Is Rooney The man To Take Us Forward?

Comrade 86

Is Rooney the right man for the manager's position?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

What makes you think that Steve? 

Both were brilliant at their main career but Mickey never made the transition into management/ directorship.

A great actor does not necessarily make a good producer/ director.

A great footballer (Bobby Charlton, David Beckham etc) does not automatically transmogrify into a great manager/coach.

Wayne is inexperienced and needs to learn jis new trade in easier circumstances.

It is going to take a strong, no nonsense type of character á la Brian Clough/Bill Shankley mode to get the Rams playing with wholehearted commitment to Derby County first last and always. How many proven motivators are prepared to risk ignominious failure over 31 games?

They are not lacking much but need to maintain 100% effort for the WHOLE match if they are ever going to stop turning three points into one or none in matches which should be there for the taking.

Who knows? It can be said that it’s a gamble when all we have is a chip and a chair. But any manager will be a gamble, no dead certs, given we are many games into the season.  Posters are narrowing down the possibilities of management without any of the names actually looking like they might want the job and then can magically turn it round almost immediately. WR would not have been my choice, but he knows the team and a fresh appointment at this point could be fatal.  
Posters can easily find posts from me being critical of Wayne, but the longer it goes on, the likelihood  of a new face wil have enough time to turn it a round becomes less likely 

28 minutes ago, Ruud Aralliss said:

Possibly, It's a gamble the club shouldn't be taking in the current situation. I've actually been mildly impressed by the 2 performances since he's been in charge given the shambles they were in before, although they were against easier opposition. Not many people seem to be mentioning the fact that he's not been able to bring in any of his own staff as well which is massive for a manager.  

i woke up from an afternoon nap just now.  Dreamed i was sitting poolside talking to some fellow and Steve McClaren walks past us holding the hand of what i considered must be his grandchild with a grim look on his face.  Steve's right to be worried, i said to the fellow next to me.  Why, asked the fellow.  Because the club is in real trouble, mate, i replied.  He went hmm, is it?  i think i may have been chatting with Rooney.

17 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Possibly, It's a gamble the club shouldn't be taking in the current situation. I've actually been mildly impressed by the 2 performances since he's been in charge given the shambles they were in before, although they were against easier opposition. Not many people seem to be mentioning the fact that he's not been able to bring in any of his own staff as well which is massive for a manager.  

Exactly this. My worry is how long can we afford to give Wayne to prove he's the man for the job. We need results and we need them now. Also if they decide to go for someone else to keep us up, what manager would agree a 6 month contract?

41 minutes ago, ramit said:

i woke up from an afternoon nap just now.  Dreamed i was sitting poolside talking to some fellow and Steve McClaren walks past us holding the hand of what i considered must be his grandchild with a grim look on his face.  Steve's right to be worried, i said to the fellow next to me.  Why, asked the fellow.  Because the club is in real trouble, mate, i replied.  He went hmm, is it?  i think i may have been chatting with Rooney.

Surreal.

5 hours ago, DCFClks said:

Mildly impressed indeed. Total of 2 points against two of the worst teams in the ch'ship. We needed at least 4 points from those games. 

17 minutes ago, europia said:

Mildly impressed indeed. Total of 2 points against two of the worst teams in the ch'ship. We needed at least 4 points from those games. 

The team is still terrible yes, but in the context I mentioned in my previous reply I don't think Rooney's done that badly individually. The team isn't good by any means. 

Going to find out a lot about Rooney's credentials this afternoon.

It'd be churlish to suggest there haven't been improvements. CKR into the side was an obvious pick (in my opinion), Rooney did that. Getting crosses into the box earlier & mixing up the play was an obvious adjustment, we've started to do that also. Also pleased to see youth coming back against Coventry after that horrible line up v Wycombe.

On the negative side, Rooney's subs v Coventry were very poor indeed & contributed to us missing out on 3 points. The brutal reality also is that Coventry & Wycombe at home are 2 of the easiest fixtures this season and we failed to win either.

Millwall away is a totally different kettle of fish. Rowett's lot won't give us any peace on the ball & will unashamedly lump it up the park to Matt Smith. In our current situation, we need points desperately & Rooney has to deliver them. Does he go more secure at the back or does he take the game to them? I think the latter (with caveats) but the side's mental strength & concentration will be tested today, 2 areas we've been very weak recently. That is all on Rooney to sort & as big underdogs, will give us a much better idea tonight of how quickly he's learning lessons.

On 02/12/2020 at 07:56, Tamworthram said:

I take it your son doesn’t watch Derby very often then ?

Seriously though, I think he’ll get the job and hope he does really well but, whilst he is (was) a highly talented player does he know enough about motivating other players and inspiring confidence? He has never managed a team of players before (that doesn’t mean he can’t do it. Every manager has to start somewhere) and, I suspect, has never been in such a dire situation as we’re in now. 

My best guess is that, whoever is appointed (probably Rooney but he probably needs a couple of wins very very soon), we’ll continue to tread water (or rather continue to sink) until the next transfer window and we somehow manage to pick up a decent striker or two (it’s probably too much to ask/expect of the youngsters). Sadly, he/they probably won’t be quite good enough to make sufficient impact in the number of games left. 

That’s what my head says.

My heart says we’ll win a few games between now and the new year which means we’ll just about stay in touch. We’ll pick up a bargain or two in January (maybe a loan or two) and Ibe will return at his best. We’ll put together a reasonable run and escape by the skin of our teeth. But, I’ve never trusted my heart.

He says, "Thank you very much for replying. That was a nice reply!"

His initial response, when I started reading it - and which he asked me NOT to post - was, "Neither had Frank Lampard."

[.... to the point about not having managed a team before.]

To be honest ... I am about to watch Rooney's pre-match press conference ... and I am embarrassed to admit that I am partly doing it to find out how intelligent he will come across!

Of course, footballing-intelligence is a key measure of intelligence for a football manager - and with our league position, motivation-skills carry a lot of weight in my opinion.

Wow! He said all the right things!

I never say ask the right things about anything - so, I'm impressed!

I think ... when I voted on the thread's question about Rooney being the right man, us "Yes" voters were about 15%. I hope we are right.

My main factor in voting had been consistency, but I'm feeling a little more confident after having heard the press conference.

First up, I have said I wouldn't like Rooney as manager. How it's come about has left a bad taste... But it's time to move on from that.

My other issue has been that he talks more about his own ambitions than about the club. However, to be fair, that may be because of the questions that he's being fed by the journos - after all, they're more interested in him than they are about the Rams.

Also, none of the other viable candidates fill me with excitement.

We've played ok in the last two games. Our squad is not great so it's not going to be radically different for the time being.

So, what I'm - finally - coming around to saying is that we should give him a chance. I don't know why so many who were in favour initially have changed their minds after just two games.

3 hours ago, IslandExile said:

First up, I have said I wouldn't like Rooney as manager. How it's come about has left a bad taste... But it's time to move on from that.

My other issue has been that he talks more about his own ambitions than about the club. However, to be fair, that may be because of the questions that he's being fed by the journos - after all, they're more interested in him than they are about the Rams.

Also, none of the other viable candidates fill me with excitement.

We've played ok in the last two games. Our squad is not great so it's not going to be radically different for the time being.

So, what I'm - finally - coming around to saying is that we should give him a chance. I don't know why so many who were in favour initially have changed their minds after just two games.

Well today... Good lineup. Good tactics. Highly motivated team. Understandable substitutions and a win!!!  What more do you want?

He's winning me over ?

Archived