v Preston North End (H) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

I think some of the Waghorn criticism is a little over the top (bit like his challenge I know). 

It wasn't a totally malicious hack or a two-footed jump of a challenge. It was one of those tempters...he looked up, wanted to show he cared and drove forward but realised he wasn't going to get there. He should have stood off but instead dove in to show effort and very clumsily studded his opponents ankle. 

Looks horrible, probably a red, and if I were the receiving player I would definitely think so. More mis-timed and reckless than downright dangerous but unfortunately his momentum and angle resulted in it being so. 

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, James Pond said:

I'm watching Leeds Vs Burnley, Burnley have a good goal chalked off, Keeper comes out collects the ball and clatters into a Burnley player, Ball breaks free and Burnley score, TV replays clearly show the Ref cocked up, If anything it should have been a penalty to Burnley.

I'd love to see the ref explain that decision away...2 weeks after the game.

This is part of the problem with too many of the current batch of referees. I think the one in charge of this match is fairly new to the PL and he's making the game all about him with his posturing - hopefully he will improve. There are still good refereeing role models operating at the top level - in my opinion the likes of Marriner, Taylor, Oliver and Atkinson demonstrate how the job should be done. They make mistakes, as do we all in our work, but the rapport they have with players helps to diffuse most contentious incidents.

However, there's a dearth of good referees and the PGMOL, with Mike Riley in charge, appear to be burying their heads in the sand with no apparent interest in playing a part in pulling together officials, managers and players. A better relationship between these interested parties might lead to greater respect and a reduced level of criticism from fans.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why is 'reckless' being seen as an excuse? He didn't give any thought to his opponents safety, that's as bad as malicious. 

Not an excuse... But him being rash.. reckless. is way better for my mind than malicious. As I said, if you receive the bad tackle you don't care much for it either way. 

I don’t think players need to apologise for getting sent off for a tackle. It’s a physical game. Occasionally a tackle will be mistimed or slightly crude and a red card will result. But it wasn’t a deliberate attempt to hurt the player. 

the ref wasn’t great. The Jozwiak / fisher decision was bizarre. At the end he simply played on for too long. Therefore the ref is inevitably the target for fans venting their emotions.

But we were equally to blame. The late and very slow substitution probably cost us. Over 90 minutes - even before the sending off - we weren’t creating very much. Shaun Barker noted on commentary how often Preston gave the ball straight back to us, but we were as bad. It was a scrappy game and there wasn’t much play that will live long in the memory. 

Our key ‘creative’ players - Byrne, Buchanan, Lawrence, Holmes, knight, shinnie, waghorn, CKR, and Jozwiak - all compete but they just can’t unlock a packed defence. None of them can go past people. Jozwiak is the best. He can hold the ball but even he doesn’t have the pace or trickery to open teams up. He draws fouls and free kicks but doesn’t create direct assists. The whole squad has a total of just five assists between them. our two top assist-makers last season were Martin and Bogle and it’s a fact that we are missing something that they provided. 

23 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

This is part of the problem with too many of the current batch of referees. I think the one in charge of this match is fairly new to the PL and he's making the game all about him with his posturing - hopefully he will improve. There are still good refereeing role models operating at the top level - in my opinion the likes of Marriner, Taylor, Oliver and Atkinson demonstrate how the job should be done. They make mistakes, as do we all in our work, but the rapport they have with players helps to diffuse most contentious incidents.

However, there's a dearth of good referees and the PGMOL, with Mike Riley in charge, appear to be burying their heads in the sand with no apparent interest in playing a part in pulling together officials, managers and players. A better relationship between these interested parties might lead to greater respect and a reduced level of criticism from fans.

It’s the grassroots where it’s the problem, shortages year on year..... we see the scenes in the professional leagues and thinks it’s acceptable to abuse and harass as it’s been “normalised” to do so. 

30 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Why would anyone do it? Constant abuse, threats of violence, actual violence. There are much more gratifying ways to spend your sunday mornings or saturday afternoons.

4 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

He got the big decision correct and then for the other decisions he should have been more card happy and it was never a foul by Joz when he got through and it was a foul on Sibley. He didn’t make any howlers just inconsistent which is what is happening at every level at the moment. 

The Jozwiak decision and the Sibley decisions WERE big decisions though, in the context of the match. And they WERE howlers. Darren Bond is also a repeat offender in terms of him just being awful at his job. 

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The Jozwiak decision and the Sibley decisions WERE big decisions though, in the context of the match. And they WERE howlers. Darren Bond is also a repeat offender in terms of him just being awful at his job. 

Was it not Bond who didn’t see the bad foul on Sibley right  in front of his eyes  in the lead up to QPR’s goal earlier this season ? 

12 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Why would anyone do it? Constant abuse, threats of violence, actual violence. There are much more gratifying ways to spend your sunday mornings or saturday afternoons.

I'm a current grassroots referee, happy to answer any questions about anything related (in a separate thread) ?

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Please start one?

I hope people who comment on it want to understand better instead of using it as a place to vent or joke..... I won’t hold my breath mind 

49 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I don't think we all agree they were howlers. For me, they probably should have been given our way but neither, IMO were clear cut especially in the instant the ref had to make a decision. 

38 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I don't think we all agree they were howlers. For me, they probably should have been given our way but neither, IMO were clear cut especially in the instant the ref had to make a decision. 

In what way weren't they clear cut? Sibley got wiped out and Jozwiak didn't even make contact with the defender..

I am looking forward to the second half of the season when we will get some big decisions in our favour. I can’t really think of one even 50:50 decision that has changed the game in our favour this season but there are definitely lots that have gone against us. Forest offside, Huddersfield offside, yesterday, no penalty v Stoke. If you’re being generous you can say all of those could go either way and they all went against us. 

I am not blaming refs, it’s a tough job and I don’t believe any go out with any pre conceived ideas, or not many do anyway. But the law of averages says we must get some go our way at some point so when we do we’ll need to capitalise. 

Never mind. Reasonable performance in the circumstances and didn’t see anything to suggest we’ll not be absolutely fine this season. Just a bit slack at the end and a silly strikers tackle from Waghorn. 

Archived