New Manager

dantheram

1 hour ago, Taribo said:

David Wagner is free and would galvanise us into a tight knit squad.... 

I seem to remember that his Huddersfield side were very low scoring.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Who cares? What I really want to know is who we're getting after we sack Cocu's successor. Hell, why even stop there! Let's get the next half dozen lined up.

For those of us in our dotage the next one is quite important. It will determine our chances of seeing us back in the Premier League, improving on out last season there.

29 minutes ago, sunnyhill60 said:

I give you 10/10 for optimism but as a hardened gambler I see Cocu as Foinaven not Red Rum

Interesting analogy right there. Foinaven's owners dared to dream and look what happened. On the book he should never have even lined up, should he?

I remain staunchly behind Cocu but obviously I can't say for sure what will happen any more than the next guy. What I do know, however, is that chucking it in every time we hit a flat spot has brought us nothing but failure and disappointment. By my reckoning it's well overdue that we tried something different. Seems I'm in the minority though, yet again, but I can live with that. There are tougher challenges in life than watching your team lose a handful of games and standing firm, though based some of the hysterical garbage I've read in recent days, there are some on here who clearly think otherwise. I've always said I'd give Cocu two seasons as a minimum and I stand by that. I'll leave the U-turns to fans more fickle than I.

30 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Interesting analogy right there. Foinaven's owners dared to dream and look what happened. On the book he should never have even lined up, should he?

I remain staunchly behind Cocu but obviously I can't say for sure what will happen any more than the next guy. What I do know, however, is that chucking it in every time we hit a flat spot has brought us nothing but failure and disappointment. By my reckoning it's well overdue that we tried something different. Seems I'm in the minority though, yet again, but I can live with that. There are tougher challenges in life than watching your team lose a handful of games and standing firm, though based some of the hysterical garbage I've read in recent days, there are some on here who clearly think otherwise. I've always said I'd give Cocu two seasons as a minimum and I stand by that. I'll leave the U-turns to fans more fickle than I.

Your position has my full respect.

My worry is that, as others have said, getting out of a losing run/bottom 3  is easier said than done. Getting in a number 9 will be vital, The longer it takes to get our first win the more difficult it will be to recover. It may not be down to Cocu but the loss of Martin seems a sad own goal.

16 minutes ago, sunnyhill60 said:

Your position has my full respect.

My worry is that, as others have said, getting out of a losing run/bottom 3  is easier said than done. Getting in a number 9 will be vital, The longer it takes to get our first win the more difficult it will be to recover. It may not be down to Cocu but the loss of Martin seems a sad own goal.

Likewise kind sir, but I'm pretty sure we'll be OK. I'd also wager that a few teams will be running on empty in the final quarter so perhaps the fact that we are somewhat 'under-baked' may be a positive in the long run. If we're still stuttering come Christmas, then perhaps my nerve will waver, but 3 games in is too early for a fire-sale, to my mind at least.

COYR

“We played the entire game in front of Blackburn” well no before they scored 3 in 5 minutes including 1 belter and 1 deflected shot we were controlling and creating. Hard to break down a team with a 3 goal head start though. And the reason we went 1-0 down which began our collapse was due to the most experienced (and naturally gifted) player on the pitch misplacing a pass in an area we couldn’t afford to misplace that pass. 

I’m not defending the performance but Cocu spent probably his entire budget last season on getting the correct DM in and he ended up out for a year injured after a couple of games. 

he gave our attacking options a chance last season to showcase what they can do and they all (except Martin who we clearly couldn’t afford to keep) failed to do what’s necessary so this year he has worked on improving our attacking options. 

He has made mistakes but it’s clear that he recognises what needs changing and what is important for his system. 

the margins are tight. If Bird buries that early chance or if Rooney just pings the ball into a channel for the wiseman to chase instead of the little pass to Marriott then I’d argue we probably go on to win that match yesterday. Instead we miss the chance, Rooney loses the ball and we’re one nil down. Then before we regroup Johnson hits a 25 yarder leaving the keeper no chance and then whilst the players are shell shocked from the quick 2 goals conceded they go and fluke a 3rd. 

obviously after the third goes in the momentum is entirely with them and they’re full of confidence and they look good. 

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

People making threads about replacing him when there's no indication that he's going. People saying he's clueless. People calling him 'C o c o the Clown'. 

All incredibly disrespectful towards a man who won three Dutch titles while you were probably sat on your arse in an office. Pipe down.

A man who captained his country and Barcelona.

I find the lack of respect appalling and quite honestly I genuinely think a lot of it comes from him being dutch. Derby don't do foreign managers...think you can see why.

3 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

A man who captained his country and Barcelona.

I find the lack of respect appalling and quite honestly I genuinely think a lot of it comes from him being dutch. Derby don't do foreign managers...think you can see why.

This post is bordering on xenophobic when you dissect it's import - the underlying allegation is that the fans of Derby don't take to foreigners. 

And the part about respect is absolute tosh too, respect needs to be earned, previous achievements should be recognized but not dined out on continuously. I have respect for what Cocu has achieved as a player but if that doesn't translate into his performances as a manager at the club then it counts for nowt. 

8 hours ago, RamNut said:

I seem to remember that his Huddersfield side were very low scoring.

I think he's the first and possibly only ever manager to win promotion to the Premier League with a negative goal difference. They didn't even score a goal in the play-offs and won the bleeding thing!! 

I do like Wagner though, after all he managed to keep Huddersfield in the Premier League against all odds. He had a pretty poor record at Schalke though - and no surprise to see him sacked. 

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

I think he's the first and possibly only ever manager to win promotion to the Premier League with a negative goal difference. They didn't even score a goal in the play-offs and won the bleeding thing!! 

Sounds perfect. What's our GD atm? ?

45 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

This post is bordering on xenophobic when you dissect it's import - the underlying allegation is that the fans of Derby don't take to foreigners. 

And the part about respect is absolute tosh too, respect needs to be earned, previous achievements should be recognized but not dined out on continuously. I have respect for what Cocu has achieved as a player but if that doesn't translate into his performances as a manager at the club then it counts for nowt. 

That was not my intention. My comment would certainly be aimed at the minority, but I go on what I have seen written. It didn't take more than a few games last season for him to be insulted in ways I thought we were better than. Infact some were made before he had even arrived in Derby!

You see it further written that Dutch managers never do well in this country, even more so Dutch players never do well! 

I respect the fact he has handled all the garbage thrown at him with class and dignity. That is how I want our manager to be. I have my concerns he won't be a success here but I would never suggest he is clueless or a clown.

Archived