v Preston North End (H) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Why would anyone do it? Constant abuse, threats of violence, actual violence. There are much more gratifying ways to spend your sunday mornings or saturday afternoons.

I have an old friend from way back when(also a ref)a big fella that wasn't easily intimidated, One Sunday league game he was taking some awfull abuse from a poor pub team, You know the ones, Those who go out on the lash on a Saturday night, Still half cut on Sunday Morning and think they are the worlds most gifted of players.

One particular player wouldn't leave him alone mouthing off at every opportunity, The last thing he said to him was questioning his parenthood, The next thing...the player has a busted nose...this was during the game, My friend never Reffereed again, It was never reported as my friend was too well know in Derby and the player even rang him up to opologise.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Chester40 said:

I think some of the Waghorn criticism is a little over the top (bit like his challenge I know). 

It wasn't a totally malicious hack or a two-footed jump of a challenge. It was one of those tempters...he looked up, wanted to show he cared and drove forward but realised he wasn't going to get there. He should have stood off but instead dove in to show effort and very clumsily studded his opponents ankle. 

Looks horrible, probably a red, and if I were the receiving player I would definitely think so. More mis-timed and reckless than downright dangerous but unfortunately his momentum and angle resulted in it being so. 

some moaning about his decision on a 50 50 ball but isn't that the issue, both players went in.  I have only seen it once and I think it was a clear red but it seemed like the ball spun away from him or hit a divot.  Maybe I'm wrong, did anybody else see that

21 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Thank you. The BBC still jazz themselves about the big four regardless of how they play, or how the opposition play. And if eezzeetiger had ever watched their political output and then "fact-checked" them he would see what I mean.

So the BBC (including Radio Derby) are more biased than a fan?

Think about it

3 hours ago, Andicis said:

The Jozwiak decision and the Sibley decisions WERE big decisions though, in the context of the match. And they WERE howlers. Darren Bond is also a repeat offender in terms of him just being awful at his job. 

The Jozwiak one - no foul committed by any player. No guarantee we go and score.

The Sibley one - again it is a foul but there is 2 waves of play between it and the goal. The opportunities to stop the attack were there and we didn’t do well enough in that one particular scenario.

11 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

The Jozwiak one - no foul committed by any player. No guarantee we go and score.

The Sibley one - again it is a foul but there is 2 waves of play between it and the goal. The opportunities to stop the attack were there and we didn’t do well enough in that one particular scenario.

Look, I haven't said at any point we couldn't have done better regardless, my point is they are huge decisions the officials blatantly got wrong which had a big impact on the outcome of the game. I think you know this too, so I don't know why you're fighting this case. 

3 hours ago, Wazztie16 said:

I'm a current grassroots referee, happy to answer any questions about anything related (in a separate thread) ?

Excellent. You are most welcome. Referees deserve our sympathy.

We know that referees deliberately affect the game by blowing when they shouldn’t; not blowing when they should; waving cards around for effect etc. They do have a subconscious desire to effect the game but we should understand why.

Obviously a chap takes up the whistle in order to take control and make their own life more meaningful. Many referees live shallow, empty and miserable lives. They are the lost men. The people who get ignored and want to say stop! Look at me. I exist you bstrds. For whatever reason their day jobs are unfulfilling. Some are teachers. Some work in insurance. Some may be cross dressers. Whatever the individual motivation may be, they have a fundamental need to take charge and put on the uniform. So the referee is absolutely there to interfere, to impose, and to say look at me, this is my territory. see me - I am cook of the roost.

Secondly I’m sure you will agree that all referees need to be seen.

Refereeing is an act of display which is ultimately related to the need to strut about. This activity mirrors other display behaviours similarly intended to enhance the chances of successful breeding. An invisible referee will not command attention.  This is not to suggest that the referee consciously understands this hidden motivation. Nor does it infer that they actually achieve greater evolutionary success as a result, but this is the underlying psychological motive for all the strutting about, running backwards, arm waving, etc. It is honestly analysed and well explained in the book “Blowing the Whistle” by Stuart Carrington.

finally we should all recognise that it is impossible to have an impartial referee.

The behaviour of the ref will be affected by pheromones,  body language, and the dynamics of behavioural dominance. If you challenge a referee aggressively you will be challenging this dominance and cause him to produce increased levels of testosterone. This is why many refs are totally bald. As a result his judgement will get worse not better. Sometimes the levels of testosterone are so elevated that the referee and linemen engage in wrestling each other to the floor during the half-time interval. 

All of the players on the pitch must - sooner or later - get into line and achieve a harmonious pecking order with the referee as dominant male. Goalscorers  are a particular threat. Players who strip off their shirts and display their physique to the crowd will inevitably attract the attention of the dominant male and will receive the card waving gesture which re-establishes the required hierarchy. 

I offer this assessment in the spirit of goodwill and with all due respect to @Mafiabob and yourself.

ultimately we just have to let you all get on with it and understanding is the key to acceptance.

2 hours ago, nottingram said:

I am looking forward to the second half of the season when we will get some big decisions in our favour. I can’t really think of one even 50:50 decision that has changed the game in our favour this season but there are definitely lots that have gone against us. Forest offside, Huddersfield offside, yesterday, no penalty v Stoke. If you’re being generous you can say all of those could go either way and they all went against us. 

I am not blaming refs, it’s a tough job and I don’t believe any go out with any pre conceived ideas, or not many do anyway. But the law of averages says we must get some go our way at some point so when we do we’ll need to capitalise. 

Never mind. Reasonable performance in the circumstances and didn’t see anything to suggest we’ll not be absolutely fine this season. Just a bit slack at the end and a silly strikers tackle from Waghorn. 

I think you forget about 15 other penalty shouts! 

24 minutes ago, eezzeetiger said:

You didn't think about it, are you biased?

Re-stated: there is not a chance that the BBC, including Radio Derby, is more biased than a fan. So yes i confess to a slight amount of bias here or there, yes! Mainly along the lines of how important Derby County are in the grand scheme of things! But 1i haven't used thenotion of my impartiality over lots of yeras, whilst remaining biased in what I say or report.

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

we should all recognise that it is impossible to have an impartial referee

honestly I don't think impartiality has anything to do with it - though I can see in non-covid times a vocal home crowd might influence at the margins. It's a hard job and some of them are not top drawer.  And is there a country where the standard is better? Dunno

33 minutes ago, Turnstile said:

Supporting dcfc obviously.

Excellent. 

Then I fail to see the relevance of your earlier post... on a DCFC matchday thread... lauding Villa for achieving more than we did, under similar circumstances (having 10 men, in this case).

I do however concede that I'm not the brightest, so missing the point of your post... or your thinking behind such a statement, is almost certainly down to my lack of intelligence, and my initial response was more in keeping with that, as opposed to being a deliberate attempt to belittle your post, so at this juncture, I'm probably just better off saying Up The Rams, and stealthily sidling away...

giphy.gif

There's a very good article on the Athletic about referees and how they are selected, rated and assessed.

Having read that they are under a lot of pressure from their governing body. It appears they get extra points for making 'big' decisions - there's no wonder so many of them appear to be out to make a name for themselves. It's how they get on in the game.

Also interesting that the best rated referees in a division earn the plum ties - whether promotion or relegation "six-pointers".

As we have constantly been involved in promotion tussles - and this season relegation tussles - we can assume to be getting the best of what is available. Scary.

Archived