Norwich City Vs Derby County

Millenniumram

Just turned phone on at work and twitter feed from DCFC came through so that blows my ‘no knowledge’ suspense for later. But hell I can live with that now.   Hehe, not going to do any research on forum about how well we did or didn’t do and if we deserved it or not, can read that tomorrow. Wow, looking forward to watching later tonight with some ales of course. Oh Derby County how can I not love you stop motion love GIF by Aardman Animations

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Cocu I think surprised everyone today with that line up and the tactics we used, can’t remember us playing out from the back often. Smash and grab it most definitely wasn’t. A classic away performance. A pragmatic tactical masterclass. It was even refreshing to see us clipping balls into the channels.

It was exactly what we needed after last week, pick his most experienced team who is going to fight and scrap, get back to basics and build a solid base. Then we can try to work on the attacking stuff from there when players get fit.

This isn’t going to be the blueprint for success this season and I see us returning to Cocu’s style playing out from the back but we have shown another side today, a grittier side and that is encouraging. It re-affirms my view that when everyone is fit we have a decent squad and we could do ok this season. 

Well done Cocu and Well played Derby!!

1 hour ago, Premier ram said:

so pleased for the manager , the togetherness of the team was so pleasing to see , Curtis was excellent , but bloody hell what a performance from Jason Knight , think he covered every blade of grass on Carrow Road at least twice , magnificent display boys

So glad someone highlighted this I thought he was extremely good today took me back to watching Bryson of old.i had him for my MOTM

12 minutes ago, Ramslaar said:

So glad someone highlighted this I thought he was extremely good today took me back to watching Bryson of old.i had him for my MOTM

I’m with you too , knight was my man of the match , that run to win the free kick in the 86 th? Minute of a game like that just framed the whole attitude of the team performance 

23 minutes ago, Ramslaar said:

Said the same 

I never want to see him out wide ever again 

so much more a central midfielder 

Even before this game, I feel with the squad we have (especially after the new additions) and a bit of confidence we are going to give someone a good dicking. Get the right forward(s) in and one or two more performances to get some confidence, someone is going to get a right good hiding (I hope) 

16 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Said the same 

I never want to see him out wide ever again 

so much more a central midfielder 

I think hes a little unfortunate to be honest in that he is with out doubt better in the middle but we have so many in that position that he HAD to play outwide to plug the gap.Cocu highly rates him but he is almost the victim of being versatile.last year bird and rooney were hard to dislodge as for 6 month they played well.he still has some growing to do but is slowly becoming the player I thought we would get when I saw him play for the unders.i just love his grit and passion and he has incredible stamina.long my it continue and we have a real player on our hands

2 hours ago, sage said:

We put more pace and energy in CM. That is 90% of the better performance.  

This ^

cocu started the same way last season if u remember  going with dowell and Huddlestone for The opening half dozen games ... we got out worked in those too 

little disappointed he’s effectively made the same judgement and u could say same mid judgement but at least like last year it seems he’s remembered In the championship u have to match the opposition work rate otherwise you’ll get nothing no matter how many times u knock it side ways and back 

loved today ... the two boys in the middle of the park put a real shift in 

2 hours ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

I thought Lee Buchanan was excellent today, dominated aerially against whoever and always provided an outlet down the left. He made one mistake, but the look of relief on his face when Marshall saved it said it all. Very promising. 

Yes, I forgot to mention him. Solid performance and defensively as good as either Bogle or  Lowe. Morgan Whittaker too. For a young lad with a bit more physique to come showed signs of becoming a serious threat. Great progress from both. 

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Well Cocu I think surprised everyone today with that line up and the tactics we used, can’t remember us playing out from the back often. Smash and grab it most definitely wasn’t. A classic away performance. A pragmatic tactical masterclass. It was even refreshing to see us clipping balls into the channels.

It was exactly what we needed after last week, pick his most experienced team who is going to fight and scrap, get back to basics and build a solid base. Then we can try to work on the attacking stuff from there when players get fit.

This isn’t going to be the blueprint for success this season and I see us returning to Cocu’s style playing out from the back but we have shown another side today, a grittier side and that is encouraging. It re-affirms my view that when everyone is fit we have a decent squad and we could do ok this season. 

Well done Cocu and Well played Derby!!

Well said. I've seen a few people referring to the performance as "poohousery" etc. I must confess that I listened to the game rather than watched it, but to me it sounded like a textbook away display. I can't recall Norwich having a hatful of chances besides the penalty and the two saves from Marshall. I can understand people who say we were fortunate to get all 3pts but I think we need to separate the result from the performance (yes, I think it's possible to do that even when we win!)

Today was about reacting to Saturday's debacle with character and organisation, not scintillating football. All that was required was that we turn up, put in a performance that would get us a point, and leave with something to build on. Job done.

Archived