v Preston North End (H) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

24 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I think it could be. No Waghorn for three games. Only a few days before the next match. CKR looked tired in the 2nd half as did a couple of others. Playing with ten men is hard work so fitness could be tricky - although the postponement and extra subs could mitigate this. Worrying knock to Bielik. No disasters, but lots of challenges. We know the players have the ability to be terrible and the blow from today could destroy their fragile confidence. It's Rooney's first test as a manager.

I honestly think that the Birmingham match is crucial. I'm certainly not being negative - I think that Rooney will sort this and we'll be stronger for it. But defeat against Birmingham and this looks like the end of the new manager bounce.

I always wanted to be a sports journalist, but I fell in love during my final year at University and needed a stable income - so I chose Banking. 

Stop giggiling at the back. In those days you had a job for life, even if you didn't live in London and had to ware outlandish multi coloured jackets on the Stock Exchange floor.

A journalistic cliche it may be, but the Bluenoses game is pivotal in so many ways. I hope we have the depth, and the legs.

Good luck lads.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, derbydaz22 said:

So are you saying if your not losing a game you would never ever make a sub?

Our it this way, with ten men I thought that looks like a mistake when we took both players off. It went pear shaped so it turned out the way that I thought it would. Both Colin and Kamil were well upfield holding players up.

34 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Really unlucky today. 11 v 11 we win that game comfortably. Still deserved a point, limited Preston to very little. Looked a threat going forward even with 10 men but being critical made some poor decisions in the final third that cost us chances and with 10 men we had to be even more clinical. But ultimately the disadvantage of only having 10 players meant we were unable to build any sustained pressure to increase our chances of winning the game.

Can understand why Rooney didn’t make subs until late in the game, the shape was good and we were dealing with Preston. Ideally he would’ve left Kazim on all game but he could barely walk by the end. Shows we need strengthening in that area to take the load of him.

We can say it’s our fault for being in the championship that we get poo refs but the standard they are currently setting is unacceptable. Darren Bond gave one of the worst reffing performances I’ve seen today. Extremely inconsistent and mostly against us. He was spot on with the red card but the foul against Jozwiak when he was through on goal was laughable, the number of lives he gave Preston players without booking them particularly Fisher, then his crowning glory not giving the absolutely blatant, stonewall, cast iron foul on Sibley which led to Preston winning the game. This game is another one in the bank where we haven’t had the rub of the green and if these truly even themselves out then we must have multiple dubious penalties and offside goals due us in second half of the season.

However, the biggest single reason for the result today is a brainless tackle from Waggy which has cost us big time!

Its done, we move on to two more tough but very winnable games. Lots of positives again and with this level of performance we  will get the results needed to pull. There are lots of teams in this league who are worst than us - Preston included. 

Well there is Wycombe

8 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

If anyone's wondering how at least one fairly partizan Preston fan viewed the match:

An inspired display by Rams goalkeeper David Marshall looked to have earned the hosts a gutsy point after the 20th-minute dismissal of Martyn Waghorn for an ugly studs-up challenge on Browne.

But Browne cut inside on the right and curled home a delightful effort past the Scotland keeper and into the far corner to reward a dominant North End.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55373134

?????????

1 hour ago, ck- said:

This is where the referee messed up. That was the only stoppage in injury time. 30s is generally allowed for a substitution. Any more than that and time gets added on. But the substitution only took 45 seconds, so the game should have been ended 15s over the 5 minutes. 

So he punished us for gamesmanship. Fair enough. But what about Preston's gamesmanship - all match long? Late on they had a guy injured who limped almost the entire length  of the Derby half along the touchline with Bond standing wimp like near him doing nothing, after doing the same while lay injured ignoring clear instructions to get off the pitch, a distance of at least 1.25 metres? Should have been a yellow. OR all those "professional fouls going on for the full 90 minutes? The only thing Bond didn't do for Preston is head the winner home. The "shot" was supposed to be a cross on to the ref's head!

24 minutes ago, wollatonram said:

we have to look at this result as a blessing and hopefully it will be a wakeup call to those that think this squad is good enough

I doubt Rooney thinks this squad is good enough and almost nobody seems to be saying that on here so I'm curious to know who you actually think has been woken up?

Just now, DavesaRam said:

So he punished us for gamesmanship. Fair enough. But what about Preston's gamesmanship - all match long? Late on they had a guy injured who limped almost the entire length  of the Derby half along the touchline with Bond standing wimp like near him doing nothing, after doing the same while lay injured ignoring clear instructions to get off the pitch, a distance of at least 1.25 metres? Should have been a yellow. OR all those "professional fouls going on for the full 90 minutes? The only thing Bond didn't do for Preston is head the winner home. The "shot" was supposed to be a cross on to the ref's head!

You mean Sinclair who sat on his arse for 3 minutes while they prepared a sub. 

3 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I doubt Rooney thinks this squad is good enough and almost nobody seems to be saying that on here so I'm curious to know who you actually think has been woken up?

Good management is about getting the absolute best from the resources available.

So far, Mr Rooney gets at least a B+, if not an A-.

14 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

If anyone's wondering how at least one fairly partizan Preston fan viewed the match:

An inspired display by Rams goalkeeper David Marshall looked to have earned the hosts a gutsy point after the 20th-minute dismissal of Martyn Waghorn for an ugly studs-up challenge on Browne.

But Browne cut inside on the right and curled home a delightful effort past the Scotland keeper and into the far corner to reward a dominant North End.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55373134

Eh ??.  I could have kept goal today.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

According to the BBC it was an inspired display by Marshall that nearly earned us a point. Makes it sound like they battered us, I don't remember it that way at all. 

BBC = Biased Broadcasting Company. That normally applies in terms of their political coverage, but it is also true for their football coverage as well.

26 minutes ago, James Pond said:

What I comment on or what I post is a choice I make, What you comment on or quote is a choice you make, Quite simple really.

As for investing in a TV Stream, I'll leave that to those who choose too, I choose not too.

Bit strange to comment on someone questioning the referee when you have not watched the match though.

12 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

?????????

I didn't think the bbc article reflected the game I watched, and was written by a preston fan despirate to spin it as positivly for PNE as he could. PNE were fairly rubbish, didn't create a lot and didn't test marshall a lot. You'd expect the team with the extra man to have more of the ball but I'd not describe it as a dominant performance from Preston.

I was so looking forward to this game. Ramstv kept cutting out and then Waghorn cut himself out. He missed our best chance and lost us the game. Ideally he will lose his place to Ibe, a rejuvenated Lawrence or Sibley.  He lacks the requisite skills to win matches on a regular basis but it costs a lot of money to get a big improvement. We will see what happens.

I have never left a game early .. Ever ... but when that went in I just switched it off. That was a kick where it hurts. We would have won if Waggy had controlled his dark side, but even so we did enough for points. Great work ethic from the team. Preston nothing special. ... Dog doo Sunday morning incoming ?

but ... to steal a line from Arni ... “I’ll be back” 

6 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

BBC = Biased Broadcasting Company. That normally applies in terms of their political coverage, but it is also true for their football coverage as well.

I suspect it's the local radio team who also have to file the match report for championship games (could be wrong though) but that write up is as biased and spin as you could possibly manage.

Archived