v Chorley (A) FA Cup Match Thread

Day

38 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

I have no idea. Lancashire Lad has been on all week touting tickets for Chorley and today we find that those generous Rams who obliged are helping to fund a heating system to make sure Chorley take full advantage of our plight.

I don’t have a blinking clue what you’re going on about 

Why on earth would Chorley not take advantage of this situation? ? 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I agree although I wouldn't necessarily consider conceding 3 or 4 as a disgrace. 

Villa are playing a collection of under 18s and under 23s v a Liverpool side including Salah, Mane, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Milner and Minamino.

It’s 1-1 at half time.

Conceding 3 or 4 against a side from the sixth tier would be very poor irrespective of who plays.

We might not be able to match them in some areas - size, strength, physicality and so on - but there are ways we can set ourselves up to ensure it’s competitive.

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

I'll just leave this here, and remind you that we got the positive tests on the day after. 

The tents were ordered aweek ago due to the horrendous long forcast .They were due to go out on the pitch weds but brought forward to Tues ( as I explained earlier in the week) . If you had a full squad the heaters were still ordered

1 hour ago, 24Charlie said:

Call me cynical but they can afford to heat the pitch to make sure the game is on in order to take full advantage of our situation. This way they can ensure there won’t be a postponement due to Chorley FC. This leaves us either sending a depleted junior side or forfeit the game.

Both options give Chorley a great chance of progressing to round 4.

It’s not exactly sporting. A sporting thing to do would be let nature freeze it off and then play the game as it was meant to be. If they then get a giant killing, good on them

And they have the nerve to ask us to buy virtual tickets.

I’ll be keeping my money in my pocket. These Chorley chancers can do one.

Not very sporting ! Honestly that is a cheap shot. It’s a big day for Chorley. This is the cup. They have drawn a well known side with some history.They want this game on. They are sportsmen. We have been unfortunate but what would our reaction be in their position? .. For me this is part of the story of the cup. It’s as much a piece of sport and history given these events ... Chorley triumph at our expense because they had to initiative and intent to go for it with pitch heaters, laying off the beer and taking an opportunity while we had our Covid problem .. or Derby’s academy kids puffed their chests out, gave it all and proved their credentials under difficult circumstances.. it’s the game, it’s sport, it’s a contest it’s dreaming .. I am loving the drama the uncertainty, the hopes and fears  ... that’s sport. It’s going to be a cracking match and a great “virtual” day out.  

2 minutes ago, rad1919 said:

This is madness. This bloody virus is clearly out of control. Just give the tie to Chorley. Lives are on the line.

Game has to be cancelled, I'd be surprised if this FA Cup reaches its conclusion, just bin it FFS.

1 minute ago, Lancashire lad said:

The tents were ordered aweek ago due to the horrendous long forcast .They were due to go out on the pitch weds but brought forward to Tues ( as I explained earlier in the week) . If you had a full squad the heaters were still ordered

Mate, I just hope it’s a good game of football .. good luck to you guys and congratulations for good planning and forethought. I hope our young guns give you a game .. I am sure they will. Bet you’re physically stronger but who knows what happens in situations like this. Give our kids some flat even grass and it’s going to be interesting .. may the best team win. It’s the FA cup .. this is a story and half for both teams. 

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Villa are playing a collection of under 18s and under 23s v a Liverpool side including Salah, Mane, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Milner and Minamino.

It’s 1-1 at half time.

Conceding 3 or 4 against a side from the sixth tier would be very poor irrespective of who plays.

We might not be able to match them in some areas - size, strength, physicality and so on - but there are ways we can set ourselves up to ensure it’s competitive.

Maybe but I don’t think it will be a disgrace (and by definition the lads have performed disgracefully) if they say lose 3:0.

Sorry to see you disagree.

1 hour ago, Lancashire lad said:

The Chorley chancers paid thousands of pounds a week ago, when you hadn't even had the covid tests . They were desperate for the match  to be on.Its Chorley FC biggest ever game.  The did not chance it 

Take no notice Lancs. We’re all a bit tetchy on this forum right now.

16 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

It’s 1-1 at half time.

It’s a completely different situation that Villa are in. It’s simply not comparable at all.

It is a complete u23s side that Villa have fielded. We don’t know how many of them train with the first team usually and maybe just didn’t this week....Its at Villa Park so very much what they’d be used to (both sides)

Tomorrow we aren’t fielding anything other than maybe 2/3 of our 23s that would usually start in a PL2 game and will filed several U18s. It’s also on a non league ground that will be a very very different experience for our lads compared with what the home side are used to.

Dont try and jump the gun and look to criticize already. Tomorrow there will be 10-14 players with league experience on the pitch.....only one of them will have a Derby shirt on!!

9 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Maybe but I don’t think it will be a disgrace (and by definition the lads have performed disgracefully) if they say lose 3:0.

Sorry to see you disagree.

OK, maybe disgrace is the wrong word. I just don’t think we should accept losing 3 or 4-0 and beyond, just because the kids are playing.

Otherwise, the club should be pushing for a postponement if they feel the boys aren’t ready to compete.

As it is, the club haven’t done that so while yes we should expect that the lads will be overmatched in some ways, they can still showcase why they have been recruited by a club and academy as well regarded as ours.

Yes, tomorrow’s result will have a massive asterisk whatever happens, but I’d be hoping for a respectable and creditable performance.

Chorley winning 3 or 4-0 wouldn’t suggest that.

16 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

Game has to be cancelled, I'd be surprised if this FA Cup reaches its conclusion, just bin it FFS.

The enemy is at the gate, I am your commander, get behind me so we can all run away together.

FFS .. what about fight, rising to a challenge, commitment, self belief, never say die, opportunity for youth, trying something., oh yes .. and respecting the cup - something this great club has actually won, respect for our opponents and their efforts to make a pitch playable with limited resources and at financial risk to themselves. 

unless there is an irresponsible risk to health or we don’t have enough players then the game must be played in the best traditions of sport. 

I find the 'We can't physically compete with kids argument a strange one'.

Anytime you see a fight on a night out, you'd always back the young gym bunny professional athlete against a 30 year old builder who plays football part time. 

They might have the edge when it comes to knowhow, but we shouldn't be out muscled.

19 minutes ago, Lancashire lad said:

I don’t think you have to come here justifying how your club has taken steps to ensure this game goes ahead. It’s a chance for your club to set themselves up financially for a good year, maybe longer, and I applaud your dedication to the cause.

Whatever the result tomorrow I hope your club’s future is assured for another year because I wouldn’t rule out a suspension of the season before long. All the best. (after tomorrow, like) ?

1 minute ago, ShoreRam said:

That is all....

So if our team on the day has had its tests and followed the protocols then you are ok for it to continue ? .. I am, but you previous post suggested something else I think ? 

3 minutes ago, Rev said:

I find the 'We can't physically compete with kids argument a strange one'.

Anytime you see a fight on a night out, you'd always back the young gym bunny professional athlete against a 30 year old builder who plays football part time. 

They might have the edge when it comes to knowhow, but we shouldn't be out muscled.

Where do you live?? Belper?? 

Archived