v Preston North End (H) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Turnstile said:

Supporting dcfc obviously.

Excellent. 

Then I fail to see the relevance of your earlier post... on a DCFC matchday thread... lauding Villa for achieving more than we did, under similar circumstances (having 10 men, in this case).

I do however concede that I'm not the brightest, so missing the point of your post... or your thinking behind such a statement, is almost certainly down to my lack of intelligence, and my initial response was more in keeping with that, as opposed to being a deliberate attempt to belittle your post, so at this juncture, I'm probably just better off saying Up The Rams, and stealthily sidling away...

giphy.gif

There's a very good article on the Athletic about referees and how they are selected, rated and assessed.

Having read that they are under a lot of pressure from their governing body. It appears they get extra points for making 'big' decisions - there's no wonder so many of them appear to be out to make a name for themselves. It's how they get on in the game.

Also interesting that the best rated referees in a division earn the plum ties - whether promotion or relegation "six-pointers".

As we have constantly been involved in promotion tussles - and this season relegation tussles - we can assume to be getting the best of what is available. Scary.

39 minutes ago, angieram said:

There's a very good article on the Athletic about referees and how they are selected, rated and assessed.

Having read that they are under a lot of pressure from their governing body. It appears they get extra points for making 'big' decisions - there's no wonder so many of them appear to be out to make a name for themselves. It's how they get on in the game.

Also interesting that the best rated referees in a division earn the plum ties - whether promotion or relegation "six-pointers".

As we have constantly been involved in promotion tussles - and this season relegation tussles - we can assume to be getting the best of what is available. Scary.

Scary indeed, Angie! Interesting that they get brownie points for getting big decisions right, and thus get matches of higher prestige as a result. But how does that work for Saturday’s buffoon? Rams tv reckoned that he’d refereed more Derby County matches than any other ref. How does that happen?

Oh I know - take the EFL to court and beat them! 

20 minutes ago, angieram said:

After having a pretty successfull local playing career, Hanging my boots up and having a go at Managing...not very easy and not very successfull, I decided to take my Referees course, I passed(as do most)I got my credentials(a liitle orange booklet)that said I was a level 3 standard Referee, I applied to the Derby Taverners League and there began a journey of one mans hopes of making a difference in the game.

I'll always remember my 1st game, I gave 3 penalties ? it was on Meadow Lane in Alvaston, I made some por decisions and took some stick, I had a bad game, But will remember 1 player coming upto me after the game and saying "well done ref you did your best"unfortunately my best wasn't good enough, I didn't referee the game through a players eyes, It was done through my teachings at the Referees course, I decided then to referee with common sense and found it to be a damn site easier than by the "book", Travelling to places like Wirksworth, Cotmanhay, Stanley Common and Kilburn and being the only game there which makes you the only referee there makes it a very lonely place, The fee would be fixed plus mileage, Dealing with the local support was the worst, Abused, Threatened, Made fun of ie specsavers, Does your wife mark you out of 10 in the bed, And yes all refs are marked down by both teams, So the better marks you get the more the leagues take note.

I got to level 2 and ran the line in the Taverners league cup final, I was in my mid 40s by then and getting better games with a more educated player that in ways respects what you do, But not necessarily agrees with your decisions, After 6-7 seasons I'd had my fill of local football, I noticed it was getting harder to ref as more clubs were being formed and less refs to do the matches, Going to the above villages on a bitterly cold December Sunday Morning to get £15 tops to take abuse, To officiate on a cow patch of a pitch and hope your car hasn't been vandalised for making what the supporters thought was a wrong decision, I decided to get intouch with the Taverners League to strike my name off the list.

We're all people with different characteristics, And see the exact same things differently, There's assesors in the stands looking at those performing on the pitch, Who asseses the assesors? Those who take up the game will only get on by going by the book, And this is where football imo falls down, Officialdom, Tachnicalities, We're right you're wrong attitude instead of the over used words...Use Common Sense.

58 minutes ago, James Pond said:

After having a pretty successfull local playing career, Hanging my boots up and having a go at Managing...not very easy and not very successfull, I decided to take my Referees course, I passed(as do most)I got my credentials(a liitle orange booklet)that said I was a level 3 standard Referee, I applied to the Derby Taverners League and there began a journey of one mans hopes of making a difference in the game.

I'll always remember my 1st game, I gave 3 penalties ? it was on Meadow Lane in Alvaston, I made some por decisions and took some stick, I had a bad game, But will remember 1 player coming upto me after the game and saying "well done ref you did your best"unfortunately my best wasn't good enough, I didn't referee the game through a players eyes, It was done through my teachings at the Referees course, I decided then to referee with common sense and found it to be a damn site easier than by the "book", Travelling to places like Wirksworth, Cotmanhay, Stanley Common and Kilburn and being the only game there which makes you the only referee there makes it a very lonely place, The fee would be fixed plus mileage, Dealing with the local support was the worst, Abused, Threatened, Made fun of ie specsavers, Does your wife mark you out of 10 in the bed, And yes all refs are marked down by both teams, So the better marks you get the more the leagues take note.

I got to level 2 and ran the line in the Taverners league cup final, I was in my mid 40s by then and getting better games with a more educated player that in ways respects what you do, But not necessarily agrees with your decisions, After 6-7 seasons I'd had my fill of local football, I noticed it was getting harder to ref as more clubs were being formed and less refs to do the matches, Going to the above villages on a bitterly cold December Sunday Morning to get £15 tops to take abuse, To officiate on a cow patch of a pitch and hope your car hasn't been vandalised for making what the supporters thought was a wrong decision, I decided to get intouch with the Taverners League to strike my name off the list.

We're all people with different characteristics, And see the exact same things differently, There's assesors in the stands looking at those performing on the pitch, Who asseses the assesors? Those who take up the game will only get on by going by the book, And this is where football imo falls down, Officialdom, Tachnicalities, We're right you're wrong attitude instead of the over used words...Use Common Sense.

I’m all for common sense, but one mans common sense is another’s injustice. 

You see pundits, managers and players in the pro leagues and they want it every way they can..... referees will always be much maligned.

The winner takes all attitude we have nowadays has negated the common sense approach for me. Look at the replies on here by some, it’s all they do - look to blame and talk about the referee constantly, hardly a word about the game..... there’s always an easy target to blame.

Brave man on the Taverners mate. I reffed a Derbyshire Cup game once at Racecourse. Kingfisher (old Blue Boy for those who know) against a team from outskirts of Chesterfield. I was 18 - they kicked lumps out of each other for 90 minutes. 

Even if I was 6ft 5 and 18 stone I would have been treated the same. Common sense or not I would have been treated the same.

Too much emphasis nowadays on what pundits say etc - how does an official get a chance to explain what happened when you get instant reaction on twitter by one of the blue tick pundits wailing continually about a “bad” decision. 

It’s laughable some suggest there’s a conspiracy against us at times.

13 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Brave man on the Taverners mate. I reffed a Derbyshire Cup game once at Racecourse. Kingfisher (old Blue Boy for those who know) against a team from outskirts of Chesterfield. I was 18 - they kicked lumps out of each other for 90 minutes. 

As pubs, The Kingfisher was never The Blue Boy, or vice versa.  Two totally separate pubs.

EDIT:
Oops... If however, you are referring to players who played for The Blue Boy subsequently "transferring" to The Kingfisher (presumably when The former closed down?), then I have stuck my nose in where it was neither warranted, or relevant!  In which case, I apologise for my initial misunderstanding of your wording!  

4 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

As pubs, The Kingfisher was never The Blue Boy, or vice versa.  Two totally separate pubs.

EDIT:
Oops... If however, you are referring to players who played for The Blue Boy subsequently "transferring" to The Kingfisher (presumably when The former closed down?), then I have stuck my nose in where it was neither warranted, or relevant!  In which case, I apologise for my initial misunderstanding of your wording!  

Hahaha it’s ok - I think your edit hits the nail on the head ?

I think it was ever thus! My dad qualified as a ref nearly 70 years ago. He reffed local matches and wouldn’t take me with him to many games because I was distressed about the abuse he received. He did take me to a game that had a team that only spoke Polish as I wouldn’t understand them ! He told me afterwards that they threatened to throw him in the brook!

His high spot was running the line for a preseason friendly between the Rams and Sileby Town!

1 hour ago, Mafiabob said:

I’m all for common sense, but one mans common sense is another’s injustice. 

You see pundits, managers and players in the pro leagues and they want it every way they can..... referees will always be much maligned.

The winner takes all attitude we have nowadays has negated the common sense approach for me. Look at the replies on here by some, it’s all they do - look to blame and talk about the referee constantly, hardly a word about the game..... there’s always an easy target to blame.

Even if I was 6ft 5 and 18 stone I would have been treated the same. Common sense or not I would have been treated the same.

Too much emphasis nowadays on what pundits say etc - how does an official get a chance to explain what happened when you get instant reaction on twitter by one of the blue tick pundits wailing continually about a “bad” decision. 

It’s laughable some suggest there’s a conspiracy against us at times.

The Kingfisher in Chadd was one of my local watering holes(ex Chadd Lad)also knew alot of the Blue Boy regulars in the 80s, An old friend Dave Childs(now passed)and his Wife Lesley ran the place...talk about the Wild West nowt on the Blue Boy...lol

Archived