The DCFC Fans Confessional Box

Day

19 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

But I have to say, I truly thought Cocu would be "The one".  It was only gut instinct, but it was much more than blind faith. 

Yep.

I also thought that about Clough Jr, Mac1, Clement, Mac 2, Rowett, Lamapard, and Cocu. #COYR

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew 100% that we would get battered in the second leg at Leeds and switched It off when they scored only to be told by my son to switch It back on because Marriott had scored before half time 

Phil Gee would go on to play for one of the top teams in Europe and play multiple times for England  

but my best, I have mentioned on here before, I went to Ronaldo’s debut for Man United, and said to my mate as we walked out of the ground that he would never make It as a footballer and I could mark him out of the game  

I thought Conor Sammon was going to be a big player for us after his first goal. Pace, power a clever touch and a nice finish.

Video on the link

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2012/09/Derby-5-watford-1#t=2:06

I still maintain that there times when he showed some excellent technical ability, quick feet, some good touches... but they're rather crowded out by the times he showed none of that!

Like others Jim Smith was my biggest misjudgment. I was 18 at the time and the main thing that put me off was that he was bald with hair patches on the side as well as wearing really naff ties. 

The other one was Rasiak. I thought he was going to be an absolute donkey, again mainly based on his hair which looked like it had been cut by Peter Beardsley’s Mum.

Not sure why it’s always about hair with me. When Cocu was appointed I wasn’t a fan of his foppish do but reflected on my previous transgressions of being so judgemental about Jim Smith and Rasiak Barnet’s and was fully behind him. I fully believed we would win the premier league in 5 years with a team made up fully of academy graduates, who read Marcel Proust in their spare time whilst listening to the anthem of the European Union. Alas I got that wrong as well.

I’m now throwing my support behind a guy who’s on hair transplant number 3. 

John Gregory will sort us out, came to us from Villa....then...We'll bounce back no bother (how young and foolish I was)

Ther 3 Amigos have brought in a load of money, things are on the up now (see above)

Phil Brown is going to be an awesom manager (as above)

Why have we signed steve howard?

Savage is going to be a class signing and get us competing against the average sides at least.

Nigel Clough is going to be like Brian Clough

We're mad getting McClaren....look how rubbish he was at Forest

Rowett is one of us, proper Ram

Lampard is going to flop

Cocu is getting us up, quality manager

Rooney as manager is going to be a disaster

Basically, I'm mostly wrong about everything DCFC ?

Forgot to add, I thought both Butterfield and Anya were great signings and going to be just what we need.

57 minutes ago, Van Rammeister said:

1) Jim Smith - why would we want him? How wrong I was!!

2) Derek Hales - As a child I was beyond excited that we had signed the bearded Charlton goal machine.

3) Nigel Pearson - I was very optimistic that his ‘tough’ management would sort us out.

I was convinced that Jewell, Pearson, Rowett, Clemence and Cocu would be very successful. Shows consistency on my part at least.

14 minutes ago, Rampage said:

I was convinced that Jewell, Pearson, Rowett, Clemence and Cocu would be very successful. Shows consistency on my part at least.

All it really shows is that you're better off saying everyone is a rubbish appointment & doomed to fail - this is football we're talking about! Probably 80/90% of all appointments can be judged as a failure by the time the manager leaves, and in the modern game their average shelf life, well, it isn't long.

2 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I thought Pearson,whilst not someone I particularly liked (either his brand of football or personality) would probably get us promoted.

watching our pre season game against Walsall was so horrific,I knew within 45 minutes I was wrong.

It's funny listening to recent interviews with Rams players who were there at the time, they are all so positive and supportive regarding Pearson.

Paul Clement on the other hand, does not get the same love!

You'd have thought Clement had us in the relegation zone and Pearson in the hunt for promotion. Can't quite figure it out.

49 minutes ago, Coconut said:

I thought Conor Sammon was going to be a big player for us after his first goal. Pace, power a clever touch and a nice finish.

Video on the link

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2012/09/Derby-5-watford-1#t=2:06

I still maintain that there times when he showed some excellent technical ability, quick feet, some good touches... but they're rather crowded out by the times he showed none of that!

I made a similar mistake too. I'd seen in play for Wigan at Old Trafford and he was a real handful for their defence. Naturally when we signed him I thought this guy is gonna smash the Championship. I rushed straight to the bookies and banged a tenner on him being the leagues top scorer. What a donut.......and I don't mean him. 

Archived