Derby County v Cardiff City Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

1 minute ago, r4derby said:

He would, but that’s what Curt’s in there for. Davies on the big man, MTW and Wisdom have strength enough to deal with others. Pretty sure Andre could handle any of Cardiff’s big boys

Andre’s not great in the air. Moore certainly is and we will need both Davies and Clarke to counter him. If MTW is coming in for anyone it would be Wisdom, but I suspect we will keep the same starting line-up.

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Andre’s not great in the air. Moore certainly is and we will need both Davies and Clarke to counter him. If MTW is coming in for anyone it would be Wisdom, but I suspect we will keep the same starting line-up.

If Byrne isn't fit would not be surprised to see MTW in at wing back played quite a few games there in Holland. 

14 hours ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

We're getting there slowly. Got to stick with a similar team to try and get some familiarity between the players as I think there's definitely something there. Until Bielik is back fully fit, 3 at the back I think is here to stay... so I'd go with this:

Marshall
te Wierik, Davies, Clarke
Byrne, Knight, Shinnie, Buchanan
Jozwiak, Waghorn, Lawrence

Harsh on Wisdom, but he was possibly the one player who I panicked every time he got the ball at his feet at the back (he looked a lot stronger pushing forward in the last 10mins!... and before anyone mentions Curtis' passing, he rarely lost out in the air all game). After seeing some highlights of MTW playing in Holland, there's a good defender in there... and maybe now we're playing slightly more positively, he can start to shine a bit.

I keep wisdome in the team he adds pace and power and helped out in midfield.

It’s going to be tough.
He’s still walking a tightrope. 
one slip and usual suspects will be throwing brick bats.

we could do with a stroke of luck.

but I’m half expecting Jason knight to pull something out of the bag.

The next 2 fixtures are going to be very tough. I watched Cardiff yesterday and they play as you'd expect, get the ball early to Moore and he'll look to bring Wilson, Ojo and Murphy in to the game in the final third. Any throw ins in the final third will be met by Vaulks launching the ball in to Morrison so in short Curtis and Clarke are going to have to put in a shift if we expect to get anything from this.

The performance against Forest has breathed optimism into the fan base. Shame we aren't playing Wycombe on Wednesday as a nice easyish match would've helped the momentum take affect. A win against Cardiff would be an impressive nights work.

No need to change anything IMO. Waggy and Tom will strip fitter and added plenty against the Gumps anyway. I could see Fozzy being brought in to try to address the likely aerial bombardment but despite not being a giant, Buchanan is very strong in the air himself and on current form, offers a greater attacking threat too. 

The only changes I can see coming are to the bench; perhaps some 1st team minutes are on the cards for Bielik and Ibe? Not sure if Sibbo will be good to go yet but if not, Shinnie and Knight have shown they work really well as a unit anyway. My guess would be a hard-fought first home win of the season.

Probably the same team if Byrne is fit. If Byrne is injured we have a few options but I'd likely choose Duane Holmes.

For me, Wisdom was the weakest link so I'd be fine if he's swapped over with te Wierik. Is Evans just out of the reckoning at the moment, or injured?

Cocu has said it's one more game for Ibe in the U23s before probably being in first team contention.

1 hour ago, Philmycock said:

I wouldn't drop Shinnie after friday, first name on the team sheet for me

I get that. But we’re at home, and we need to win. 

19 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. Clarke is usually a lot better so it’s nothing to worry about, but I do wonder whether he’s struggling with the increased fitness levels required to play in a 3 at the back.

Suddenly the team selection is obvious  I did not see this coming Then Rooney, Ibe and Bielik to accommodate. Plus Sibley or Bird and Roosto make up the subs.  How did we not see Che Adams as a signing under our noses.

45 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Suddenly the team selection is obvious  I did not see this coming Then Rooney, Ibe and Bielik to accommodate. Plus Sibley or Bird and Roosto make up the subs.  How did we not see Che Adams as a signing under our noses

Nigel had left by then?

Same team for me. Thinking the spine looked solid, Davies, Shinnie and Waggy. Build around that. Need to be positive from the off, Moore and Wilson need to be kept quiet. Losing Rooney may be a little blessing in disguise...... COYR ?

I also think we should be starting to see TVW again soon, potentially, he's the

replacement for Davies in the center or right side and could end up our best CB

so would be happy with  a defense of..

Marshall

TVW  Davies  Clarke

TVW   Bielik   Clarke  or/

Wisdom   TVW   Clarke  and Bielik back at centre mid

Great choices any way, and should bring down our goals against dramatically  ?

Archived