The DCFC Fans Confessional Box

Day

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in 1988, I bought Lubos Kubik + Ivo Knoflicek a drink in the Pink Coconut when they were out with the other players .............................. & told them they would become Derby legends ?!?!?!?

(The younger fans won't know what I'm talking about - the players or the Pink Coconut !! )

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I'm not watching the second leg (v Leeds) 

I'm going to the quiz I've organised. 

Same here. All 3 of our previous fixtures against Leeds that season had been utterly miserable. We'd been massively outclassed in every single one. I had absolutely no hope going into that 2nd leg.

16 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I seem to recall being happy at getting one over Sheffield Wednesday and beating them to the signing of Blackman (or is my memory failing me?)

I do remember it as well. Blackman wanted to become for us because of Clement (who was the coach for Blackburn when he played there) 

Oh this is awkward ?

Forgive me @David for I have sinned. It's been 27 years since my last confession and I've been a very naughty boy. My sins are multitudinous but I'll restrict the list to four and will accept my penance with humility...

1) Mac 1 - unlike most, I thought I'd seen definite signs of a really useful team coming together towards the end of Clough Junior's reign and was massively underwhelmed when Stevie Mac was appointed. Didn't voice my opinion on here as I hate it when folk write off players / coaches with zero evidence. Really couldn't have been more wrong and that first season was joyous. About the only time I can recall in God knows how long where we could be a goal or even two down and far from being worried, I'd sit there knowing we'd still win. Sorry Stevie!!!

2) Cocu - no idea why but I was desperate to see him succeed. Probably because he had class in abundance, Twan and Chris were good guys too and despite having the worst luck of any set up I can recall, we played the best football at times last season since the fella mentioned above. Still grates massively that he never got a chance to build a side around Bielik. Such shitty luck but classy to the very end and I remain grateful for him seeing the potential in the polish lad and the supposedly over the hill CKR.

3) Wazza (maybe!) - Team selections, an apparent lack of understanding where players were best deployed and dropping Bielik after his promising first start and SIbley when we lacked goal threat, led me to be me seriously concerned. Still slightly worried that it's Bielik and the colossus that is Colin Kazim Richards that have sparked the renewal but there's something different about Wayne's entire demeanour most recently; in fairness, he's corrected early errors and performances are improving game by game, so with rapidly diminishing trepidation, he now has my full support. Sorry Wazza, I should never have doubted you! Please though, can we confirm recent promise by spanking Rovrum tomoz as if we can demolish Swansea but not beat the Millers I shall probably lose the plot.

4) Pearson - wasn't initially enthused by his appointment though I did manage to get on at 20/1 which softened the blow and soon warmed to the idea based on his track record and confidence shown by some knowledgeable types on here. Christ alive though, what a feckin train wreck. The man is clearly the entire basket short of a picnic! 

Moral of the story... I can pick a player, but I've not a feckin clue when it comes to managers.

How many Hail Marys and Our Fathers am I due, assuming I can remember the words ?‍♂️

6 minutes ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

25 Minutes into the play off semi at Blackburn in 1992, i turned to my mates and uttered the immortal words.

" At least we're keeping Speedie quiet."

Still get reminded of that comment all the time.

Yeah, I was listening on the radio as we went 2-0 up and my Dad started showing me the best place to sit at Wembley.

My biggest mistake was made in Jan '07.  After a full month of dithering, and considering whether to go with tradition to take our two weeks holiday at the end of May, I finally decided that we were so far ahead of third place, there was absolutely no reason whatsoever to consider the play offs.

Yep... Let's go for it!

Whilst you lot were lording it over a Wembley victory, I watched on... with tears in my eyes, if I'm honest... from a bar on Majorca!

Yes, it was still a fantastic day, of course, but I never got over the fact that I'd missed out on something special!

... Foolishly... less than a decade later, I did similar, but with the deliberate plan to arrive home on the last Saturday in May... Championship PO Final is always on the Bank Holiday Monday, right?

That was the year I eventually found out (after booking the holiday!) that they alternate the Championship PO final between the Saturday and Monday, to suit World Cups/Euros!
We landed at EMA at 13:55, and I walked in my front door at 14:57.  The telly came on as we kicked off.
Fortunately, I wasn't so full of regret come the final whistle, so at least I'll always have Bobby Zamora to thank for that one!  

My PO Final record so far?  Attended 1 (v Villa), lost 1.  ?

Archived