v Preston North End (H) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

I am very impressed by Rooney's handling of the players. His interviews are very mature for his managerial experience but interviewers have been trying to trip him up for years. He seems exceptional to me. Let us see what he does in the transfer market. A lot of players would like to play for Wayne Rooney when he shares his vision for Derby County.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jono said:

No James, “1066 and all that”  was a satirical book about British history written some time ago, by WG Sellar and  RJ Yeatman it’s is well worth a read. 

it is an amusing study of power and the whys and wherefores of Britain through time as it grew to be “top nation” from 1066 onwards -  and its subsequent decline.

PS I am aware of the English civil war, just in case you were in doubt ?

I'll swap you "The Death of Stalin" for "1066 and all that" ?

12 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

You can’t criticise the players for a lack of effort today, that’s a ridiculous take. They put in a monumental shift, considering we only had 10 men for 70 minutes, and we were up against a total bamford of a referee. And it worked, we kept Preston at bay for the full length of time that the game was meant to be played. Our friend Mr Bond just decided to carry on until his Preston team scored instead - it wasn’t our players performances which were “disgusting”.

That said, there is a point to be made with all these late goals being conceded. It definitely is a massive problem - I think someone said we’ve now dropped 17 points in the last 15 minutes of games. If that stat is true, then that’s absolutely shocking. It’s not a lack of effort, it’s a lack of bottle and the mental strength to see a game out. And that really is concerning - those are exactly the sorts of traits you associate with a relegation threatened side. If we get better at seeing games out, we will be safe. If we don’t... then we’re in serious serious danger.

I always think someone doesn't know what they are talking about when they trot out the 'lack of bottle' or 'they wanted it more' clichés.

We conceded late because we were tired due to playing with 10 men and under using substitutes (and the ref was a knob). We conceded late in previous games because our fitness levels were poor and we had to sit back.

21 minutes ago, James Pond said:

I'll swap you "The Death of Stalin" for "1066 and all that" ?

One of the best bits in "1066 and all that" is:

Magna Carta decreed that ‘nobody be put to death, except for some reason, that everyone should be free, except the peasants … [and that] the Barons should not be tried except by a special jury of other Barons who would understand. Magna Charter was therefore the chief cause of Democracy in England, and thus a Good Thing for everyone (except the Common People).’

35 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

You can’t criticise the players for a lack of effort today, that’s a ridiculous take. They put in a monumental shift, considering we only had 10 men for 70 minutes, and we were up against a total bamford of a referee. And it worked, we kept Preston at bay for the full length of time that the game was meant to be played. Our friend Mr Bond just decided to carry on until his Preston team scored instead - it wasn’t our players performances which were “disgusting”.

That said, there is a point to be made with all these late goals being conceded. It definitely is a massive problem - I think someone said we’ve now dropped 17 points in the last 15 minutes of games. If that stat is true, then that’s absolutely shocking. It’s not a lack of effort, it’s a lack of bottle and the mental strength to see a game out. And that really is concerning - those are exactly the sorts of traits you associate with a relegation threatened side. If we get better at seeing games out, we will be safe. If we don’t... then we’re in serious serious danger.

Luton: 1 point dropped 

Watford: 1 point dropped 

Cardiff: 2 points dropped 

Bournemouth: 2 points dropped 

QPR: 1 point dropped 

Bristol City: 1 point dropped 

Wycombe: 2 points dropped 

Coventry: 2 points dropped 

Preston: 1 point dropped 

I counted wrong, it’s actually 13 points dropped. Still a shocking statistic. It’s all from a lack of goals rather than a lack of bottle. We give ourselves too much to do in the last 15 minutes. 

4 minutes ago, sage said:

I always think someone doesn't know what they are talking about when they trot out the 'lack of bottle' or 'they wanted it more' clichés.

We conceded late because we were tired due to playing with 10 men and under using substitutes (and the ref was a knob). We conceded late in previous games because our fitness levels were poor and we had to sit back.

Don’t recall mentioning anything about “wanting it more”, in fact, that’s the exact point I’m arguing against. That might have been the case earlier this season, but it certainly wasn’t today. As you say, the players gave everything across the 90 minutes today, in very difficult circumstances. We just had one lapse in concentration, which led to a very good goal, after the game should have finished. Difficult to look past blaming the referee for that one. 

I do think the mental strength of the team is something worth looking into when you’re conceding that many late goals across the season though. I agree that our poor fitness levels didn’t help earlier in the season, and neither has the fact that our attack has been so poor across the season, so we’ve always been under extra pressure at the back. But I don’t think a “lack of bottle” can be ruled out either, especially with such a young, inexperienced squad.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Don’t recall mentioning anything about “wanting it more”, in fact, that’s the exact point I’m arguing against. That might have been the case earlier this season, but it certainly wasn’t today. As you say, the players gave everything across the 90 minutes today, in very difficult circumstances. We just had one lapse in concentration, which led to a very good goal, after the game should have finished. Difficult to look past blaming the referee for that one. 

I do think the mental strength of the team is something worth looking into when you’re conceding that many late goals across the season though. I agree that our poor fitness levels didn’t help earlier in the season, and neither has the fact that our attack has been so poor across the season, so we’ve always been under extra pressure at the back. But I don’t think a “lack of bottle” can be ruled out either, especially with such a young, inexperienced squad.

Define 'lack of bottle' and point out which of today's players deserve this label.

23 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

One of the best bits in "1066 and all that" is:

Magna Carta decreed that ‘nobody be put to death, except for some reason, that everyone should be free, except the peasants … [and that] the Barons should not be tried except by a special jury of other Barons who would understand. Magna Charter was therefore the chief cause of Democracy in England, and thus a Good Thing for everyone (except the Common People).’

I always thought the "Magna Carta" was made for King Johns wobbly table, He was called to Clottedmede to taste the local ale, Only to find it a little to distastefull, He asked the brewer to add more hot water to which he did, The town of Clottedmede was hence forth called Runnymede...for the Common People ?

23 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Again, I’ve literally said in both my posts that I don’t think this applies to today’s game, given the circumstances. It’s more a general point across the season.

Well thats not true. You wrote it on this match day thread and portrayed this game as apart of an ongoing problem.

But...leaving aside today's game, define 'lack of bottle' and name the players who have shown this trait throughout the season.

1 hour ago, Mafiabob said:

That’s the problem with us lot.... and society in general, we always need someone to blame.

Rooney got it wrong from 70 minutes onwards today, just my opinion of course - irrespective of what you all think of the officiating (didn’t see a lot wrong apart from granted and seeing it again, Sibley incident) but we had defending to do and that was criminal at the end by us.

We deserved a point, but let’s not hide the fact we were out on our feet at 70 and better, fresher outlets were needed. Especially with Tuesday in mind.

Gone from perfect game management to not so in 2 games..... we are harder to beat and applaud Rooney for that, but we need to keep backing up wins now..... 

I actually think he got it right until the 93rd minute.

The best players and most organised collection of players to get us that point were on the field. They didn’t look like scoring and even when you said they were out on their feet, Preston didn’t look like scoring.

Then in the 93rd he takes our target and hold up man off. The player who was a handful all games, battles for every ball. Any flick on won gives a 20 second breather.

What has Rooney done in reality? He’s made it easy for Preston. He’s added on time, he’s also bought on a player who at this point in the game offers zilch. To make it worse, watch JHI on the goal - he stands still letting his man go and therefore gives space for Brown to cut inside. 

No sub made, we draw that game 0-0 and get a deserved point.

Rooney can’t control Waghorn’s decision and chasing a 1-0 win by taking off a Shinnie and putting on Sibley would have been suicidal today. His game plan of shutting up shop worked perfectly until the last minute madness sub.

In Knight, Jozwiak and CKR he has three glorious players who will run their heart out. Three perfect players for a 0-0. He took two of them off and we ended up with a defeat.

Anyway, onto the next one. Best thing about this season is the next game is literally around the corner.

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

I am very impressed by Rooney's handling of the players. His interviews are very mature for his managerial experience but interviewers have been trying to trip him up for years. He seems exceptional to me. Let us see what he does in the transfer market. A lot of players would like to play for Wayne Rooney when he shares his vision for Derby County.

Just hope all those attributes that you mention can be converted into points. That's all that matters ultimately. 

Archived