v Preston North End (H) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

11 minutes ago, David said:

Refereeing is not an easy job, but that doesn’t make them immune to criticism. 

Clubs have complained to the EFL over the standard of officiating and rightly so, 

Managers are forced to speak to the media following a game, why not match officials? When they have a stinker they are quietly demoted to a league below for a few games.

How is that fair on the clubs below? 

Anyway, they need to stop being protected, come on camera, explain why decisions were made, let us fans understand the reasons why as it looks wildly inconsistent at the minute. 

I agree with giving them mics like in rugby. Then you’ll kill two birds with one stone. 

First instance - you’ll get a explanation why that decision was made, even if you disagree.

Second instance - it’ll cut dissent.

As for protecting..... I still feel there is need for this. It’s a win at all costs mentality nowadays, it filters down to the kids teams on a Sunday as well.

Seen refs in tears this season on the Racecourse because of abuse from 10/11 years olds. They see it on the TV and through social media and think it’s ok to do. That’s with encouragement from coaches and parents as well.

They need protecting at all levels, there’s a shortage year on year currently - it needs to be reversed.... this is where FA, PGMOL, EFL need to make it attractive for someone to take it up. 

It’s a rewarding thing to do, but I’m talking from experience - you’ll never get perfection, just like football players, there’s never going to be full consistency. They will get it wrong.

Take for instance they have a microphone shoved in their face after the game of there was a howler - what do you expect them to say?

When do you see a striker asked straight after a game about a sitter they've missed to win or save a match? 

We talk a lot about being careful with what you want to say to people and what they are thinking. An instant reaction after the game won’t help.

You want justice or just to feel better about yourselves knowing he/she may have made a mistake and we catch them out straight after?

They need protecting at times, just like players and managers when something awful has happened (Lawrence/Bennett etc) 

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I agree with giving them mics like in rugby. Then you’ll kill two birds with one stone. 

First instance - you’ll get a explanation why that decision was made, even if you disagree.

As for protecting..... I still feel there is need for this. It’s a win at all costs mentality nowadays, it filters down to the kids teams on a Sunday as well.

Seen refs in tears this season on the Racecourse because of abuse from 10/11 years olds. They see it on the TV and through social media and think it’s ok to do. That’s with encouragement from coaches and parents as well.

They need protecting at all levels, there’s a shortage year on year currently - it needs to be reversed.... this is where FA, PGMOL, EFL need to make it attractive for someone to take it up. 

It’s a rewarding thing to do, but I’m talking from experience - you’ll never get perfection, just like football players, there’s never going to be full consistency. They will get it wrong.

Take for instance they have a microphone shoved in their face after the game of there was a howler - what do you expect them to say?

When do you see a striker asked straight after a game about a sitter they've missed to win or save a match? 

We talk a lot about being careful with what you want to say to people and what they are thinking. An instant reaction after the game won’t help.

You want justice or just to feel better about yourselves knowing he/she may have made a mistake and we catch them out straight after?

They need protecting at times, just like players and managers when something awful has happened (Lawrence/Bennett etc) 

The only way I feel we could fairly interview refs is the following day when they have had the same opportunity to review the key decisions from multiple angles like the media who are trying to catch them out will have done. 

But by that time no one is interested. 

2 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

The only way I feel we could fairly interview refs is the following day when they have had the same opportunity to review the key decisions from multiple angles like the media who are trying to catch them out will have done. 

But by that time no one is interested. 

The narrative will always give the officials a kicking..... it’s hard to make people understand better. Once the narrative takes hold - it’s hard to explain.

2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I’m up for mics, I would also go with 4 linesmen/women so both sides of the pitch are covered fully all game.

What I want is to understand what they saw, that’s all, even if it’s a sorry I didn’t see it. That’s ok, I’m not looking to ridicule them in front of camera.

Managers have to come out, hold their hands up every week. Why are the refs not given the same opportunity, or at least make it a choice.

If fans/players were given that understanding, I’m sure the abuse would be cut down a lot over time.

Just watching the Leeds game now, their keeper comes out and jumps all over Mee, doesn’t get the ball, Burnley stick it in the net. Result? Free kick. 

That might be his only mistake all game, but that mistake could cost Burnley points today. Will they find out why? Probably not, and that will only create more unrest with fans over match officiating.

8 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I agree there are a couple of things football could learn from Rugby. Mics is a definite yes for me and clamping down more on dissent. It’s OK to ask the referee and put your point of view across in the right way but, the abuse they have to face is still excessive. You don’t see it in Rugby. Don’t they have a rule whereby the ref can move the penalty ten yards further up the pitch for dissent? Maybe I’m making that up.

5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Don’t they have a rule whereby the ref can move the penalty ten yards further up the pitch for dissent? Maybe I’m making that up.

We used to have it in football.

11 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

The narrative will always give the officials a kicking..... it’s hard to make people understand better. Once the narrative takes hold - it’s hard to explain.

I'm watching Leeds Vs Burnley, Burnley have a good goal chalked off, Keeper comes out collects the ball and clatters into a Burnley player, Ball breaks free and Burnley score, TV replays clearly show the Ref cocked up, If anything it should have been a penalty to Burnley.

I'd love to see the ref explain that decision away...2 weeks after the game.

8 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I agree there are a couple of things football could learn from Rugby. Mics is a definite yes for me and clamping down more on dissent. It’s OK to ask the referee and put your point of view across in the right way but, the abuse they have to face is still excessive. You don’t see it in Rugby. Don’t they have a rule whereby the ref can move the penalty ten yards further up the pitch for dissent? Maybe I’m making that up.

10 yard rule still applies in RU I believe.

I don’t think some will ever be happy, fans will see stuff with rose tinted specs (how we laughed when Martin, Marco et al bought FK and Pens for us).

Refs are like MPs, council figures, Traffic Wardens etc..... they’ll always get the brunt from the public. 

Just now, Mafiabob said:

10 yard rule still applies in RU I believe.

I don’t think some will ever be happy, fans will see stuff with rose tinted specs (how we laughed when Martin, Marco et al bought FK and Pens for us).

Refs are like MPs, council figures, Traffic Wardens etc..... they’ll always get the brunt from the public. 

Bit harsh on traffic wardens, what have they done to be compared with referees? ?

3 minutes ago, James Pond said:

I'm watching Leeds Vs Burnley, Burnley have a good goal chalked off, Keeper comes out collects the ball and clatters into a Burnley player, Ball breaks free and Burnley score, TV replays clearly show the Ref cocked up, If anything it should have been a penalty to Burnley.

Just seen it, agree think they’ve got it wrong there unless there’s a rule around not “challenging” the keeper whilst he’s in the air and then it’s the GK jumping into him..... That’s the only conclusion..... 

1 minute ago, David said:

Bit harsh on traffic wardens, what have they done to be compared with referees? ?

I know it’s a joke, but this is sadly the exact response I knew I was going to get..... why I believe they should be protected. 

12 minutes ago, James Pond said:

Radio commo said VAR couldn't get involved as the ref blew before the ball went in the net. So two huge errors.

An awful challenge by their keeper - came out leading with his knee straight into the Burnley players back - how could the ref give it the other way?

26 minutes ago, David said:

I’m up for mics, I would also go with 4 linesmen/women so both sides of the pitch are covered fully all game.

What I want is to understand what they saw, that’s all, even if it’s a sorry I didn’t see it. That’s ok, I’m not looking to ridicule them in front of camera.

Managers have to come out, hold their hands up every week. Why are the refs not given the same opportunity, or at least make it a choice.

If fans/players were given that understanding, I’m sure the abuse would be cut down a lot over time.

Just watching the Leeds game now, their keeper comes out and jumps all over Mee, doesn’t get the ball, Burnley stick it in the net. Result? Free kick. 

That might be his only mistake all game, but that mistake could cost Burnley points today. Will they find out why? Probably not, and that will only create more unrest with fans over match officiating.

The Dirties have been given every single decision in that first half, not convinced by the penalty they were awarded either. Shocking referee in that first half....

Archived