v Preston North End (H) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

16 hours ago, Andicis said:

It's not about favours, it was almost comical levels of bad refereeing at times. The standard of English refereeing is embarrassing. 

He got the big decision correct and then for the other decisions he should have been more card happy and it was never a foul by Joz when he got through and it was a foul on Sibley. He didn’t make any howlers just inconsistent which is what is happening at every level at the moment. 

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

He got the big decision correct and then for the other decisions he should have been more card happy and it was never a foul by Joz when he got through and it was a foul on Sibley. He didn’t make any howlers just inconsistent which is what is happening at every level at the moment. 

Let's just hope that that ref's decision's yesterday won't be the difference between Championship and League 1 football next season. 

8 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Just to be controversial, I’ve just watched the “foul” on Sibley just before they scored and, IMO, it wasn’t such a stonewall foul as many of us first thought (including me). They both went for the ball fairly and their momentum caused them to bump into each other. Yes, Sibley touched the ball whereas the Preston player didn’t and it could easily have been given but, I can see why it wasn’t and it wasn’t such a howler as we’re making out as far as I’m concerned. So, apart from being a bit too lenient for the fouls on Joz, I’m not that convinced the ref got too much wrong.

9 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

Let's just hope that that ref's decision's yesterday won't be the difference between Championship and League 1 football next season. 

Please see my response above.

We battled hard and deserved to hang on for a draw but, in my opinion, the ref could easily given the foul against Sibley just before they scored and could easily have given a foul against Joz rather than the other way round but, neither were clear cut referee howlers.

The facts are, we had to dig in, work hard and try to hang in there for a least a point after the foolish tackle by Waghorn (it was stupid tackle that probably took away a great chance of picking up three points but let’s not have him hung drawn and quartered. He’s not the first and won’t be the last. Remember 12 months ago Bielik did the same after 17 minutes. Luckily, Charlton were not good enough to make us pay).

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Do you think that is because we have relied too much on youngsters who lack the experience to see games out? I think that may have been a factor in some games

WR has wisely relied less on the academy players (the Duracell bunny being the notable exception)

Absolutely, I think that may well be a major factor

21 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Just to be controversial, I’ve just watched the “foul” on Sibley just before they scored and, IMO, it wasn’t such a stonewall foul as many of us first thought (including me). They both went for the ball fairly and their momentum caused them to bump into each other. Yes, Sibley touched the ball whereas the Preston player didn’t and it could easily have been given but, I can see why it wasn’t and it wasn’t such a howler as we’re making out as far as I’m concerned. So, apart from being a bit too lenient for the fouls on Joz, I’m not that convinced the ref got too much wrong.

That's pretty much what I thought but didn't have the balls to post it.

44 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Not controversial at all.

It’s facts - a lot of us lot like to blame something else, I get it - it’s devastating when it’s a last minute loss and passions run high straight after the game. But some of the comments around social media after the game were bordering on laughable for me around the ref.

I thought the same as you on Sibley, I knew after the game I was on a uphill battle - the problem when I’m trying to describe the officials meaning is that I’m coming at it from a neutral point of view - i just usually get though the “you always defend refs” “you’re bias” “you’re not a fan” comments a lot..... fair enough if you think it, but all I’m trying to make you all do is understand a little better around what it’s like to officiate a football game.

I thought, in terms of marking him yesterday out of 10 - he was a 7. Nothing disastrous, nothing amazing. I didn’t think he was that bad at all..... but the narrative as it’s always been these last couple of years on various issues being a Derby fan is to blame everyone else..... 

EFL charges, Spy gate, Rotherham (postponed last week), Gibson and countless other things.... we have that victim mentality now. It’s not healthy.

We are still in a dire position, we dug in well yesterday no doubt - but judging by reaction some saying it was outstanding and brilliant yesterday - it wasn’t, we just dug in.

2 wins in 10 since Cocu has left. If I get this right 5 goals scored in that time? 

Once again - why has the bar been set so low for Rooney but it was much higher for previous managers. 

Takeover - we can’t even get the messaging right on that, it’s been a mess since it was announced what was happening. You either keep it quiet from the start, or if it’s gone sour..... just say it and we can move on somehow. For the record I’m not that excited about it, just want the drama to end at Derby County.

We need to back up wins..... we need goals.

1 hour ago, ziggyram59 said:

It won't be. And for anyone to start suggesting that now is utterly grotesque.

If we do go down it will be because we have consistently been not good enough over the course of the entire season. 

Let's start focusing on what WE can do within our sphere of influence, stop playing the victim then we will be fine. 

An apt response. 

I just hope Louis Sibley gets shown the video of Waghorn's sending off, then one of his sending off for the U23s and is lectured on letting your team mates down. 

Then let him start against Birmingham because he at least tries a shot every now and then. 

25 minutes ago, David said:

FC2C9D1D-0981-4D98-AA7F-911709BFA640.png

Fare play to him for saying that.

There's now a couple of posters who after a days thought are not crucifying the man in the middle, I have played the game(at a very good level)I've managed the game(not at a very good level)and yes I have Refereed the game(Derby Taveners League)for some 6-7 seasons back in the 90s, You'll be very surprised how differently the Ref sees the game against the players and fans, Before you start the game you know there's an uphill battle against Players, Managers, Coaches and fans.

This season imo Refereeing has been made very simple, VAR in the Premier, No fans to abuse you but still imo we have referees who find this job difficult, Listen to Nuno Espírito Santo Wolves Manager explaing Lee Masons performance the other day, IMO he spoke out while other Managers keep their opinions in house.

All about opinions, Football will never change.

8 minutes ago, James Pond said:

Fare play to him for saying that.

There's now a couple of posters who after a days thought are not crucifying the man in the middle, I have played the game(at a very good level)I've managed the game(not at a very good level)and yes I have Refereed the game(Derby Taveners League)for some 6-7 seasons back in the 90s, You'll be very surprised how differently the Ref sees the game against the players and fans, Before you start the game you know there's an uphill battle against Players, Managers, Coaches and fans.

This season imo Refereeing has been made very simple, VAR in the Premier, No fans to abuse you but still imo we have referees who find this job difficult, Listen to Nuno Espírito Santo Wolves Manager explaing Lee Masons performance the other day, IMO he spoke out while other Managers keep their opinions in house.

All about opinions, Football will never change.

Refereeing is not an easy job, but that doesn’t make them immune to criticism. 

Clubs have complained to the EFL over the standard of officiating and rightly so, 

Managers are forced to speak to the media following a game, why not match officials? When they have a stinker they are quietly demoted to a league below for a few games.

How is that fair on the clubs below? 

Anyway, they need to stop being protected, come on camera, explain why decisions were made, let us fans understand the reasons why as it looks wildly inconsistent at the minute. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

It won't be. And for anyone to start suggesting that now is utterly grotesque.

If we do go down it will be because we have consistently been not good enough over the course of the entire season. 

Let's start focusing on what WE can do within our sphere of influence, stop playing the victim then we will be fine. 

Absolutely right and I still maintain that, over the course of the season, we probably get as many arguable decisions in our favour as those against.

2 minutes ago, David said:

Refereeing is not an easy job, but that doesn’t make them immune to criticism. 

Clubs have complained to the EFL over the standard of officiating and rightly so, 

Managers are forced to speak to the media following a game, why not match officials? When they have a stinker they are quietly demoted to a league below for a few games.

How is that fair on the clubs below? 

Anyway, they need to stop being protected, come on camera, explain why decisions were made, let us fans understand the reasons why as it looks wildly inconsistent at the minute. 

1. No one should be absolved from criticism in any shape or form, A bad performance today could be followed up with a good performance tomorrow.

2. Referees did go infront of the camaras after the games, This was a while back now, The FA or the PGMOL decided this wasn't good for them, As when asked why they made a mistake or why a player was sent off, An explanation was followed by ridicule in the press and was heard all the way to Sydney Australia.

3. There's far far too much at stake in the game today, Making Refs a professional body and paid a very good wage has not helped the situation imo, Players have bad games and so do officials, Waghorns challenge or the Ref not giving Sibley a freekick, A split second decision has effected a game...who'd want to be a human being aye ?

Archived