Rooney manager. John Gregory assistant.

DcFc Dyycheee

If this is true it is nothing short of a disgrace ....get our first ever foreign coach in with pedigree don’t sign any players in his first season and loan in poo.....sticks around whilst the club captain and others bring the club into disrepute ....eventually gives him some players he wants then sacks him and puts in someone who doesn’t appear to give two hoots about the club and zero managerial experience  ...if this happens it will be first time ever that I will think of walking away .... please Mel show the same respect that this man deserves and give him this season .....if Rooney is undermining him duck him off!!!!!!.....this club is becoming a joke if this is true! 

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always a fair indication to look at the journalist who wrote the story - step forward Phil Thomas, previously the man with one of the most difficult media jobs in the Uk - Merseyside correspondent of the Sun. 

two previous stories by him on Rooney

a) Rooney going to China (he didn’t) 

b) Rooney to have boxing re-match with Bardsley (he didn’t) 

When it comes to media stories about Derby then it’s safe to believe the clearly well sourced John Percy or Steve Nicholson. Not someone based in the North-West who works for the Sun. 

As other posters have said, it’s the link with John Gregory that is the detail that is so left field as to be worrying. 66 year old Gregory - not coached anywhere since leaving India in early 2019. No logical connection with Rooney. No logical connection with Mel. Last seen in English football at Crawley Town in 2015. Why him ? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the-sun.com/sport/premier-league/276975/bardsley-jokes-he-and-wayne-rooney-ready-to-have-boxing-rematch-after-kitchen-bout-left-Derby-man-kod/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2592483-manchester-united-transfer-news-mega-wayne-rooney-china-rumours-emerge.amp.html

This has got to be garbage,  

agree with the bizare statments concerning J G,  who left under a cloud

of accusations - with nothing ever clarified officially.

I'm sure there have been a few heated discussions, about adapting to the players we have available

also re letting the younger players leave,   but buying Ibe, Duncan and the guy from Southend isn't gonna get

us promoted this year, anyway. Wilson is a different matter thou, he could get us over the line if it

was close come the end of the season.

Perhaps we have abandoned our stated plan for another all out rush at the Prem!

Interesting. I know the Sun is toilet paper but the whole story seems so bizarre that it could actually be true. 

Am not sure why they would even to bother to peddle the story if it was total nonsense don't see that even them are that hard up for stories to fill their pages with.

Total plot loser!!

Gregory cringe worthy - surprised they would let him back in the country

I have to say there’s no smoke without fire though - Mel getting trigger happy. Would be a big one this - especially as he has just had a good window and looks to be assembling a team of quite good players

if it does happen let’s not do Gregory - but maintain the Mike Phelan bit - as he is a really good coach 

Could this have been a false rumour generated from inside the club to find out who's leaking info out? We used to be quite watertight when it came to new players but over the last few months there's been quite a few early reveals. The club can't be happy with it.

Give everyone a different name for assistant manager and see which one pops up. 

No idea if this has any truth in it. Yet Mel's track record suggests that he won't be happy with the football played under Cocu. 

Relegation would be a disaster for a club with our cost base. It could threaten the very existence of our club. Clubs in the bottom 3 at Christmas are likely to get relegated. 

For these reasons, I don't believe that Cocu's position is secure. I would be amazed if Mel wasn't considering alternatives. I'd expect the win at Norwich bought Cocu some time, but we don't know what the 'feeling' of the players is. Mel, from what I've heard, takes the views of the players very seriously when making decisions on managers' futures.

I don't like the idea of Rooney as manager, but it really wouldn't surprise me.

Archived