v Preston North End (H) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

8 minutes ago, rammieib said:

We didn’t deserve any win but we didn’t deserve to lose.

Tactically Rooney got it wrong at the end.

Rooney didn't do anything wrong for me, holding out for so long and limiting them to hardly if any shots on target he did his job, just can't legislate for a bad refereeing decision or not clearing your lines.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GenBr said:

Does anyone know why the pitch looks so atrocious this season? Thought it looked really bad and getting worse - I know times are tough, but we've usually had a great team looking after the pitch.

Yeah it does look poor - maybe we didn’t get time to relay it during the short close season?

1 minute ago, ck- said:

Yes. But it’s the time as it stood at 90 minutes. Anything above that is what occurs in extra time. And I don’t think there were sufficient stoppages to warrant the amount of time above the 5 minutes. 

If the ref needs to add on, say 5 minutes and 30 seconds, the figure shown at 90 minutes is 5. In theory, 5 would be the number for anything between 5:00 and 5:59. Add on the quite significant time it took for our substitution to take place and the goal came well within the possible time frame.

3 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Rooney didn't do anything wrong for me, holding out for so long and limiting them to hardly if any shots on target he did his job, just can't legislate for a bad refereeing decision or not clearing your lines.

What was the bad refereeing decision?

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

What happened, sorry, only followed on BBC and SKY?

with maybe 2 minutes left sibley was upended in the centre circle.  A free kick to us would no doubt have seen us in the attacking half but as it was it led to a break from them that led to a sustained spell of pressure resulting in the goal.

10 minutes ago, Monty said:

Yeah it does look poor - maybe we didn’t get time to relay it during the short close season?

nah, we bought the budget rolls from b and q

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Agree with a lot of the posts in this thread, but again find myself feeling that the reaction to that performance and result would have been wildly different had it been Cocu in charge.

I tend to find that Cocu made his own luck but Rooney hasn't been able to catch a break so far. Funny that.

20 minutes ago, eezzeetiger said:

Or the bbc are not biased, but you might(surely are) be

I like to think I can be objective about our performances.

If the BBC reporter thinks an 'inspired performance by David Marshall' kept us in the match, they either:-

(a) Dont know who David Marshall is

(b) Didnt watch the match, or;

(c) Are biased

Even using the BBC own stats, Peston had 4 shots on target. 

1 has ended up in the back of our net, 1 literally dropped into Marshall's hands, 1 was a routine near post save and I don't remember the 4th.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

I like to think I can be objective about our performances.

If the BBC reporter thinks an 'inspired performance by David Marshall' kept us in the match, they either:-

(a) Dont know who David Marshall is

(b) Didnt watch the match, or;

(c) Are biased

Even using the BBC own stats, Peston had 4 shots on target. 

1 has ended up in the back of our net, 1 literally dropped into Marshall's hands, 1 was a routine near post save and I don't remember the 4th.

Thank you. The BBC still jazz themselves about the big four regardless of how they play, or how the opposition play. And if eezzeetiger had ever watched their political output and then "fact-checked" them he would see what I mean.

11 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

What happened, sorry, only followed on BBC and SKY?

Sibley and their defender go for a bouncing 50/50 feet first which Sibley wins but is taken out. In fairness the Preston defender is backing out of the challenge, but there’s still contact and it’s still a foul. It’s one that you see all the time and it’s a simple free kick to give.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Disappointing result. 
a few split second decisions decided the game. 

but we will now have to rotate a squad with limited options. 

I would rather replace Waghorn. I never really rated him as a long term solution. Just misses too many clear cut opportunities but better on the wing.

15 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Rooney hasn't been able to catch a break so far.

Brentford missed two open goals, Wycombe had one bounce off the line and out, someone else failed to capitalise on a mix up between Clarke & Marshall. All things that would have fallen the opposite way earlier in the season- like losing to Watford with their only shot on target, which also happened to be a 'wonder strike

We were defensively pretty solid against Watford, Huddersfield, Cardiff, Forest, QPR, Bournemouth but in each game conceded one goal - the sort of goal that we've not conceded under Rooney. That hasn't always been down to our actual defending though 

Making your own luck is ******** 

Today was the first time under Rooney someone's capitalised on our only real defensive mistake to win the game. 

Rooney's also had the luck of a fully fit CKR & Bielik falling into his hands at just the right time - don't underestimate how important they've been to us looking more solid defensively, CKR was only off the pitch for 2 mins today and look what happened!

25 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

If the ref needs to add on, say 5 minutes and 30 seconds, the figure shown at 90 minutes is 5. In theory, 5 would be the number for anything between 5:00 and 5:59. Add on the quite significant time it took for our substitution to take place and the goal came well within the possible time frame.

I know your right, not being awkward  but on days like this we NEED someone to blame. Give us that least

its Roundheads and Cavaliers .. to quote 1066 and all that

Cavaliers = wrong but romantic

Roundheads = right but replulsive 

Archived