Derby County v Cardiff City Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'd worry about Sibley/knight as being a bit lightweight as a midfield 2. Perhaps when he refinds his form Bird will take over the Shinnie role in the current team (aside from shoehoring Rooney in for Shinnie) but I see Sibley as more of a 10 than a central midfielder.

He won’t get a game then in this new system.

Just now, RamNut said:

He won’t get a game then in this new system.

Yeah, it just doesn't have a place for him which is a shame because is he a very talented player. Unfortunatly, we've just started to find a balanced team and gain an understanding playing this way. I wouldn't feel too bad about it as we may well change again when personnel allow, going back to a 4-3-3 with Beilik-Kinght-Sibley as the three for matches where we can expect to be on the front  foot, or Bielik-Bird with Sibley 10 in 4-2-3-1 or just see how we can best mitigate shoehorning Rooney into the side and if that involves having Sibley?

10 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

In all of the formations I've seen we appear to be playing 3-4-3.

I think it would be more accurate to show the full backs somewhere between defence and midfield. 

Their role is more defensive than a wide midfield berth. 

It's just that in a 5, one full back can attack whilst the other drops back a bit. 

Byrne and Buchanan have done a sterling job so far. 

Essentially we have a two man central midfield and that means lots of running and hassling. 

Shinnie and Knight are the best at that. 

Rubbish, did you not see how far they were up the pitch all game. They attacked together, both went forward, in fact the first attack we had was Buchanan crossing for Byrne but there cb cleared it. 
They are both up and down the wing doing both a full back and a wingers job in one proper wing backs. 

51 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

Rubbish, did you not see how far they were up the pitch all game. They attacked together, both went forward, in fact the first attack we had was Buchanan crossing for Byrne but there cb cleared it. 
They are both up and down the wing doing both a full back and a wingers job in one proper wing backs. 

You know what they say best forn of defance is to attack oppsiterion.

3 hours ago, roboto said:

I don't think Davies would be anywhere near as effective in a back four. He needs options to pass to or he will get pressed and make a bad pass. It's clear that he is the best tackler/header of the ball we have back there, but his passing isn't anywhere near the right standard for how we play. At the moment he has Wisdom and Clarke offering 2 easy sideways outlets and Marshall behind. Take away a defender and it becomes easy to block the sideways pass off and the ball will go back to Marshall most of the time, or maybe a 50/50 pass through the lines, which he clearly isn't comfortable with on recent performances.

He had a few good passes against Forest because they gave him time to assess his options, but not all teams will allow him that amount of time. 3-4-3 is working and a lot of teams are moving to 3 at the back as it's the current trending formation offering stability at the back and control of the midfield. 

Agree completely. However not all Champ teams have a big lump up front so sometimes guile is better than Braun.

47 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Agree completely. However not all Champ teams have a big lump up front so sometimes guile is better than Braun.

We shouldn’t need Braun. It would be good if we could groom a ball playing centre back via the Academy. It makes me bristle that there is no current young up and coming option for that position. Just thinking about it gets me in a lather.

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

We shouldn’t need Braun. It would be good if we could groom a ball playing centre back via the Academy. It makes me bristle that there is no current young up and coming option for that position. Just thinking about it gets me in a lather.

Harrison Solomon looks like a prospect but he’s years away from being ready for the first team.

5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

We need to comb the lower leagues for a prospect. May be a close shave but am sure we could get someone in during the next window. Mel may bristle if the price is a little high but he could keep it within budget even if it’s just by a whisker. Something for the weekend Sir??

4 hours ago, roboto said:

I don't think Davies would be anywhere near as effective in a back four. He needs options to pass to or he will get pressed and make a bad pass. It's clear that he is the best tackler/header of the ball we have back there, but his passing isn't anywhere near the right standard for how we play. At the moment he has Wisdom and Clarke offering 2 easy sideways outlets and Marshall behind. Take away a defender and it becomes easy to block the sideways pass off and the ball will go back to Marshall most of the time, or maybe a 50/50 pass through the lines, which he clearly isn't comfortable with on recent performances.

He had a few good passes against Forest because they gave him time to assess his options, but not all teams will allow him that amount of time. 3-4-3 is working and a lot of teams are moving to 3 at the back as it's the current trending formation offering stability at the back and control of the midfield. 

I don't know if it's a short-term confidence thing, but I feel exactly the same thing could be said of Clark. Of all our players he seems the one who turns back and passes to Marshall when there's a straightforward forward option, but he can't bring himself to risk it. But if he were a brilliant ball player, he'd be in the Prem with Brighton.  Which lleads to the question of whether Championship players are capable of being part of a ball playing, total football back four. Certainly not all of them.

Given our (lack of) ability on the ball at the back, one of the things I'm delighted about is that we haven't been stupidly messing around at the back since the long post-Blackburn team meeting. Far too much risk with way too little reward. And we're starting to go for swift breaks and keeping going forward once we've broken the opposition lines, instead of turning round and stopping or playing the ball backwards while we wait for the opposition to get organized. One of my old coaches used to say, "football is a simple game, often played by idiots". It's not rocket science to make yourselves less vulnerable and more dangerous.

8 hours ago, DCFC27 said:

A formation has usually been the defensive shape rather than average position. Hence Derby playing 541 and Forest 4231. If using average positions then its rare to see any team play "4 at the back. Derby's would have been 343, but Forest would have been 2431

SmartSelect_20201027-051408_Chrome.thumb.jpg.64d31f298aab1f4d7ac028bca3763366.jpg

SmartSelect_20201027-051435_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2e1cec27ff4be9eafdc0d378390c080a.jpg

In addition, Derby during Mac I wouldn't have been the popular 433, but 2323 instead.

I think the football this season, certainly in the last few games, has shown a much higher ceiling of potential than I ever saw last season. It's obvious there are things to improve, more so concentration and fitness levels, but I feel strongly about our chances to progress and do well with the players returning. 

Cardiff could be a good game for us, hopefully we see it all click and then we can get the ball rolling. 

Until Cocu is able to pick from a fully fit squad and (with luck) give them a run of games together, we will not able to fully gauge the potential of this team.

The elements are there (minus a big man up top) of a really good competitive side who can more than hold there own with anyone in this division. 

We need (as do all teams who go on to be promoted) our key players too both regularly hit form and stay away from injury. 

Then I think you will see us rapidly move up the league from our current position. 

We have a good blend of youth,experience, pace and power who just need to gel,stay fit and gain consistency of performance.

Keep the faith lads the Championship is long hard marathon and its early days yet.

We'll be in the mix for the top 6 by the end of season.  

Com'n you Rams

On 26/10/2020 at 23:07, i-Ram said:

Sadly you lack the wisdom of Solomon.

Archived