The DCFC Fans Confessional Box

David

I had visions of Martin and Marriott being our later day version of Keegan and Toshack racing each other to 20 goals a season .. each ... ?????.... I know, I know. I must sell my Roy of the Rovers comic compendiums one day 

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

After seeing Hayes and Hooper have his pants down away at Scunthorpe, I confidently predicted that Sir Jake Buxton would never be a football player as long as I had a hole in my arse.

Just to confirm, I do still have a hole in my arse.

I must have been one of the very few to have come away from the Blackpool game thinking we had a reliable old fashioned CB on our hands

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I don’t do player attachment, well not for many a year, but the loss of Goddard then Saunders in quick succession felt like a kick in the balls. Didn’t (quite) have tears but didn’t I mope around the house like someone had passed away. Proper players, and could have been a fantastic long term strike force.

So that's the reason you're not a Martin fanboy. Your heart was broken 30 years ago and you've been afraid to fall in love ever since.

Open up your heart, Mr Clooney, you won't regret it. There's a Colin-sized hole within. 

30 minutes ago, jono said:

I had visions of Martin and Marriott being our later day version of Keegan and Toshack racing each other to 20 goals a season .. each ... ?????.... I know, I know. I must sell my Roy of the Rovers comic compendiums one day 

Holy MacaRooney @jono that's a belter ? Chris was great, Jack mainly meh, but talk about setting the bar high! Keegan and Toshack in their pomp would be different current strikeforce in the Championship. Probs pretty much all of the Prem too. Can't praise your optimism highly enough though! Rather a dreamer be...

2 hours ago, ramit said:

i was certain that Nigel Pearson was just what the team needed.  Finally a real hardcore disciplinarian arriving who would kick our spoiled overpaid players into shape.  Didn't realize what delicate flowers they were, that they would go running pouting to mama Mel.  So yeah, i was wrong.

To be fair to the players, is there any evidence that they did this?

Regardless, after watching us punt the ball up in the air to a front two of Matej Vydra and James Wilson during a miserable afternoon in Bristol, I started to think it wasn't going to work even if the squad were willing to run through a brick wall for him.

6 hours ago, Coconut said:

I thought Conor Sammon was going to be a big player for us after his first goal. Pace, power a clever touch and a nice finish.

Video on the link

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2012/09/Derby-5-watford-1#t=2:06

I still maintain that there times when he showed some excellent technical ability, quick feet, some good touches... but they're rather crowded out by the times he showed none of that!

Still to this day have a lot of time for Conor Sammon. Never gave any less than 100%, obviously tried to work on his flaws, always a top professional.

And honestly, I still can't figure out why he was so crap?? The more I think, the more I think he wasn't crap at all. I remember Jamie Ward having a purple patch in the team with Sammon next to him. He just wasn't the goalscorer we needed. He didn't have a great ability with the ball but he could win his duels and play off to his more creative team mates. Bit like a certain Colin Kazim-Richards right now....

I guess that's my confession. Conor Sammon was alright. And I stand by it.

6 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

To be fair to the players, is there any evidence that they did this?

Regardless, after watching us punt the ball up in the air to a front two of Matej Vydra and James Wilson during a miserable afternoon in Bristol, I started to think it wasn't going to work even if the squad were willing to run through a brick wall for him.

Not fair, snatching away my excuse, i'm telling Mel

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Ignoring the irony of a posting a comment on a thread where folk are confessing to things they got wrong, that is basically sneering at folk who got things wrong, that you've known all along that Rooney was the right man for the job and were not surprised by the gradual improvement or the jolt in improvement seen against the Swans.

I commend your insight if saw the improvement in form coming, but if you had doubts too, it seems a bit unfair to mock others who also had concerns. Were you really as certain as your post implies? Genuine question as I've posted in this thread that I had doubts, as clearly I could not foresee what you seem to have and I wonder how I could not see what was apparently obvious from the start to your good self and some others.

I think possibly you're over tired.

I read that post as an opinion they held which has since been proved wrong.

4 minutes ago, Rev said:

I thought Butterfield was a brilliant signing, and would improve us no end.

He carried us up to the top of the table in the autumn. He was comfortably our best player in that period IMO.

Admittedly, he became bang average, but I still feel he got far more stick than he deserved. 

His career does seem to have fallen off a cliff though.

3 hours ago, r4derby said:

How can we let Rooney near the managers chair at the club. He’s not got a clue, it’s going to go wrong. I’ll be amazed if we even get a point with him in charge, let alone play a decent game of football...

Its only just occurred to me that you might actually be mocking yourself not others. So if in fact you are not one of the shrewdies, rather one of the Wazza-doubters like me, please disregard my earlier comment and accept my humble and sincere apology. 

51 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Still to this day have a lot of time for Conor Sammon. Never gave any less than 100%, obviously tried to work on his flaws, always a top professional.

And honestly, I still can't figure out why he was so crap?? The more I think, the more I think he wasn't crap at all. I remember Jamie Ward having a purple patch in the team with Sammon next to him. He just wasn't the goalscorer we needed. He didn't have a great ability with the ball but he could win his duels and play off to his more creative team mates. Bit like a certain Colin Kazim-Richards right now....

I guess that's my confession. Conor Sammon was alright. And I stand by it.

He also forged a good partnership with Robbie Keane for Ireland for a short time.

Another one I thought would do well for us was Tamas Priskin, another technical striker with good link up play, sort of resembled Rasiak in style, or maybe Jon Stead, but wasn't liked for a supposed lack of effort. If we'd have stuck with him I think he'd be remembered reasonable well now tbh.

Clough did try out a few prototype Chris Martins (in terms of link-upnbwing more important than goals) come to think of it, and finally landed on the right one.

Thought Paul Jewell might have made things a little less embarrassing. He didn’t.

Thought Nathan Tyson was a quality signing, lightening pace terrifies defenders. Found his way to the treatment room pretty rapid and that’s where he stayed.

Never wanted Nigel Clough at all, on reflection he was exactly what we needed at the time, still believe he should have left a little sooner though.

McClaren 1, feared the worst, saw the best. I was sold after 45 minutes and one team talk.

Thought Will Hughes would do better in the Premier League than Jeff Hendrick. Wrong.

Doubt many will join me on this one, but I was pretty happy with the Ikechi Anya signing.

10 minutes ago, Rev said:

I think possibly you're over tired.

I read that post as an opinion they held which has since been proved wrong.

Ah, just seen this. Yeah, I did wonder and have already posted again just in case. In actual fact, I think I'm mistaken on two counts as not only may I have not grasped the sense of his post, but I'm pretty sure I've also mistaken him for an entirely different poster with a very similar moniker. 

As for the 'I think possibly you're over tired' comment', I'm touched by your concern for my wellbeing, likewise your assumption that there must be mitigating circumstances other than those already mentioned. 

Archived