Is Rooney The man To Take Us Forward?

Comrade 86

Is Rooney the right man for the manager's position?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Well today... Good lineup. Good tactics. Highly motivated team. Understandable substitutions and a win!!!  What more do you want?

He's winning me over ?

Seen enough to say I’d rather they just give it him properly, rather than fanny about for a few more weeks. 

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 games unbeaten, and arguably should have won all 3. More importantly the levels of performance has massively improved over the course of those 3 games. Whether it's Rooney or Mcclaren, it's working. Let's stick with it now it's bearing fruit. And yes, I was one of the original Yes voters... 

Thing is, if someone else was parachuted in, what exactly do we think they would do differently from Rooney?

1) Team selections: Given the players we have, I am pretty happy with the decisions he’s making at present. A new manager would make similar choices.

2) Tactics: We are definitely more determined to get forward and attack than under Cocu. 

3) Attitude: The players certainly seem to be playing for him, so there wouldn’t be at present, that sudden rise in performance you get when a new manager comes in, as we’re probably getting it already.

So, at this moment after a very short period of 3 games as sole manager, the only imponderable that we don’t know about is likely to be training, and differences in transfer choices in January.

I’d stick with him for the moment as I do think he is moving us in the right direction and he has surely got a wealth of knowledge from observing all the managers he has worked for in his career, plus an absolute winning mentality.

I was a no but he's talking more and more like a manager with each passing game. The last 3 games have certainly been an improvement especially in terms of chance creation and (not coincidentally) getting bodies in the box.

I'm now in the "not my first choice but perfectly happy to give him a chance" camp.

Roooooney.

19 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Actions speak louder than words, the win against Millwall doesn't count for that much in my opinion. 

Let's see how he does in the next couple of games.

His tactic 4231 will not work against every team

Why doesn't a win against a difficult side to beat count for much?

I'm beginning to think he could be - I was in the experienced manager camp and with emphasis on avoiding relegation at all costs. The objective being to stop the rot i.e. losing games and begin to turn things around. Rooney in fairness has achieved this with two draws and now a win and has been prepared to change things around - fairly dramatically - and is not frightened of making a decision. These two qualities are vital imo. The outlook is starting to look just a little more positive, I'm not getting carried away yet, still a lot to do but with this squad there is no way we should have been bottom of the league. So well done Wayne COYR

Rooney can say he was proved right in his team selection and substitutions.

However, Waghorn was far more dangerous than Holmes. Also, Millwall had created very little and I am a big advocate of winning games by keeping the ball. We had so many defenders on the pitch at the end, there was no out ball. Better sides than Millwall would have exploited that.

CKR was getting little joy against Millwall’s more robust defenders. It was crying out for pace up front. Sibley, Stretton and Ibe are all capable of pulling defenders out of position to make room for others.

Anyway, we won, I’m relieved and pleased more for the team than anyone else. They’ve taken some carp lately and hopefully will gain confidence.

Things like this could well go a long way towards Rooney getting the job. We won't know whether Rooney has the tactical and man-management skills to be a successful manager unless he gets a decent run, however getting a group of players to buy into how you want to play goes a long way towards being a "good" manager. We need a manager who can get results, improve squad unity and make us a team again. I was, and kind of still am, against the idea of Rooney as a permanent appoint, but IF he can do those things, then why not?

I don't want to go off into a tangent on playing style, but a good manager is one that can successfully get a side to play how they want to play, and get results along the way. That's why Warnock and Allardyce are good managers, because they're capable of doing what they want. I'm not comparing Wayne Rooney to these managers, but if I was seeing tweets like this from the players with Warnock or Allardyce in charge I'd be hugely encouraged, so seeing them with Rooney currently in charge is also encouraging.

Seems to me he’s getting his message across. Fans, on the whole, will accept dropped points if they can see effort has been put in. 

Lack of effort reflects on him as manager so I was both surprised and impressed by the omission of Lawrence from the starting line up today, he’s winning me round, if he gets us grafting consistently we’ll stand a better chance of getting out of this mess we’re in, finesse can come later, it’s all about hard work and belief at this stage.

3 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Things like this could well go a long way towards Rooney getting the job. We won't know whether Rooney has the tactical and man-management skills to be a successful manager unless he gets a decent run, however getting a group of players to buy into how you want to play goes a long way towards being a "good" manager. We need a manager who can get results, improve squad unity and make us a team again. I was, and kind of still am, against the idea of Rooney as a permanent appoint, but IF he can do those things, then why not?

I don't want to go off into a tangent on playing style, but a good manager is one that can successfully get a side to play how they want to play, and get results along the way. That's why Warnock and Allardyce are good managers, because they're capable of doing what they want. I'm not comparing Wayne Rooney to these managers, but if I was seeing tweets like this from the players with Warnock or Allardyce in charge I'd be hugely encouraged, so seeing them with Rooney currently in charge is also encouraging.

He picked him.... Cocu didn't. Bound to say nice things. 

4 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

He picked him.... Cocu didn't. Bound to say nice things. 

I think that's a bit harsh.

Cocu apparently fought for his signing, and CKR wasn't fit enough to play much part before Cocu was sacked.

Not yet, no.

Winning today exceeded expectations, but equally dropping four points in the previous two games was hugely disappointing. So at best, things look neutral.

However if we get 5-7 points from Stoke and Swansea home and Rotherham away, that shows a clear upturn and would leave Rooney well placed to continue in the role or at the very least, leave a platform for a new manager to come in and kick things on.

I wanted to vote both, I’m not sure he is the right person to take us forward. However the bloke loves football, has achieved almost everything in the game and has worked with one of the best Managers of all time so must have learnt something. Do we give him a chance ahead of hiring one falling of merry go round? I just don’t know

No matter what anyone says there is no doubt the team are putting in a shift for Rooney. If the last three games are anything to go by you can't doubt the level of commitment. He's rang the changes and all those called upon have worked hard.

No one is hiding. 

Probably deserves a shot and he'll get it, but only if the deal falls through.

Archived