Is Rooney The man To Take Us Forward?

Comrade 86

Is Rooney the right man for the manager's position?  

336 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What puzzles me in all this is that during our purple patch last season we did ok in the goal scoring dept. Not spectacular but a good average plus. Chris Martin wasn’t playing every game, Lawrence and Waghorn were finding the net and players were pretty much the same. Ok .. Bogle and Lowe went but Kamil came in and some of the youngsters have impressed and grown. In terms of potential and personnel we should be able to score at a reasonable level. ... For me it’s got to be down to self belief rather than tactics. .. Keep clean sheets pick up points, score the odd one and we can get there. There has to be a game where it goes our way and the confidence gets an overdue bump .. then we will kick on ... sure of it ?

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rooney? Why not? He's steadied the ship, stopped the rot. We have a shape, a plan, we don't fanny about as much, we create good positions that atm are wasted by the final ball - that will come with a touch of confidence that @jono mentions above.

We could go for an experienced, safe pair of hands like Pulis, Hughton or Colin.........nah, lets cling on to the roller coaster for a bit longer.

I remember you couldn't stop crying
You found me when I thought I was dying
Believe me when I say
I tried so hard to change
All the crazy poo I made you do
The long nights you held me through
Believe me when I say
I could never be saved
Be saved

Yeah, I tried
To get it off my mind
To leave it all behind
Don't wanna make it worse
Wayne Rooney's gonna make it work
Yeah, I tried
To get it off my mind
To leave it all behind

I remember you stayed up all night
To make sure I was alright
Believe me when I say
I would have done the same
I hate the way my brain is wired
Can't trust my mind, it's such a liar
Believe me when I say
Wayne Rooney can carry the weight
The weight

Yeah, I tried
To get it off my mind
To leave it all behind
Yeah, I tried
To get it off my mind
To leave it all behind

Oh, Roo will make it work, make it work
make it work
make it work
Oh, I just left the dirt, yeah, off the curb
Roo will do the work
Oh, I, I'm so disturbed, Roo can fix the hurt
Can fix the hurt

9 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

I remember you couldn't stop crying
You found me when I thought I was dying
Believe me when I say
I tried so hard to change
All the crazy poo I made you do
The long nights you held me through
Believe me when I say
I could never be saved
Be saved

Yeah, I tried
To get it off my mind
To leave it all behind
Yeah, I tried
To get it off my mind
To leave it all behind

I remember you stayed up all night
To make sure I was alright
Believe me when I say
I would have done the same
I hate the way my brain is wired
Can't trust my mind, it's such a liar
Believe me when I say
Wayne Rooney can carry the weight
The weight

Yeah, I tried
To get it off my mind
To leave it all behind
Yeah, I tried
To get it off my mind
To leave it all behind

make it work
make it work
Oh, I just left the dirt, yeah, off the curb
Roo will do the work
Oh, I, I'm so disturbed, Roo can fix the hurt
Can fix the hurt

Catchy mate, I'll see if I can get it going in my living room Saturday afternoon. ???

1 minute ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Where are you sitting this week, atmosphere any good?

The atmosphere will be electric, I'll have the Rams flag out. If we win I'll go and get a lottery ticket and some beer from the local shop wearing a Rams scarf, hoping beyond hope to bump into a clayhead acquaintance....?

11 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

The atmosphere will be electric, I'll have the Rams flag out. If we win I'll go and get a lottery ticket and some beer from the local shop wearing a Rams scarf, hoping beyond hope to bump into a clayhead acquaintance....?

Singing in the local shop......"We"ll be with you, be with you, every step along the way to buy the tissues to wipe them tears away"

5 hours ago, jono said:

What puzzles me in all this is that during our purple patch last season we did ok in the goal scoring dept. Not spectacular but a good average plus. Chris Martin wasn’t playing every game, Lawrence and Waghorn were finding the net and players were pretty much the same. Ok .. Bogle and Lowe went but Kamil came in and some of the youngsters have impressed and grown. In terms of potential and personnel we should be able to score at a reasonable level. ... For me it’s got to be down to self belief rather than tactics. .. Keep clean sheets pick up points, score the odd one and we can get there. There has to be a game where it goes our way and the confidence gets an overdue bump .. then we will kick on ... sure of it ?

I think the home tonking by Blackburn has been the football equivalent of long Covid?

Hopefully the lads are slowly building some self belief and will kick on later this afternoon with a right royal tonking of their own v Stoke.

??

6 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Where are you sitting this week, atmosphere any good?

My “Girls” going to TK Maxx.

So ....  Moving armchair to central position right of the gangway ..  Then relocating small table to just next to the famous “fireplace end” so that I am the other side of that big pillar (you know, that one with the loudspeaker, then I’ll be able to see over that tall stewards head, and get closer to Stoke fans on my left .. all the easier to shout “who are you” 

Trouble is fans around me are a bit quiet these days and my mates with the drums are all self isolating 

Bottle of Corona and a bowl of Bombay mix, ipad attached to TV and phone logged in to DCFC fans

Waynes your Uncle Gladys is your Aunt .. job done. 

COYR 

We have improved, just need to add a bit more goal threat and I would expect us to recover to mid table kind of position.

Is Rooney the right person for the job long term? 

Given that we've tried a vast number of different managers and types of manager over the last 10 years, depressing as it is, I don't think it actually matters. He'll be with us 18 months max. If he's decent he'll leave after 6 months of speculation. If he's poo he'll leave after 6 months of speculation. Then we'll be playing exactly the same game again, still in the Championship and debating the merits of whatever average managers are available at that point.

Might as well give him a crack at it.

If he’s staying on ( and even if he isn’t), I hope someone has already identified the forward we need and that we sign him on 1 January. If we don’t get the right man to start scoring and assisting, we’re up against it. That’s been obvious since the start of the season but even more stark now that different styles and management have made no difference to the number of goals this current set of players are likely to score.

Whether he is or he isn't, surely we can all agree that the club need to just make a damn decision on this. Seriously. It's appaling.

I mean, are they interviewing other candidates now? Is there a process going on? When did they tweet that the search for a new manager was underway? It's really poor and isn't helping us at all in this really important time in the season.

Make a ducking decision, Derby. Whether you're hiring Wayne or hiring someone else. Just get on with it.

If you can sack the previous manager, you can get on with hiring a bloody new one. 

And finally: I don't buy this "waiting for the new owners" thing at all. At this point, the only reason the new ownership have to wait off on making a decision is for reasons of vanity. They want to be the ones introducing the manager. Who cares at this point. Stop allowing this club to dribble on in a state of limbo, ffs. 

10 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Still no

So far it seems to me our biggest gain in Rooney being manager is him not on the pitch and Bielik replacing him. Bielik offers so much more and enables a change in tempo.

The clean sheets are welcome but our biggest issue has been scoring and still is. 

I really hoped today would be the game Rooney proved he could get us scoring. Maybe Swansea...

3 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

So far it seems to me our biggest gain in Rooney being manager is him not on the pitch and Bielik replacing him. Bielik offers so much more and enables a change in tempo.

The clean sheets are welcome but our biggest issue has been scoring and still is. 

I really hoped today would be the game Rooney proved he could get us scoring. Maybe Swansea...

I agree with a lot of what @Nuwtflysays in his post..... someone has to get the ball rolling and come out and say either:

a) Job is his

b) We announce someone else

This muddling position we are in is hurting the club more.

4 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I agree with a lot of what @Nuwtflysays in his post..... someone has to get the ball rolling and come out and say either:

a) Job is his

b) We announce someone else

This muddling position we are in is hurting the club more.

You’d think Melvyn would have the decency to update us soon, either way. 

38 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Whether he is or he isn't, surely we can all agree that the club need to just make a damn decision on this. Seriously. It's appalling.

I mean, are they interviewing other candidates now? Is there a process going on? When did they tweet that the search for a new manager was underway? It's really poor and isn't helping us at all in this really important time in the season.

Who is going to make a decision to give someone else a 3 year deal? Who will come here that is better than Rooney?

Whoever is here will not find a striker until January at the earliest. I thought we looked really good until Lawrence went off, but even then we threatened them and held them out. I can't think you would get any better - Hughton? Pulis?

18 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Rooney? Why not? He's steadied the ship, stopped the rot. We have a shape, a plan, we don't fanny about as much, we create good positions that atm are wasted by the final ball - that will come with a touch of confidence that @jono mentions above.

We could go for an experienced, safe pair of hands like Pulis, Hughton or Colin.........nah, lets cling on to the roller coaster for a bit longer.

Huyton isn't doing much with Florest, so why replace Rooney with him?  Does not make sense at this point in time.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who is going to make a decision to give someone else a 3 year deal?

The same people who sacked Cocu, maybe? Or perhaps our new technical director? Or maybe the new owner? They were clearly involved enough to agree to let the new manager go, so I don't buy that they can't make a decision on a new one yet.

Who will come here that is better than Rooney?

I mean, this is a question of opinions, isn't it? I could give you a list of managers who I think would be better than Rooney, but is there much point? Let's be straight here, Roy, whoever I say you are going to disagree with because you have very clearly set your Rooney stall out. 

Whoever is here will not find a striker until January at the earliest. I thought we looked really good until Lawrence went off, but even then we threatened them and held them out.

I agree with you, very positive start. Said so in the match thread. But the rest of the game, second half especially, was disappointing in my opinion. It's another two points dropped. That's six dropped now under Rooney. 

I can't think you would get any better - Hughton? Pulis?

Again, all about opinions, Roy. You can say look how Hughton and Pulis have done...I would say look how Warnock's done.

It all depends on who you appoint. 

Archived