Is Rooney The man To Take Us Forward?

Comrade 86

Is Rooney the right man for the manager's position?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In other circumstances, I'd be more willing to give it time but our circumstances are dire.

He might blossom into a decent manager but it's hard to see it happening here. Or he might not. If he is the man to lead us for much more of the season I fear all he will do is condem us to elage one and in the process kill off the notion of him being a manager at all.

No. 

But we all knew that the moment the stories hit the press in October.

It is mind-boggling that the club actually went through with it.

I think Phil Brown would have managed two wins vs Wycombe and Coventry.

We wasted five games too many on Cocu when it was abundantly clear he was unable to turn the tide.

And now we’ve wasted four games letting interim coaches take turns like it’s FIFA career mode.

Absolutely tragic decision making since the summer.

1 minute ago, kevinhectoring said:

86 Schmokes & a Pancake:

question for you.  Do you know what the 32red contracts say and do you think it matters ?

I don't I'm afraid buddy but I think talk of him having a mandatory starting slot was probably wide of the mark. I'd also sooner rip up the contract and be damned than get relegated, as the latter would cost the club a lot more if that's what you wondering about? It's not ideal though, is it?

15 minutes ago, Beetroot said:

Hmm wonder which way this one will go... poor wazza.

No reason he can't be retained though is there bud? We could still offer a sound start to his coaching career alongside another candidate. Who knows, a year or two from now he could be back in place without the pressure cauldron he finds himself in now.

I think it's a fair question to ask at this point in any case and I also think that it's whoever put him in situ who is throwing him under the bus, not the fans. I've said before now, as a staunch Mel supporter, that I hope it was not him as I think this plan was doomed from the start. I also think that it's not all about the manager as the players need to take a long look at themselves. That said, I felt the same under Cocu too.

5 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

No reason he can't be retained though is there bud?

If Rooney doesn't get the manager's job now then he never will. Not this one anyway. He's stopped training - so he's even less use as a player. He won't want to be a coach under Eddie Howe or whoever - and we, or 32RED won't want to pay his wages to just be a coach. Something's got to give. Rooney needed a couple of wins. A reaction. It's not happened. 

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

In other circumstances, I'd be more willing to give it time but our circumstances are dire.

He might blossom into a decent manager but it's hard to see it happening here. Or he might not. If he is the man to lead us for much more of the season I fear all he will do is condem us to elage one and in the process kill off the notion of him being a manager at all.

This^

If he’d got his badges and come in at the start of a season like Lampard then I’d be more comfortable with it as there’d be plenty of time to correct it if it went wrong.

Now is not the time for a novice!

He can go get another position based on his name if we go down. We could spend the next few years in league 1

It's getting hard to care though. I know it's only football and it might be tad dramatic but seeing how we've paid a fortune to get where we are today I find myself thinking "oh just feck off Derby"

Its been a poo year and Derby are poo. Not only are Derby poo but they don't seem to do anything about putting an end to being poo. 

Appoint Rooney. It suits us. Then if he does well then he will move to United and send all their players here on loan like Lampard has with Chelsea.

If he fails then we sack him and bring in Stimac or KSI or maybe David Beckham. Then they can sign Theo Walcott for a club record fee

5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

It's getting hard to care though. I know it's only football and it might be tad dramatic but seeing how we've paid a fortune to get where we are today I find myself thinking "oh just feck off Derby"

That's where I'm at and have been for most of the season. I don't look forward to watching us play anymore, I'm past the point of being angry at us not playing well, I just accept that we're not very good. 

My teenage son said at the weekend ... Rooney is the manager to take us forward!

My son reckons that his presence has resulted in other players upping their game, being inspired by his skill and ability.

He thinks that Rooney has the skills to motivate the players.

(At the moment ... having confident players ... leading to goals and results ... is more important than brilliant tactics. Also, Rooney has a lot to gain from achieving success. Who knows if he has the skill to manage a football club in the long-term - of if he can understand how Championship level players play - but he certainly knows a lot about playing well and putting in effort - and with a team at the bottom of the league, that's probably more important than anything.)

Archived