Is Rooney The man To Take Us Forward?

Comrade 86

Is Rooney the right man for the manager's position?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

So if the performance change isn't because of a new manager what is it then?

Bielik returning to fitness, CKR being match fit, not playing Rooney as a DM. And are we really playing that much different? 

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, rynny said:

Bielik returning to fitness, CKR being match fit, not playing Rooney as a DM. And are we really playing that much different? 

I would be interested to know what our pass completion was with Rooney and without. 

The passing in the past two games has been atrocious. 

Rooney at least made himself available for a pass. The problem for him was that he was unable to do anything to rectify any bad passes he made. 

Much of our work now entails chasing back when we lose possession. 

7 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I would be interested to know what our pass completion was with Rooney and without. 

The passing in the past two games has been atrocious. 

Rooney at least made himself available for a pass. The problem for him was that he was unable to do anything to rectify any bad passes he made. 

Much of our work now entails chasing back when we lose possession. 

VS Brentford 72% (Brentford had 81%)

Vs Millwall 75% (Millwall 73%)

Vs Coventry 79% (Cov 74%)

Vs Wycombe 72% (Wycombe 66%)

Vs Boro 78% (Boro 63%)

Vs Bristol 86% (Bristol 75%)

Vs Barnsley 83% (Barnsley 63%)

Vs QPR 80%(QPR 82%)

Vs Bournemouth 58% (Bournemouth 83%)

Vs Cardiff 74% (Cardiff 79%)

Vs Forest 74% (forest 81%)

Vs Huddersfield 75% (Huddersfield 79%)

Vs Watford 81% (Watford 77%)

Slightly better overall I would say with Rooney in the team than when he isn't. 

24 minutes ago, rynny said:

VS Brentford 72% (Brentford had 81%)

Vs Millwall 75% (Millwall 73%)

Vs Coventry 79% (Cov 74%)

Vs Wycombe 72% (Wycombe 66%)

Vs Boro 78% (Boro 63%)

Vs Bristol 86% (Bristol 75%)

Vs Barnsley 83% (Barnsley 63%)

Vs QPR 80%(QPR 82%)

Vs Bournemouth 58% (Bournemouth 83%)

Vs Cardiff 74% (Cardiff 79%)

Vs Forest 74% (forest 81%)

Vs Huddersfield 75% (Huddersfield 79%)

Vs Watford 81% (Watford 77%)

Slightly better overall I would say with Rooney in the team than when he isn't. 

The relatively high overall percentage will be buoyed by the pointless passes across the back four and to the keeper. 

23 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Regardless of where you stand on Rooney and the Daily Mail. If this is true..

8AEAFE4C-CC6D-4546-9AA7-FBCF047F4588.jpeg

This is the biggest checkbox ticked when appointing a manager, the players are on board. 

I’ve banged my Rooney drum enough so will keep this post short and sweet.

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

The relatively high overall percentage will be buoyed by the pointless passes across the back four and to the keeper. 

That's what I thought tbh. I'll have a look at that later, if I remember and can be bothered ?

I am happy with what i have seen from rooney but it still doesn't change my mind about not wanting him in charge and having a need for a proven manager and proven players.

but to be bluntly honest, our lack of losing games could have as much rooney not being in the side than him actually managing it.

He has still not looked close to even addressing our lack of goals in this team, and we will not stay in the league if we cannot score goals however good our defence is (or isnt).

28 minutes ago, David said:

This is the biggest checkbox ticked when appointing a manager, the players are on board. 

actually the players opinion is almost irrelevant.

They will be the same ones that get him sacked.

make the logical decision not the popular one

5 minutes ago, wollatonram said:

actually the players opinion is almost irrelevant.

They will be the same ones that get him sacked.

make the logical decision not the popular one

Not irrelevant at all.

Put a manager in there that the players take one look at and think what’s this guy on like Nigel Pearson, and we’re in deeper trouble.

Logical doesn’t always pay off. A manager that the players will want to play for is first on the priority list.

More expensive to replace a team than it is a manager.

11 minutes ago, wollatonram said:

I am happy with what i have seen from rooney but it still doesn't change my mind about not wanting him in charge and having a need for a proven manager and proven players.

but to be bluntly honest, our lack of losing games could have as much rooney not being in the side than him actually managing it.

He has still not looked close to even addressing our lack of goals in this team, and we will not stay in the league if we cannot score goals however good our defence is (or isnt).

He has said in his interviews that firstly he needed the team to tighten up at the back. After 4 games it appears he is achieving that. I think he more than most might know something about goal scoring so I'm happy to give him time to get the team confident enough to fire from the hip a bit more. Currently they seem either scared to shoot or perhaps more likely scared to miss. 

14 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

If we had a goal scorer we would be winning matches and a lot more points - a lot of everything is resolved if we had that one player but we don’t - currently 

But a goal scorer needs to have chances created for him, we aren’t creating any...

58 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

He has said in his interviews that firstly he needed the team to tighten up at the back. After 4 games it appears he is achieving that. I think he more than most might know something about goal scoring so I'm happy to give him time to get the team confident enough to fire from the hip a bit more. Currently they seem either scared to shoot or perhaps more likely scared to miss. 

We did need to tighten up at the back but that's because we were bottom. Now he has to find a way to get us to score goals because if he doesn't we are toast even if we don't concede a goal for the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, David said:

Not irrelevant at all.

Put a manager in there that the players take one look at and think what’s this guy on like Nigel Pearson, and we’re in deeper trouble.

Logical doesn’t always pay off. A manager that the players will want to play for is first on the priority list.

More expensive to replace a team than it is a manager.

The club needs a manager that the club needs not a manager the players needs, they are professionals, not working at an old boys club.

A lot is made of the fact Rooney has played under some great managers but would you want Paul Gascogne as manager? Gary Lineker?

I’m sure he wants to be a manager but his choices after playing are pretty limited I would say.

Certainly no TV pundit and pubs are struggling.

9 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

The old manager picked him and dictated the style of play! Which Rooney says (and the players seem to agree) was too 'complicated'. That isn't Rooney's fault.

His level of fitness and effort were simply unacceptably low since since the Covid break last season. A fact compounded by the fact he seemed to be play 90 minutes in every game (which wasn't his fault). Under a new manager he probably could still play a part on the pitch, particularly as second half substitute. But at the moment Rooney not playing at all seems to be helping our overall team performances.

4 hours ago, David said:

Regardless of where you stand on Rooney and the Daily Mail. If this is true..

8AEAFE4C-CC6D-4546-9AA7-FBCF047F4588.jpeg

How do people ascertain whether Rooney really has the support of the players or not? If you ask a player whether he supports the manager or whether they are happy in training what choice do they have but to say yes?

Archived