Derby County v Cardiff City Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feeling pretty optimistic. 

We might not win, we might not win vs Bournemouth but if we continue in the same vain we were against Forest we're at the level of an OK team in this division and if we keep to that standard we'll win enough to fine for the season. 

After our start, I'm not thinking about anything more than getting ourselves reassuringly mid table. Talk of anything more ambitious can happily come once we've strung a few more wins together, but for now, lets just focus on being at the right level.

And I lived in Swansea in my 20s and it's safe to say I acquired a dislike of Cardiff City by osmosis.

On 26/10/2020 at 23:40, Carl Sagan said:

Given our (lack of) ability on the ball at the back, one of the things I'm delighted about is that we haven't been stupidly messing around at the back since the long post-Blackburn team meeting. Far too much risk with way too little reward. And we're starting to go for swift breaks and keeping going forward once we've broken the opposition lines, instead of turning round and stopping or playing the ball backwards while we wait for the opposition to get organized. One of my old coaches used to say, "football is a simple game, often played by idiots". It's not rocket science to make yourselves less vulnerable and more dangerous.

Totally agree with this. We look so much better when we get the ball forward more quickly and minimise the fannying around at the back.

It really helps having Joz and Tom Lawrence back, and Knight back in centre mid, to carry the ball forward. Also having Buchanan on the pitch - he’s a monster in the air and allows Marshall to play the ball out to the flank. He invariably wins it.

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Cardiff are mid-table types and we should have nothing to fear about being able to give them a good game.

It's about how WE play, not them!

Love that post. I really believe we have a chance of giving ourselves an identity. An interesting mix of players and Cocus technical desires give potential to be a side that isn’t “ordinary” .. we just have to do it on the pitch, play our game and stick to whatever ideals the teams ability and the bosses culture demands. 

I am so nervous tonight .. get a decent win and confidence soars from top to bottom. It has nothing to do with current league position, form, likely final league position or anything else .. it’s one of those games that could simply be a signpost to better things. 

Archived