Derby County v Cardiff City Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Rampage said:

He was not injured.

He was. You could see he was cramping up and holding his leg, and Cocu said as much. Were you not watching?

Replacing Byrne with Buchanan (with the introduction of Forsyth) was a sound tactical decision as Byrne was being targeted in the air. Cocu (and us!) did not expect Buchanan to cramp up, thus forcing him to use his second sub to replace him with MTW. This obviously cramped ? Cocu's ability to freshen things up attacking-wise. I suspect that with two subs available we would have seen Sibley as well as CKR. If the keeper hadn't saved Waghorn's shot from CKR's knock-down we wouldn't even be having this debate.

Fingers crossed that Jozwiak's injury isn't too serious.

I thought we played ok 

we are not letting shed loads of goals in ( thanks to Davies basically)

we are energetic in midfield 

we are not starting with the stupid defensive midfielder who phaffs around going nowhere with the ball 

our goalkeeper is removing danger by getting the ball away from our goal

we have wide men to concern the opposition ( need to cross the ball mind)

Our free kicks are doing well 

it will come folks 

More improvement, more frustration. In many ways 1 - 1 was about right. Cardiff played the ball around well, and were much more accurate in their interplay, but wither they had n cutting edge, or our defence made them look toothless, especially in the first half. Yes, I now, they hit the woodwork twice, and could have had 4 goals last night. But hitting the post was the only time they actually threatened in the first half, and that only came because of a foul on Curtis Davis - it is almost written into the EFL rules that fouling Davis in build-up play is not only acceptable, it is expected. And it typifies the match where there was a constant stream of fouls on Derby players with very little done about it. The foul on Lawrence for the goal should have been a yellow, and that was probably all it needed. If the ref had clamped down early on who knows what the outcome would have been.  But as ever, he kept letting the fouls continue, till the nasty final one which may well have taken Kamil out for a few matches. 

At least a sort of justice was served for the foul on Lawrence with Waggy's goal, which io put down to a huge goal-keeping error. Either he expected Buchanan (I think) to take it, or had set the wall up to force Waggy to shoot to his right, which is where the keeper was standing, miles away from where he needed to be. Good one, Waggy! Sadly, the foul tended to negate the bright nd threatening start which Tom had made.

Overall it is encouraging to see how Cocu seems to have almost completely done away with the tippy-tappy approach, so now we have an urgency to transition quickly into attack, and but for the oft-mentioned decision making, we could have had 5 or 6 goals last night.So much for "Cardiff should have scored 4 - actually they had 4 goods chances, that is all). Not seeing Josciak (twice), and not shooting first time cost us. And although the first substitution may have been justified, making 2 or 3 defensive changes when Cardiff were there for the taking was disappointing, as we went back to trying to defend a 1 - 0 lead again. I don't know if anyone has told Cocu yet, but we have not good at that for maybe 10 or 25 years, so it really isn't a good option.

There are encouraging signs of progress, and many times people have said that all they want to see is passion and progress - we have seen that for the last few games now, and surely our final-third decision making must be worked on at the training ground, and we will be good to go. 

One final thought - this new urgency to get the ball forwards has only happened during Rooney's enforced absence. Will it still be evident when he returns?

I like how loads of people were saying Davies is finished and not good enough on the ball, too slow and a load of other rubbish. He then comes back into the team and has been rock solid proving people wrong. Looking at the poor standards of our other defenders I knew we were crying out for him to play, hopefully he can stay fit and play most matches despite his age. 

8 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why not yesterday? Why will it? Seriously I mean. I don't do the Cocu out stuff for the sake of it. We're looking like we'll get another 4 years of Clough-style challenging.

Yes, that's unfortunately where we are. Clough did leave behind a talented  and Steve Mac inherited a good set up. The way things shape up now, If Cocu sees it to the end of his contract, he would be doing well to equal Nigel Clough's legacy. 

Archived