Is Rooney The man To Take Us Forward?

Comrade 86

Is Rooney the right man for the manager's position?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does this have to be so polarised? 3 games have passed; its insane to say he should get the job and its insane to say he shouldn't. Surely, everyone can agree on that. After 10 games we will have a decent idea. This does imply of course, he should be given a chance. Thats completely fair.

I’d still have a solid experienced manager in tomorrow and can’t stand the celebrity circus.

However he’s done himself no harm today and credit where it’s due his team got us a desperately needed 3 points.

Personally I think the job is pretty much his unless he flounders anyway as we’d have started the interview process instead of sitting on our hands for several weeks.

6 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

I’d still have a solid experienced manager in tomorrow and can’t stand the celebrity circus.

However he’s done himself no harm today and credit where it’s due his team got us a desperately needed 3 points.

Personally I think the job is pretty much his unless he flounders anyway as we’d have started the interview process instead of sitting on our hands for several weeks.

We shouldn't stop our search for a manager, I agree on that. Rooney should be a candidate, but one in which we can get a taste of beforehand.

I don't like the celebrity circus either -- people attaching to him rather than the club. However, he can't help this, and I don't think he's exploited it. I don't think its fair to discount anything from him for that.

2 minutes ago, adamscybot said:

Why does this have to be so polarised? 3 games have passed; its insane to say he should get the job and its insane to say he shouldn't. Surely, everyone can agree on that. After 10 games we will have a decent idea.

I agree, it’s why I didn’t vote. Though not convinced he is the man to get us out this mess then later, have us realistically challenging for promotion, I acknowledge we are unbeaten in three and appear to be showing the beginnings of unity and belief which is to his credit. 

Long way to go of course but I wish him well, he says he’s spoken to Sir Alex who’ll give him good advice, that’s not a bad contract to have. 

8 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

Wow! He said all the right things!

I never say ask the right things about anything - so, I'm impressed!

I think ... when I voted on the thread's question about Rooney being the right man, us "Yes" voters were about 15%. I hope we are right.

My main factor in voting had been consistency, but I'm feeling a little more confident after having heard the press conference.

There is a saying in politics.

The beauty of being in a minority is that history usually shows you to have been right!

How true that proves remains to be seen!

52 minutes ago, adamscybot said:

Why does this have to be so polarised? 3 games have passed; its insane to say he should get the job and its insane to say he shouldn't. Surely, everyone can agree on that. After 10 games we will have a decent idea. This does imply of course, he should be given a chance. Thats completely fair.

It wasn't with the intention of being judge, jury and executioner mate! It was intended to get a sense of how folk were viewing things. Cocu left a month back now so I'd have hoped to see some 'green shoots' and thankfully, though I've not seen the game as yet, I think perhaps today we did, or at least those watching the game did.

The other point you post overlooks is that Rooney was given the job as an interim post. If you're suggesting we can wait 10 games to make a choice, I'd politely suggest that won't happen. I think either a new manager will come in next week, or Roone may be given the job to the end of the season but a decision has to be made. There's enough instability at the club as it is, after all!

All in all I was strictly in the Rooney out camp but the win today gives me some pause for thought. I'd say he has another couple of games to cement his position, or not, but waiting 10 games is not an option.

Archived