Derby County v Cardiff City Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all of the formations I've seen we appear to be playing 3-4-3.

I think it would be more accurate to show the full backs somewhere between defence and midfield. 

Their role is more defensive than a wide midfield berth. 

It's just that in a 5, one full back can attack whilst the other drops back a bit. 

Byrne and Buchanan have done a sterling job so far. 

Essentially we have a two man central midfield and that means lots of running and hassling. 

Shinnie and Knight are the best at that. 

1 hour ago, DCFC27 said:

Whereas it’ll be great to see, I think Shinnie is key to this formation at the moment, he covers every blade of grass and cut out so many attacks last week. 

Other teams often foul us when it looks like we are going to make a breakaway. We need to reply with similar if necessary. Shinnie is looking essential to me for covering the back three. He has a lot of stamina and plays full on until the final whistle.

26 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Davies plays because they have Moore.

I think it’ll be unchanged Although I’d argue do you need three centre backs against one striker?

Would still like to see 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3.

Davies plays every game because he has transformed the defence into a solid unit. Like a really expensive signing. Brilliant player 

Unchanged for me. What hope have you got for having some consistency in performances when the team being picked isn't consistent?

Byrne is fine apparently, as is Waggy, so they and Lawrence should be fit enough to start again. 

Obviously no Rooney, and I think Ibe and Bielik will still be spending some time in the u23s games.

5 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Ibe having another outing in the U23s first....

“Ibe hope not” in the position he plays he’d be okay coming of the bench next in the first team now, he needs match sharpness which he’s can build in 20/30 mins in the first team. 
It’s not like he’s coming back from and injury like Beliek, I’ve just hasn’t been playing he just need to get some championship minutes to get up to speed now. He’s not going to get anything by playing in the under 23s 

33 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

“Ibe hope not” in the position he plays he’d be okay coming of the bench next in the first team now, he needs match sharpness which he’s can build in 20/30 mins in the first team. 
It’s not like he’s coming back from and injury like Beliek, I’ve just hasn’t been playing he just need to get some championship minutes to get up to speed now. He’s not going to get anything by playing in the under 23s 

That’s what Cocu has said, ask him....

7 hours ago, rammieib said:

Davies plays because they have Moore.

I think it’ll be unchanged Although I’d argue do you need three centre backs against one striker?

Would still like to see 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3.

I don't think Davies would be anywhere near as effective in a back four. He needs options to pass to or he will get pressed and make a bad pass. It's clear that he is the best tackler/header of the ball we have back there, but his passing isn't anywhere near the right standard for how we play. At the moment he has Wisdom and Clarke offering 2 easy sideways outlets and Marshall behind. Take away a defender and it becomes easy to block the sideways pass off and the ball will go back to Marshall most of the time, or maybe a 50/50 pass through the lines, which he clearly isn't comfortable with on recent performances.

He had a few good passes against Forest because they gave him time to assess his options, but not all teams will allow him that amount of time. 3-4-3 is working and a lot of teams are moving to 3 at the back as it's the current trending formation offering stability at the back and control of the midfield. 

8 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

In all of the formations I've seen we appear to be playing 3-4-3.

I think it would be more accurate to show the full backs somewhere between defence and midfield. 

Their role is more defensive than a wide midfield berth. 

It's just that in a 5, one full back can attack whilst the other drops back a bit. 

Byrne and Buchanan have done a sterling job so far. 

Essentially we have a two man central midfield and that means lots of running and hassling. 

Shinnie and Knight are the best at that. 

There’s on video on YouTube where bielsa talks about all the different formations and argues that the formation changes as the players move. So what is shown generically as 343 is sometimes 541 or 523 or 343 etc as the attackers and wing backs attack or withdraw etc . 
it amused him that one coach complained that his team was supposed to be playing a particular formation and it didn’t work because the players moved. When he told the anecdote he expected the room to burst into laughter with him at the stupidity of the remark, but it was met with total silence. the whole room missed his point. 

any road. Shinnie can graft allowing knight to attack. Sometimes they both defend. Sometimes Shinnie popped up in the box as effectively a second striker. So he isn’t restricted to a defensive role.
we are used to seeing the two as two holding players in 4231 but my point is the two have great license in the 343.

Are we admiring Shinnie or the different role of the midfielder? Whilst Shinnie was great I just think Sibley can do all that as well, but is a better player. He would be more likely to chip in with 10 goals. How many would Shinnie get? Where will all the goals come from to get us into play offs?

it wouldn’t surprise me if Shinnie makes way for Rooney. but I’d play Sibley in preference to both.

18 minutes ago, RamNut said:

There’s on video on YouTube where bielsa talks about all the different formations and argues that the formation changes as the players move. So what is shown generically as 343 is sometimes 541 or 523 or 343 etc as the attackers and wing backs attack or withdraw etc . 
it amused him that one coach complained that his team was supposed to be playing a particular formation and it didn’t work because the players moved. When he told the anecdote he expected the room to burst into laughter with him at the stupidity of the remark, but it was met with total silence. the whole room missed his point. 

any road. Shinnie can graft allowing knight to attack. Sometimes they both defend. Sometimes Shinnie popped up in the box as effectively a second striker. So he isn’t restricted to a defensive role.
we are used to seeing the two as two holding players in 4231 but my point is the two have great license in the 343.

Are we admiring Shinnie or the different role of the midfielder? Whilst Shinnie was great I just think Sibley can do all that as well, but is a better player. He would be more likely to chip in with 10 goals. How many would Shinnie get? Where will all the goals come from to get us into play offs?

it wouldn’t surprise me if Shinnie makes way for Rooney. but I’d play Sibley in preference to both.

I think you’re definitely right in questioning where the goals are going to come from this season.

We have probably six players in each starting line up that would be surprising scorers, and probably two more that you wouldn’t expect to get more than five in a season.

Sibley will become a midfielder but at thIs stage I would rather see him play further forward. Better in a three with Shinnie and Knight.

Archived