Is Rooney The man To Take Us Forward?

Comrade 86

Is Rooney the right man for the manager's position?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted no but happy to have my mind changed !

Wayne hasn't said anything wrong yet since he has been 'Sole' manager - the comment about 'guaranteeing' we will go up the table was said before so I will let him off with that.

In fact I've actually liked what he's said and like the way he conducts himself during the game. What does he have to do to convince me he could make a manager ?

Carry on doing what he's doing I suppose - if he gets us mid table how can you argue against him ?

I having written off the idea of Rooney gatti g the job - so far j think hes doing a decent job of it in sole command.  In not overly concerned re Wycome and Coventry results, as the players made the same mistakes as heg gave been doing gir every manager I  the lad 5 years. I. Sure Roo ey knows exactly what required and who he wants and thinks he can get in the Jan Tansfer Window - so does McClaren 

I think Rooney's definitely benefitting from having a genuinely fit Bielik, being able to play a target man and, ironically, not having to shoehorn himself into the side (for the record, I still think he's a good player at this level). That and potentially being able to select Ibe are luxuries Cocu didn't really have, if we can assume CKR wasn't fit enough to start during his time.

Having said that, we're clearly playing more directly, with more freedom and getting players in the box. But, most importantly, and having being critical of Cocu's constant chopping-and-changing, Rooney's rotating of the line-up has actually made sense when you look at the opposition. I loved that Cocu trusted our youngsters as much as he did, but sometimes you have to take them out of the firing line when they're just going to be bullied by bigger, more physical sides. 

I think we're still suffering from poor fitness, along with having the jitters when we're a goal up. But neither are Rooney's fault and the latter will hopefully improve as results get better.

I wouldn't give him the job straight away, but I'm more than happy to give him a few more games and see how results go. He's doing okay for the time being so no need to rush into an appointment, but it's equally important we have someone permanent (at least until the end of season) announced before the transfer window.

In conclusion: I'm firmly perched on the fence.

5 minutes ago, JohnHarkes said:

I think Rooney's definitely benefitting from having a genuinely fit Bielik, being able to play a target man and, ironically, not having to shoehorn himself into the side (for the record, I still think he's a good player at this level). That and potentially being able to select Ibe are luxuries Cocu didn't really have, if we can assume CKR wasn't fit enough to start during his time.

Having said that, we're clearly playing more directly, with more freedom and getting players in the box. But, most importantly, and having being critical of Cocu's constant chopping-and-changing, Rooney's rotating of the line-up has actually made sense when you look at the opposition. I loved that Cocu trusted our youngsters as much as he did, but sometimes you have to take them out of the firing line when they're just going to be bullied by bigger, more physical sides. 

I think we're still suffering from poor fitness, along with having the jitters when we're a goal up. But neither are Rooney's fault and the latter will hopefully improve as results get better.

I wouldn't give him the job straight away, but I'm more than happy to give him a few more games and see how results go. He's doing okay for the time being so no need to rush into an appointment, but it's equally important we have someone permanent (at least until the end of season) announced before the transfer window.

In conclusion: I'm firmly perched on the fence.

Good post. I know what you mean by playing more directly but at the same time this doesn’t seem to be producing more chances. We get the ball to the edge of the box then it’s assus collapsus.

I’m hoping a win will improve confidence in this respect and that we’re soon banging them in from all angles but looking at current personnel it’s hard to see where goals are coming from.

36 minutes ago, Keepyuppy said:

I having written off the idea of Rooney gatti g the job - so far j think hes doing a decent job of it in sole command.  In not overly concerned re Wycome and Coventry results, as the players made the same mistakes as heg gave been doing gir every manager I  the lad 5 years. I. Sure Roo ey knows exactly what required and who he wants and thinks he can get in the Jan Tansfer Window - so does McClaren 

^^^Thase^^^

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

Good post. I know what you mean by playing more directly but at the same time this doesn’t seem to be producing more chances. We get the ball to the edge of the box then it’s assus collapsus.

I’m hoping a win will improve confidence in this respect and that we’re soon banging them in from all angles but looking at current personnel it’s hard to see where goals are coming from.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Unfortunately I think that's down to a combination of a lack of composure, brought on partly by the pressure of the situation we find ourselves in, and poor decision making. There's so many players in the Championship who maybe have the technical ability to play at a higher level, but their decision making is severely lacking - Holmes and Lawrence being prime examples.

When two of your main creative outlets seem hell bent on choosing literally any other option besides even the most obvious of passes/shots then you're always going to be in trouble. Which is why the thought of having Jozwiak and Ibe in the same starting eleven has me frothing at the G.

2 minutes ago, JohnHarkes said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. Unfortunately I think that's down to a combination of a lack of composure, brought on partly by the pressure of the situation we find ourselves in, and poor decision making. There's so many players in the Championship who maybe have the technical ability to play at a higher level, but their decision making is severely lacking - Holmes and Lawrence being prime examples.

When two of your main creative outlets seem hell bent on choosing literally any other option besides even the most obvious of passes/shots then you're always going to be in trouble. Which is why the thought of having Jozwiak and Ibe in the same starting eleven has me frothing at the G.

You would think that if you showed the video of the wrong decision ten times in front of everyone then you would soon know what not to do. But hey, ho.

Just now, Rampage said:

You would think that if you showed the video of the wrong decision ten times in front of everyone then you would soon know what not to do. But hey, ho.

Realistically we are not going to beat Brentford. If we get at least a draw then you would have to say it is something of a turnaround.

I've seen enough at the moment to think why not,  give him a shot for now not least; he provides at least some continuity for the team and I think they respect what he's trying, more than they did PC.  There has been a vast improvement in attitude since he took over.   We're much more attacking.  We're getting players forward and, nose bleed time, in the box.  CKR has been brilliant for us IMO but in Jan we need a proper goal scorer who can work off him.  I can't wait to see if Ibe delivers.  Decision making and, in particular our final ball has been poor.  It's getting better, under Rooney, and will improve as confidence improves.  We have some cracking players - it just needs to click.  I think Rooney sees that.  Is he right for us longer term - the jury is out.  His lack of experience, especially if we revert to type as under Cocu would concern me.  This, and the take over is causing me all sorts of stress.   

My doctor has just diagnosed me with News Now Finger.  I keep refreshing my screen, even as it's still refreshing in the vain hope something pops up.  

10 hours ago, TimRam said:

Man U will if he has one decent season.

No chance. 

Teams always go for the opposite of the last appointment.

Ole was an untested rookie, no way would they follow him up with another.

As I stated weeks ago with the takeover by a middle eastern hedge fund looking flakier by the day, and Mel running the club on a shoestring, there is no money for another manager, I assume as Mclaren has not worked for a long time he is cheap and there is no cash for a new manager I believe on a pure fiscal basis the job is Rooney’s. 

51 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

As I stated weeks ago with the takeover by a middle eastern hedge fund looking flakier by the day, and Mel running the club on a shoestring, there is no money for another manager, I assume as Mclaren has not worked for a long time he is cheap and there is no cash for a new manager I believe on a pure fiscal basis the job is Rooney’s. 

That's an interesting theory. I would say 'we will soon find out'  but  'at some point in the distant future...' is more appropriate. 

2 hours ago, Asheville Ram said:

we'd have a better idea if we knew what the 32red contracts say. I suspect both MM and the new owners would say: promotion not an option this year, so if WR takes us up the table, may as well keep him as caretaker and we'll decide on a permanent in the summer. Any other option probably increases FFP pressure  

12 hours ago, Rev said:

No chance. 

Teams always go for the opposite of the last appointment.

Ole was an untested rookie, no way would they follow him up with another.

lol sorry mate was being 'sarcy'. Mac left us during Jimmy Smiths reign and I still get annoyed thinking about it!

I have to say he’s winning me over.  I’d said previously that I thought he was lacking leadership on the pitch but on the touch line it seems to be working. Four games unbeaten and very organised performance tonight.  He seemed to be doing the basics well in terms of selection - squares pegs and all that.  I was thinking during the game today if his experience of playing with these players is influencing his selections, which may explain Lawrence on the bench as I can imagine he’s quite frustrating to play alongside.

Archived