is going ahead, the assumption would be that we still have enough talent to be reasonably competitive. We are being asked to play a team from the sixth tier of English football after all. It’s not ideal but when you really think about it, that shouldn’t be beyond academy players of any description at an established Championship club. 

Villa’s youngsters were being asked to play against a much higher standard of player, some of whom were less than two years removed from winning the Champions League. 

If they can give a good account of themselves in that scenario, why can’t we?

If the game goes ahead, we have to hold the boys to account. It would be patronising to do otherwise.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

Why is it unfair?

OK, yes, our very best young players won’t be available. I am not entirely sure all of Villa’s were either.

If the game is going ahead, the assumption would be that we still have enough talent to be reasonably competitive. We are being asked to play a team from the sixth tier of English football after all. It’s not ideal but when you really think about it, that shouldn’t be beyond academy players of any description at an established Championship club. 

Villa’s youngsters were being asked to play against a much higher standard of player, some of whom were less than two years removed from winning the Champions League. 

If they can give a good account of themselves in that scenario, why can’t we?

If the game goes ahead, we have to hold the boys to account. It would be patronising to do otherwise.

Indeed.  It would be a shame to miss an opportunity for a good old moan wouldn't it!?

Another big difference going into this is that Chorley will be a proper TEAM, full of players who know each others games inside and out, playing regularly together as a settled group, used to defying expectation through unity, advancing through familiarity and pure underdog spirit.

Getting absolutely everything they can from a more technically limited group of players is what their division is all about. It's how they survive, technical.ability will be secondary to graft, although that doesn't mean they won't have some technically capable players.

Whatever we manage to cobble together will be a very talented bunch of young players but not necessarily used to playing together - we've seen already this season that when we drop first team players into our U23 games it can upset of natural rhythm, cohesion & balance of the team.

Also no U18/U23 side out there is ever really set up to focus on defending, nearly all games at that level are very open affairs (like Sage & Boycie and their illicit meetups) so our kids will probably be a bit naive to any potemtially nullifying tactics of an opposition such as Chorley, and their enthusiasm to attack may well lead them to being easily countered.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

There’s absolutely no way you’ve ever been in a tear-up?

Different times young man and Belper was a very different place. At the time was the punk era giving way to the skinheads so plenty of groups.

Always just fist fights tho - none of the glassing, bottling, knives etc that you see nowadays. Few pints, occasional dust up (if you came across the Barrasses or the Pettipierres in town), chips and home.

6 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Indeed.  It would be a shame to miss an opportunity for a good old moan wouldn't it!?

To be honest, I am more concerned about everything else happening at the club than tomorrow’s game. I certainly won’t be chief moaner tomorrow.

Like I said, I just hope we put in a creditable display and don’t let the game get away from us.

I don’t think that’s an unreasonable expectation despite the less than ideal circumstances that we face.

2 hours ago, Lancashire lad said:

Well here goes..it's been joy this week to have the crack with the Derby fans our here, Unfortunately your coming up the M6 with the under 18/19s but it's still Chorley FC biggest ever Match in there 130+ history. 

The generosity shown by your supporters has been absolutely brilliant, you've donated to our virtual match ticket offer in numbers and tonight you've even donated to the half time raffle that we've set up the Chorley fc supporters trust.

Good on you all?

Fair play to you coming on here with such dignity and respect.

I still hope our kids tonk your team though.

But, after that, I hope Chorley have a very successful season. Hopefully, the TV money will keep the club afloat.

Best wishes. COYR ?

People do realise that Chorley have already beaten Wigan....ok they are a mess.... it also a very strong pretty much full strength Peterborough! They aren’t a team full of old men they are full of 22 year olds with football league experience that fell out of the pro game probably very much to do with bad luck bad timing and Covid strangling the life out of clubs finances.

A team thrown together the day before of teenagers with just a couple of our regular 23s will find it very very difficult.

3 hours ago, Lancashire lad said:

Well here goes..it's been joy this week to have the crack with the Derby fans our here, Unfortunately your coming up the M6 with the under 18/19s but it's still Chorley FC biggest ever Match in there 130+ history. 

The generosity shown by your supporters has been absolutely brilliant, you've donated to our virtual match ticket offer in numbers and tonight you've even donated to the half time raffle that we've set up the Chorley fc supporters trust.

Good on you all?

Cheers and good luck to you and your club regardless of the result tomorrow. Such a shame that we couldn't have a proper game in a packed ground. We've had great times at Accrington and Forest Green in recent years and both games were played and supported in the true meaning of what the FA Cup is all about. I would've loved to have been there this weekend. 

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

I’m nee fussed about the fact we are playing the sprogs. I think we’ll win anyway. No problem. 

I hope so - we already hold the joint worst defeat in a final and worst beating by a non league team at home.  Think we can do without some other horrific record, such as only second tier team to loose to a side this far down the pyramid in 150 years. 

We are really taking a depleted youth side up there later today. Many years ago i was playing at Chorleys level. It would have been a test for our 1st team nevermind the young kids later today. The magic of the cup will never disappear. Chorleys cup dream marches on or Derby kids have a day they wont forget. Thats football. Forget Covid for 90 mins. 

I still think Chorley will win but what an opportunity for some young Derby player. If one of our kids goes out & has an absolute stormer then their pathway to the first team is potentially accelerated. 

The chorley lads will be no mugs they are paid to play & still play at a decent standard of non league, its still grown men against boys. It might be a bit of an eye opener for our young lads. When you're in an academy you think you're brilliant & going to make it. Going out to Chorley might, in the long run make some of them kick on in their development 

We're excited over this way. As they say, what will be will be, may the best team win and all that. 

Again, may I echo the thoughts of all Chorley fans for your support with any match day initiative we've thrown at you all. I am trying to find out what the virtual attendance is. 

Only 43 of our golden goals remain, hopefully they'll go this morning. Good luck in our virtual games! 

https://cfcst.org/store/#!/Golden-Goal/p/95160770/category=0

7 hours ago, Jourdan said:

To be honest, I have been expecting us to lose this game since the draw was made, so it’s not even a case of feeling entitled to a win. We rarely fare well in games of this type. So a defeat wouldn’t surprise me. 1-0, 2-0, 2-1, we take it on the chin and move on. 

When you say “all the noises” are you talking about the club or social media? If you’re talking about the club well of course they’re “backing the youngsters” what do you expect the club to say?

good luck to the young lads, great opportunity for them and a great opportunity for Chorley to make the 4th round this week ( footballing terms ) couldn’t of gone better for them, hopefully they put on a good performance and if we lose we lose bigger fish to fry in staying up! 

personally think this will be the last match before football is suspended for a month or so let’s enjoy it

5 minutes ago, Topram said:

personally think this will be the last match before football is suspended for a month or so let’s enjoy it

Think you've hit the nail on the head here. It's crazy to think when the draw was made that us home fans were dreaming of being there live to watch it. 

Archived