Abu Derby County

tinman

15 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Just seen a headline that Barcelona are on the 'verge of bankruptcy', as a financial report highlights debts of £1.1billion....so maybe it doesn't work for them after all....

They're big spenders. But who would you rather owned the clubs debts, hedge funders or fans?

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Wolfie20 said:

Depends who the 'fans' were - I wouldn't let some run a bath let alone have a say in running the Club.

Just as it depends who 'investors' are, most I wouldn't trust either. But if they're both good then fans still win out. 

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

I would like to think so, but it was within his power to pay the players, allow Rooney to make the necessary changes and stop the club from going into a transfer embargo. 

How the club has been run/left in the lurch in the past month is exactly the opposite to how I expected it to be run under a supporter of the club. I know there have been mitigating factors, but ultimately it was within his power to stop what's happened from happening. No ifs or buts. 

If you're selling a dog to someone who, for whatever reasons, is delayed in making the payment/collection. The dog still belongs in your care and you should still feed it and walk it - at a minimum. Jesus, even get it a chew toy every once in a while too! 

No one seems to know the exact issue though, if a contract has been signed and the money has not been forthcoming, it isn't Mel's fault. He may have also started a plan B in motion (loan) earlier than people think to cover the payments. But if it's as simple as there was not a plan B in place, then maybe the dog should still have been fed and walked! Hoping some alternative buyers are found soon.

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I would like to think so, but it was within his power to pay the players, allow Rooney to make the necessary changes and stop the club from going into a transfer embargo. 

That's the problem though.  Not one single one of us know that as fact. 
Yes, he was still the legal owner, which appears to suggest that he's responsible for paying the wages of course... but is it not even slightly possible (*Genuine question... I ain't no business owner!) that contracts were signed, to come into effect from a certain date (e.g. from 24/12/20)?  Or maybe even a "gentleman's agreement"?  And the agreement being that from that date, all outgoings are to be funded by the new guys, and Mel is to close his account?  Any other approach, and it F's up the selling price?

Only on, or immediately after, that date, did Mel then need to talk to them (urgently!), ask them wtf the funds were, and subsequently... eventually... feel the need to raise funds from elsewhere (be that the pocket of his gaberdine mac in the wardrobe, other investors, or third party loans).  Maybe he had to tidy up a few loose ends, and get certain promises and/or agreements in place, (perhaps even a renegotiation of the selling price) before he had "The power" to once again pay the players?

With the "assurances" coming from the club, around that time, I'd say it was quite feasible that these guys have taken Mel for a ride, and left him in quite a considerably embarrassing position, as well as leaving him to tidy up this whole sorry mess.

Yes, argue that it is a mess of his own doing, if that is your want, but to state as fact that "It was within his power to pay the players" on the specific date they were due, suggests you know more than the rest of us.  (Maybe you do?  Then let's have it!)

I don't deny, the above could be 100% total crap... but until such factual evidence is made public (so never, then!), then your statement could... to a lesser degree... also be total crap!

... or not... as the case may be?  

?‍♂️

EDIT:

Sorry.  Posted that before seeing the post above from @Theres’s Only Wan Chope, which I heartily agree with.  

3 hours ago, rynny said:

Weren't we in a good position when Mel came in? I'm not sure it would have gone down well with anyone if he got rid of Rush straight away. 

That's a joke is it ? The man who sacked people on a regular basis would have cared if it went down well or not ?

I think we all have to accept that the most likely outcome now is we don’t have a takeover, we don’t sign anyone and we carry on limping along for the rest of the season. Best case we survive in the league and someone else takes us over before the summer.

I just can’t see this happening and certainly not before the end of the window. If it was just the initial take over statement then fair enough but the “48 hours”, “this week”, “money sent” statements just mean, for me, it’s unlikely. If you’re in a situation where you believe it will be done prior to payday but then it’s still not done weeks after that then something is surely amiss. 

1 minute ago, WilkoRam said:

I think we all have to accept that the most likely outcome now is we don’t have a takeover, we don’t sign anyone and we carry on limping along for the rest of the season. Best case we survive in the league and someone else takes us over before the summer.

I just can’t see this happening and certainly not before the end of the window. If it was just the initial take over statement then fair enough but the “48 hours”, “this week”, “money sent” statements just mean, for me, it’s unlikely. If you’re in a situation where you believe it will be done prior to payday but then it’s still not done weeks after that then something is surely amiss. 

I've been saying this since the beginning of December. Thread needs closing.

So when the inevitable happens and the takeover is finally confirmed as dead in the pond, does the blame once again land at someone else's door, seems very convenient...and also seems to be a common theme for the last six odd years ?

Archived