Is Rooney The man To Take Us Forward?

Comrade 86

Is Rooney the right man for the manager's position?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted no, but I am starting to warm to the idea, the players seem to be responding well to him, a few have referenced more intensity in training.R

Rooney doesn't have the backroom team that he would want. If he gets the job permanently, hopefully he will be given the freedom to choose his own people and then we can really start to see what he's all about. I'm sure he will bring in an experienced assistant.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, r_wilcockson said:

3 games unbeaten, and arguably should have won all 3. More importantly the levels of performance has massively improved over the course of those 3 games. Whether it's Rooney or Mcclaren, it's working. Let's stick with it now it's bearing fruit. And yes, I was one of the original Yes voters... 

3 games unbeaten we played 2 league 1 times and got 2 draws and a good whin to be fair to him away at millwall! It's improving but he cost us the game against Wycombe by negative subs and he went way too defensive yesterday as well just encouraged them to come at us! I'm growing on Rooney but think there's still alot of room for improvement,! Think we should wait a 2 or 3 more games before appointing him as manager as like I just said we played 2 league 1 sides, games we should be winning / need to be winning 

I was warming to the idea of Rooney becoming the manager even before the match against Millwall as the first of my posts yesterday will show (page 3 for anyone who follows me religiously ? ).

But the more I think about it, the more he's becoming my first choice.

I think we'll easily pull away from the relegation zone without the need to play hoof ball or fall back to a team of "journeymen pros".

We don't want - short term or long term - a defensive manager like Benitez, Allardyce, Hughton etc.

Rooney wants us to play attacking football. Some will say that's McClaren's influence. Maybe but I believe it's Rooney's natural inclination anyway.

I also think he's been impressed with the kids - he's always been full of praise for Knight and Bird but talks positively about the others too.

Rooney in, I say. Get it done and let's now focus on the football.

Wayne will have to be Assistant Manager at least till the end of the season if he does not get the Manager's job. From the prospective owners' point of view, Wayne is the perfect figure head but he also needs to be successful which will take time to prove by results of games. I want him to succeed. In short, Wayne Rooney hung up his boots in order to try to be Derby County Manager. Amazing thought at any level. Also presumably his wages sponsor would want to be part of a successful future if they can. Maximum exposure for Derby County that could draw unimagined sponsorship deals in future.

We had the Clement project, the Lampard project, and more recently the Cocu project. Nothing against WR, but I think even he is misreading the situation at Derby. The mess we are in, we really do need a seasoned championship manager for a couple of seasons, to get us back to being a decent top half of the table team. Can't really be looking any further ahead than that in my opinion. 

I was telling my mates before the Millwall game that Derby would win games as soon as they dropped Wisdom for not being able to defend a full game. To drop Lawrence for not being a team player, that gives away more than he creates, and Waghorn for not being able to hold the ball up top. And bingo WR delivered.

Loads will argue that Waghorn created the goal, but I believe the Millwall keeper did, as Waghorn didn't find Knight with a headed pass, but found the keeper with a header, whereas Knight was clever enough to anticipate the mistake and capitalise for the team.

I know it's only one win, but when Wayne arrived as a player he lifted the team and we climbed the table, he's now the man to take us forward and to climb that table once again.

D.C.F.C. Love, Life & Unity.

4 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

What are you expecting to see?

That we start pinging it about like Barcelona at their peak? Brazil in 1970? Manchester City/Liverpool from the last couple of years?

It's more that I haven't really seen something to convince me that it's a good direction to go in and that we aren't playing with fire right now by not being more decisive. If we exclude the 2 games that he wasn't formally in charge (and it's debatable whether that's fair to do that) we've arguably had our three easiest games of the season in a row. Millwall are no slouches of course but they are in a terrible vein of form and both Coventry and Wycombe are likely to be hovering around the drop all season. I think we needed to get more out of this run of fixtures than we did and I worry the two draws are going to haunt us. With that to one side some of the team selections I think have been questionable and the substitution decisions have left something to be desired at times.

With that said if we go forward and build on this, getting similar points from the next 3 then of course I'll warm to the idea despite having doubts.

14 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

It's more that I haven't really seen something to convince me that it's a good direction to go in and that we aren't playing with fire right now by not being more decisive. If we exclude the 2 games that he wasn't formally in charge (and it's debatable whether that's fair to do that) we've arguably had our three easiest games of the season in a row. Millwall are no slouches of course but they are in a terrible vein of form and both Coventry and Wycombe are likely to be hovering around the drop all season. I think we needed to get more out of this run of fixtures than we did and I worry the two draws are going to haunt us. With that to one side some of the team selections I think have been questionable and the substitution decisions have left something to be desired at times.

With that said if we go forward and build on this, getting similar points from the next 3 then of course I'll warm to the idea despite having doubts.

Fair enough.

It's partly by default that I have swung around to the idea of Rooney. The other - much spoken - candidates, Allardyce, Dyche, Terry etc - do not excite me at all. I fear the academy will be lost under Allardyce. Attacking football may be sacrificed. We will not get relegated, so I do not know why there is so much panic. It's not a case of "not too good to go down". There are 30 odd games left and those above us are only a handful of points in front. We do not need to go "pragmatic" as I think you called it on another thread.

2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

What are you expecting to see?

That we start pinging it about like Barcelona at their peak? Brazil in 1970? Manchester City/Liverpool from the last couple of years?

We look like a team that is seeking to address the issues. That is more men at back when needed. Same for more men forward. Defend as a team, attack as a team. I believe that the target will be high pressing and with I've on firm we could do it but only after plugging the holes in the defence first. More training, more intensity, more effort required.

7 hours ago, IslandExile said:

It's partly by default that I have swung around to the idea of Rooney. The other - much spoken - candidates, Allardyce, Dyche, Terry etc - do not excite me at all.

Things is not Rooney or one of those. There are better candidates out there who I think we could sway, to be honest I think we already have two better candidates on the payroll.

I fear the academy will be lost under Allardyce. Attacking football may be sacrificed.

To be honest that's something I'd be concerned about as well especially the academy. Although the counterargument is that if we go down the academy likely goes down and Allardyce is as sure a bet you can have in terms of getting results.

We will not get relegated, so I do not know why there is so much panic. It's not a case of "not too good to go down". There are 30 odd games left and those above us are only a handful of points in front.

See if you'd have asked after Barnsley then I'd have agreed with you on that front but we've been so wishy washy and indecisive since then, all the while games tick by and it feels like we are sleepwalking into a disaster. It's recoverable but it needs clear direction and that's what seems to be lacking right now.

8 hours ago, IslandExile said:

We do not need to go "pragmatic" as I think you called it on another thread.

That I'd agree with and if it was down to me I'd go with manager who had a reputation of getting an uplift in performances along with a decent style of play but I can understand why people want Allardyce right now.

I said yes, not because he’s a genius but because he knows the players, has a certain level of respect and for the time being I’d rather have Wayne than yet another rushed import wanting to rip everything up and start again. ... No matter what it’s a short term thing anyway. Either it will work and he’ll be off or it won’t and his contract will run down, so with 5 from 9 so far it food on the table and I’m hungry. 

Archived