Abu Derby County

tinman

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I suspect that if we don't we'll be looking for a new manager in early February.

I think Rooney is under no illusions as to having huge resources, but he's expecting to be able to bring in a cheap centre forward, centre back and wide player to ensure that we don't slip back into the danger zone - an injury to our 35 year old striker and we're going down as things stand. If he isn't able to bring in at least two and it's the club's fault, I think he'll walk. His stock as a manager is currently very high and I doubt he'll need the money.

Tend to disagree. Suspect Rooney wants to become a top manager. He's young, rich, a life still ahead. He will know Alex Ferguson started at East Stirling then St Mirren with little money, will see that Frank Lampard arguably took Chelsea too early, will want to pace himself. A good grounding at Derby County, who knows he could grow with the club if a far sighted new owner comes in. There's some modern infrastructure including a stadium that could one day be expanded. Rooney probably has the vision thing. Where's a decent hedge fund when you need one...

5 minutes ago, derby8 said:

Tend to disagree. Suspect Rooney wants to become a top manager. He's young, rich, a life still ahead. He will know Alex Ferguson started at East Stirling then St Mirren with little money, will see that Frank Lampard arguably took Chelsea too early, will want to pace himself. A good grounding at Derby County, who knows he could grow with the club if a far sighted new owner comes in. There's some modern infrastructure including a stadium that could one day be expanded. Rooney probably has the vision thing. Where's a decent hedge fund when you need one...

For Rooney we're a free hit anyway, the narrative is already established so if he fails it's on the club not him, if he successfully keeps us up his stock is high enough to get a low prem or top championship job. Either way this season he can bail out with no harm done to himself. I don't think he will because I don't think he's that cynical and I don't think he'd accept "giving up" on his first job.

Of course, if we screw him over by selling Knight, Bielik and Buchanan, that'd be a different story.

The test will be next season, suppose he keeps us up and we have a middling budget, will he meet or exceed expectations.

3 minutes ago, derby8 said:

The problem is that a relegation could end his managerial career before it begins. You mention a 'good grounding', and I think that's what Rooney is aiming for. We are a big Championship club with great facilities, so he'll see that as a plus, but that changes if we remain a basket case of a club, unable to sign players or pay wages. It stops being a good grounding and becomes a pointless endeavour. Sir Alex never suffered a relegation or an administration. I honestly don't think that Rooney is asking for very much, just enough to allow him to ease us away from the drop zone.

9 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

The problem is that a relegation could end his managerial career before it begins.

I think he'd get away with it on a "it was impossible due to the clubs situation" Media narrative. It'd still hurt him, but I don't think fatality. It'd probably put him on having to serve more time in the championship kind of footing. That's just my opinion though.

Agree with everything else in your post, I don't think he wants miracles, just enough to actually do the job in hand.

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think he'd get away with it on a "it was impossible due to the clubs situation" Media narrative. It'd still hurt him, but I don't think fatality. It'd probably put him on having to serve more time in the championship kind of footing. That's just my opinion though.

Agree with everything else in your post, I don't think he wants miracles, just enough to actually do the job in hand.

Agree. The summer would be a crunch time. A new owner with some vision ahead, Rooney would be up for promotion back to the championship at the first attempt. Ownership still unresolved, drifting around, he may look to start afresh...

6 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Noooooooooooooooooooooo. I want everything and I want it now.

Well, you can't have it!  Times are hard.  This is the problem with society toda... Oooooh... hang on... You little tinker!  You nearly had me there!  That was not funny!

... Now go to your room!  

35 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Steady on Wayne!

image.thumb.jpeg.5813ec586c1726e659f89c2888558ef7.jpeg

The only red shirt you can put on here is an England shirt or maybe other nationalities but never league clubs - this needs to be a rule so maybe the lovely mods could consider bringing a rule in.

5 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Absolutely. 

We're stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment: Mel Morris is completely checked out. I wish he wasn't, but he is evidently done with the situation. I would imagine that the reported £60m is his ticket out of here and he doesn't seem in the slightest bit bothered what these gigantic red flags mean for the future of Derby County. I half expect the takeover to happen and the late payments to players to continue, perhaps a demotion for the academy in the tier system and the entire club just to regress. The ownership that put Wigan into administration last season didn't seem this bad, so  I think to call the guys coming in fantasists is a kindness. 

I would like Mel to announce that the takeover won't happen and he will, as before, continue to financially support the club to the best of his ability until another potential buyer, preferably one who can fund the takeover, can be found. Who knows, perhaps that isn't possible? I'm not sure, but whilst Mel isn't invested anymore, both personally and financially, and the other option is a middle-eastern group who are struggling to find funds are our other option. It leads me to believe that the immediate future is extremely bleak for Derby County FC. 

I guess we could potentially have a new start up 'FC County of Derbyshire' and play in white and blue to keep moral up. 

I am sure Mel would be interested in safeguarding the future of Derby, not only is he a fan, he's had bigger vested interest than anyone in the last few years with DCFC. He probably is very bothered about things at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Footymum2017 said:

More likely that players are going ... Sibley to Rangers on a loan to permanent deal is what I've heard.

That's heartbreaking to hear - especially from you as you appear to be reliable and ITK.

I have understood why negotiations on the "Takeover" have had to be done behind closed doors. However, if the crown jewels, Sibley, Gordon, etc, are going to be sold off, I think there has to be a statement from the club along the lines of "Look people, we don't want to have to do this but it is the only way that our club will survive".

That may lead to a hit in season ticket sales post-covid but I think the majority will understand the reasoning.

6 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Simple question I'd be asking the BZG lot right now, 

"if you can't find the cash for the takeover how do you expect to finance the club on an ongoing basis?" 

I suspect the answer will be to asset strip, as I can't really see any other way of them being able to do it. 

We need to sack these jokers off as soon as possible, they will be the ruin of us. 

It’s clear they are a bunch of chancers without anything of substance and like you I want shut of them. BUT .. you can’t seriously asset strip a championship club .. there are the players and that’s about it .. we don’t have special machinery, patents or a brand name that’s saleable .. what assets are you talking about stripping that would get them their money back ? 
Oystons did it at Blackpool but they were just spending Prem money that was there. .. What have we got ? 

Archived