Is Rooney The man To Take Us Forward?

Comrade 86

Is Rooney the right man for the manager's position?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think there's been an incremental improvement, performance wise, in each game he's taken sole charge of so far. 

If that trend continues over the next few games, it would probably make it likely he'll be the next permanent manager.

No manager we can appoint comes with any guarantees of success, no matter what they've achieved so far, so if he has half a dozen games or so of progress I can't see us turning our noses up.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said yes, somewhat to my own surprise,  for the following reasons:

1) as a player, even with his outstanding natural ability he worked very hard and that’s what we need

2) he’s a decent person - in spite of the media portrayal, but then who believes the media?

3) he’s had experience working under good managers 

4) he was prepared to play in whatever position his manager asked of him - so he’ll expect our players to do the same

So my initial instinctive reaction was “No” but after considering these points I’m going to say “Yes”

I was dead against Rooney getting the job, however, I have to admit if he can at least grab a draw away at Brentford I think he'll have done enough to deserve the opportunity at this point. 

He's clearly got the players unified and he can't be completely blamed for two late goals against Coventry and Wycombe, before that we weren't even scoring goals... So this is something! Plus, if it's between Rooney and Terry then it's got to be Rooney for me.

However, I am aware It's a lot easy to say all of this after we've won a game! 

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

No he wasn't. Holmes in patches in the first half showed much more than Waghorn. He was finished after 45 minutes though, looked well short of fitness.

I can't agree with that.

Waghorns threat led directly to us scoring a goal.

Holmes got in similar positions twice and completely blobbed it.

Answer is still no, for me. 

I won't deny an improvement (though not a massive one ) since he took sole charge, but I still believe that now is not the time for a rookie manager to learn on the job. Not when we are where we are.

I still would want to see an experienced manager and motivator to come in the building and start a new chapter. Rooney and Co were part of the previous chapter that got us into this mess in the first place. Let's not let one scrappy win against a team with almost as awful a record as us paper over that.

If Rooney wants to become part of that coaching team, then I'm all for that. But, again, I don't think now is the time for a first-timer. 

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

No he wasn't. Holmes in patches in the first half showed much more than Waghorn. He was finished after 45 minutes though, looked well short of fitness.

Holmes had a patchy first half alright, for patches he was useless, for patches he was ineffective and for patches he was totally anonymous... he certainly did not chow more than Waghorn...who had one chance and set up a goal. 

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Still a no for me. Ask me again after Brentford because we should be beating Wycomb, Coventry and Milwall. 

Brentford are a proper side playing good football. I'm interested to see how we cope. 

I was going to ask are Brentford all that, seeing as they sold players in the summer so would probably be having a little dip, my guess would be lower mid table. 

Just checked the table, and they're top six! 

I've not had reason to look that high up for months, in my defence!

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Waghorn blobbed it too! Knight scored the goal.

I'd have loved to seen the goal scored from Holmes' effort from a similar position, when he spooned a cross beyond everyone despite having a clear shot at goal!

Puskas winner guaranteed.

Just now, Rev said:

I'd have loved to seen the goal scored from Holmes' effort from a similar position, when he spooned a cross beyond everyone despite having a clear shot at goal!

Puskas winner guaranteed.

Not a fan of Holmes at all, but he and Byrne linked up well. He had some nice play and mostly got back to cover, mostly. Waghorn was okay too.

Did think we'd learn a lot about Rooney today & the early signs are that he is starting to have a positive effect & lessons are being learnt.

Firstly, line up was a good match for Millwall...Davies kept Smith very quiet & Shinnie competed with their hard working midfield. Most importantly though, the subs were excellent & won us the game (in sharp contrast to Tuesday). Millwall were starting to overload on Bielik realising all play was going through him, so on came Bird to share the load & effectively game manage in the closing minutes. Holmes had worked hard but wasnt threatening Millwall, on came Waghorn who assisted for the winner. Timing of the subs was good too with changes made on 64 mins rather than letting the game drift as he did on Tuesday. We scored 5 mins later.

The hard work of the team was apparent too. No passengers today & everyone contributed. Also whilst Millwall pushed in those last 10 mins, we had an element of control that felt very different from other occasions we've led late on. Very impressive considering how fragile we've been in the last week.

I've not changed my mind about Rooney. Still dont think he's earnt the right to manage us & I'd appoint an experienced manager tomorrow if it were possible. But we've got 5 points from his first 3 games, averaging 1.67 points (around 76 over a season/playoff form). If he can maintain that average over the next 10/15 games, I will change my mind. Brentford next & a very different challenge, look forward to seeing how he sets the team up.

25 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Holmes was awful today, exactly how he’s been all season. His football brain is non existent, he has no idea what to do when it matters. Waghorn is not much smarter, but caused problems today when he came on, far more than Holmes. 

Not done anything at all to diminish his chance ..not as articulate as Lampard but a winner and just as Knowledgeable .

We could bring anyone in and they could royally rooster it up ...surely we have learned that over the last 20 years !!!! 

Give it wazza (with macca backing ) 

On a 2 year rolling contract ...

Get it done .

2 minutes ago, bucktwo said:

Not done anything at all ro diminish his chance ..not as articulate as Lampard but a winner and just as Knowledgeable .

We could bring anyone in and they could royally rooster it up ...surely we have learned that over the last 20 years !!!! 

Give it wazza (with mecca backing ) 

On a 2 year rolling contract ...

Get it done .

If Rooney gets it to the end of the season in the first instance, no longer.

A win can change peoples minds, It's what football is about, The thread title is "Is Rooney The man To Take Us Forward?", Who knows, It's a gamble, Just like it would be with any other Manager, Players get used to a Manager, Manager goes players adjust, Manager goes again, Players adjust again, It then becomes time consuming, This club needs stability...and fast, For me i'd give Rooney a chance, If the players are taking note of what WR is trying to do then why change.

WR and SM might just might be what we are looking for.

Archived