Norwich City Vs Derby County

Millenniumram

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He linked up play. His movement making space was good. He got into good positions but missed (airshots) a couple of decent chances. Took some decent corners. He will 'ping' that kind of freekick again, quite regularly given chance. We had 5 at the back, whadda ya want?

He didn’t link up play, there were a number of poor touches and misplaced passes. Set pieces were ok at best. 

What do I want?? The performances we saw before lock down. But for whatever reason he’s been very average since Millwall away. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Played exactly how we should against top teams away. Last season we were perhaps too naïve when playing some of the better teams.

What I like about this formation is that it can go from a 541 defensive to a 343 attacking formation with no change in personnel. It's what I'd play going forward. Also playing 3 CB's kinda negates the lack of pace of Davies and really suits him as a player and lets him play to his strengths. Knight is 100% a CM, hopefully with Ibe and Lawrence coming back soon we won't see him on the wing again.

I think with the addition of 1 player who can hold the ball up front, the 343/541 could really work for us.

18 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

1. Those are the numbers according to Whoscored, so who knows how accurate they are. 
They have Davies down as 10 clearances, so maybe headed clearances go down as a clearance rather than an ‘aerial battle won’, as I don’t recall him kicking the ball clear all game. 

I would have guessed 10 headers from Curtis. Entirely predictable, good solid clearances. Stunned at the ease with which we commanded our penalty area today. Looked so simple and ordinary like everyone knew what to do all of a sudden.

Been a massive critic of Shinnie but that was a great performance from him today.

Also - a massive amount of praise to Cocu, execution of a perfect game plan to get a result. 

37 minutes ago, Rampage said:

I would have guessed 10 headers from Curtis. Entirely predictable, good solid clearances. Stunned at the ease with which we commanded our penalty area today. Looked so simple and ordinary like everyone knew what to do all of a sudden.

Absolutely. I do hope the tactics/ formation weren't just a one off for 'must not lose' scenario. I fear that if we revert back to the way we played in the previous 3 league matches we will lose a lot more than we will win. Need to play to the strengths of the players we have on the books.

Today felt like a big win. Well done to players and coaching staff. 

Ferguson always used to say it would take Rooney a few games to get up to speed after a lay off. As I recall his influence grew steadily after he first signed. Here’s hoping that his post lockdown and then the beginning of this season form, where there is no denying he hasn’t been quite up to it, is just him feeling his way into things. 

I don’t believe he turned rubbish overnight, and ultimately we don’t win that game if he didn’t play today. The trouble we have is where he plays

3 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Did anyone else think Norwich’s wall looked about twelve yards from Rooney?

Yes i noticed it. While Atwell was marching out 10 yards. He did 11 and then Rooney dragged the ball back a couple of feet while he wasn't looking. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

1. Those are the numbers according to Whoscored, so who knows how accurate they are. 
They have Davies down as 10 clearances, so maybe headed clearances go down as a clearance rather than an ‘aerial battle won’, as I don’t recall him kicking the ball clear all game. 

They'll be accurate, but an aerial duel is "Winning a header in a direct contest with an opponent" according to Whoscored, so headed clearances won't count towards aerial duels

5 hours ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

I thought Lee Buchanan was excellent today, dominated aerially against whoever and always provided an outlet down the left. He made one mistake, but the look of relief on his face when Marshall saved it said it all. Very promising. 

Have to agree with you, and, as @DarkFruitsRam7 has already alluded to much earlier in the thread, he was up against a player being chased by two Champions League semi finalists. On a completely separate note, does anyone else agree with me that the bargain-basement Byrne looks a better player than the multi-million Bogle?

1 minute ago, OohMartWright said:

Have to agree with you, and, as @DarkFruitsRam7 has already alluded to much earlier in the thread, he was up against a player being chased by two Champions League semi finalists. On a completely separate note, does anyone else agree with me that the bargain-basement Byrne looks a better player than the multi-million Bogle?

I said during the game, Byrne put in a defensive performance Bogle could only dream of.

As Mason Bennett said...

Byrne, ducking Byrne!

Archived