New Manager

dantheram

5 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Anyone playing or managing in this division is currently better off:-

Martin, Bennett, Johnson, Paterson, Rowett, Malone, Nugent, Dowell, Hamer etc.......

While your point stands; Nugent has been told to stay at home ? 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Perhaps. Although if we get next to nothing from the October games then Halloween might be a fright night?! ?

Fixtures Released

Old Spalding Ram replied to DarkFruitsRam7's topic in Derby County Forum 

August 21

October looks a bit tasty! Norwich, Forest and Bournemouth away, Watford and Cardiff at home. I’m predicting the first Cocu out thread around Halloween!

Great minds and all that!

11 hours ago, Rample said:

Cocu's going nowhere, in no small part due to having 3 years left on his contract, but also because at present he is still at present being allowed a lot of freedom to build a team, and I'd expect 2 more signings by mid October and a 3 months before that is judged by the board.

If of course we have a run of 6-0 defeats over the next month or we are fighting relegation come January and Mel's hand is forced then Rooney is nailed on. After paying around £4m (educated guess) to get rid of Cocu and his team, I can't see us paying another £2.5m to shift Rooney aswell.

Managers such as Howe, Hughton or whoever may be able to do better with this squad but we have already made our bed...

I can't see a budget left back and striker plus a couple of players returning to fitness improving us vastly, but that's the hope we're left with. We all seem to be proclaiming Bielik to be some magical talisman but I don't remember him being a £10m class world-beater even pre-injury.

I think what has riled me today is Cocu's nonsense about Clarke needing to adapt to his style. For one this player played 40 odd games under him last season and was arguably our best player, and two. maybe its indicative of the problem, if people can't grasp your style 12 months on maybe its time to change philosophy, I can just see us losing the opening matches of next season and him complaining all this summers signings still aren't fluent with his style of football.

Humph!

The thing with Clarke, is at Portsmouth he could ping the ball long to feet and was very good at it.  If he attempts to pass the ball more than 5 yards here at a speed of more than 3 mph  it's an hours self flagellation as punishment. 

Said the same about Bielik.  In fact we dropped him back to centre half for a number of games.  I hope he does turn out to be a 10 mill player, we could do with it.  Not convinced on what I saw last time round.

21 minutes ago, RamNut said:

For the first goal, Bird makes up a lot of ground. But it’s hard to run faster than the ball.

I just rewatched it - The guy who intercepted the ball was right next to Bird when he did so - Exactly in line - The guy gets around a 5m head start as Bird is turning and then runs the ball all the way to the edge of the area - He doesn't pass it, he runs with the ball the whole way

Rewatch it and tell me you genuinely think that was Bird at a full-on sprint to get back - Generally speaking running with a ball is slower than running without one - And I think the guy arrives at the box more than 5m ahead of Bird - I don't think Bird is super quick but he isn't that slow and I don't think that was a sprint to get back

I really like Bird (and Rooney) and I hate criticising a 19 year old - But the very minimum you need in that position is the desire to sprint as hard as you possibly can when chasing back

11 hours ago, Coconut said:

Started pretty well when he had more of a team around him, but once the Joinersgate stuff happened and his teammates started dropping like flies he was basically tasked with holding the entire midfield together, while making a step up a league, and carrying the weight on the transfer fee on his shoulders.

I don't think anyone is expecting him to do it all on his own coming back from an ACL injury, but he's a big miss and the simple fact though is that he offered something nobody else in the squad was, or is capable of.

Watch that. He's a good link between defence and attack who makes the transition from defending to playing positive forward balls before the opposition have regrouped and marked our frwards.

Thanks for reminding me of what this lad can do. We have some some potentially serious talent out at the moment (Bielik, Ibe, Lawrence, Waghorn) Hopefully we can get them back before we are cut adrift at the bottom. The young lads currently look like that ....Young lads!

19 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

But I think we need to give him till ? to see if he can turn it around ?

I do want to give it more time but honestly if we lose the next 3 I'd get rid. After 10 games or so you start to see what's happening. If we're not playing well and not getting results he has to go. You can't leave it until we are genuinely fighting for our lives trying to stay in the championship. 

16 hours ago, Rosythram said:

Its about time as Derby County supporters we grew some balls and stuck with the cards we’ve got and hang on in there, it might come good and it may not either way Derby County FC will still be in existence

No.

I'm all for the long term plan, building a team and giving a manager time. Believe me I am. But if we're not seeing any signs of hope or improvement, he can go.

What we're watching is beyond embarrassing and simply unacceptable. If this carries on for much longer, his position will be untenable.

Like you say if it doesn't come good, Derby county will still be in existence. And you're right, but in League one. 

I really don't want Cocu to be sacked. I can't stress that enough and I'm fairly sure that I will never request for him to be sacked on this forum. I may come to defend him that little bit less with time, but I can guarantee that I will never ask for him to be sacked. 

My logic is that Cocu was handed what looked to be a fairly comfortable start, with a serious strenuous October to follow. We're on Sky Sports in the next two games, first to Norwich and then to Watford. We were always going into those games second best regardless of our start to the season. I would be surprised if we get anything from either games as we still continue to nurse through injuries and getting players up to speed. It would almost certainly mean that the 'Cocu Out' crowd will be good voice by then, most likely in the bottom 3 with a bit of a cushion above us with 0 points in 5 games. 

We then face Huddersfield and Forest. The problem being that the pressure is already piled on at this point. IF we are without a win in our first 7 league games, having not beat Forest then I just don't see how Cocu will still be in a job unfortunately. Cardiff and Bournemouth to finish the month is also tough. We could be without a win in our first 9 matches, perhaps even without a point! 

Personally can't see us getting a point until November by which point we will be cut adrift massively at the bottom and Cocu will be shown the door. Loose the next two and Mel could sack him and rightly so. Only manager who could survive 0 points from 5 to start the season in this league is Ainsworth as they have zero expectations. With how poo we were in pre season its no surprise how we have started, we have been shafted by the EFL and have had injuries but we should still be doing better. 

8 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Personally can't see us getting a point until November by which point we will be cut adrift massively at the bottom and Cocu will be shown the door. Loose the next two and Mel could sack him and rightly so. Only manager who could survive 0 points from 5 to start the season in this league is Ainsworth as they have zero expectations. 

It's going to be a massive struggle mate,we have difficult games ahead which are going to look even more difficult after this start for sure.....we could have taken losses to Norwich and Watford at the start of the season perhaps but not so much now.

Final thing and only because it's become prevalent everywhere,not just you,my wife does it too but it is lose not loose?

9 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

It's going to be a massive struggle mate,we have difficult games ahead which are going to look even more difficult after this start for sure.....we could have taken losses to Norwich and Watford at the start of the season perhaps but not so much now.

Final thing and only because it's become prevalent everywhere,not just you,my wife does it too but it is lose not loose?

Yep, loose is a description of our defence ?

11 minutes ago, MikeS said:

Not advisable, according to City fans I know.

City fans hated him, said he was clueless, the names being put around, are all rusks, and Mel has no money to go and get a quality manager, Leory and Rooney would get the job, at the club already, both wanting to  devolopment into management, think this would be the way Mel would go if Cocu is sacked. 

19 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

City fans hated him, said he was clueless, the names being put around, are all rusks, and Mel has no money to go and get a quality manager, Leory and Rooney would get the job, at the club already, both wanting to  devolopment into management, think this would be the way Mel would go if Cocu is sacked. 

Style of play should be obvious regardless of who is playing because U23s etc should be playing the same style and fitting in like for like. Style is not obvious in opposition half, only in our half.

Archived