Norwich City Vs Derby County

Millenniumram

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, OohMartWright said:

Have to agree with you, and, as @DarkFruitsRam7 has already alluded to much earlier in the thread, he was up against a player being chased by two Champions League semi finalists. On a completely separate note, does anyone else agree with me that the bargain-basement Byrne looks a better player than the multi-million Bogle?

Byrne will be a fans favourite....great signing ...he's much better than Bogle and Buchanan is starting to look some player too...glad his one big error today wasn't punished

Very unexpected. Quite a lot more heart, desire and resolve. Can’t pretend it didn’t take a penalty miss and two world class saves from Marshall before a free kick to win the game, but that’s the position we are in right now and will greatly receive it. 

Byrne rightly getting a lot of praise here. Steal of a signing. Think we are bashing Bogle a bit unnecessarily though, Byrne just looks like he has the 8 years playing experience on Bogle. Not that it matters any more I guess.

Was great to see Jason Knight given a go more centrally as I think his energy and willingness to go box-to-box is something we’ve missed since Bryson could do it in his prime. Been waiting for him to get a chance there for some time instead of being shoe horned out wide, which in fairness to him, he still manages to plug the gap. 

I’m Curtis Davies’ biggest critic as he really can’t even play a 5 yard pass these days without looking like he’s going to fall over his own feet, but his leadership, organisation and commitment defensively really showed. In a game where we surrendered possession, we needed that. He wasn’t going to help us retain it, but we will get onto another reason why that wasn’t possible in a moment. 

Morgan Whittaker was our only outlet for most of the second half. Lots of willing, with very little help, and he should take a lot of confidence from that display. Hopefully those that entirely wrote him off too soon will ease up a little bit. 

Now... not taking anything away from the free kick goal because that was obviously top class, however... Wayne Rooney was abysmal. He can’t run anymore, he doesn’t challenge for anything not at his feet, gives defenders free challenges, gives the ball away countless times. Absolutely exasperating performance and should have been subbed half an hour minimum before he got chance to score that free kick. Think we would have carved out more opportunities with someone else up there had he been taken off, so it’s hard to say that he was a reason we won despite the goal. Was one of the main reasons we had so much defending to do and kept the ball so little to give the defence a break. More confirmation, if we even needed it, that we desperately need a striker (Charlie Austin isn’t it, unless there’s another coming too) as his legs have absolutely gone. 

Anyway... we’re on the board which was desperately needed looking at how tough October is on paper. Bring Lawrence, Waghorn and Ibe into the fold and we immediately look a damn sight better. Just make the best of the remainder of the transfer window and that will determine our ceiling this season. 

Finally, well done Cocu. It’s not easy at the moment. So desperate for him to succeed as a bloke I actually like. 

5 hours ago, sage said:

Yes i noticed it. While Atwell was marching out 10 yards. He did 11 and then Rooney dragged the ball back a couple of feet while he wasn't looking. 

11 paces may well be 10 yards when you do your refs course they ask you to mark out what you think is ten yards. They then measure it out it is quite interesting to see on my course nobody had it right

Some were short others long by a distance my ten paces were just below, twelve for me gave the right distance. 

5 hours ago, Srg said:

Very unexpected. Quite a lot more heart, desire and resolve. Can’t pretend it didn’t take a penalty miss and two world class saves from Marshall before a free kick to win the game, but that’s the position we are in right now and will greatly receive it. 

Byrne rightly getting a lot of praise here. Steal of a signing. Think we are bashing Bogle a bit unnecessarily though, Byrne just looks like he has the 8 years playing experience on Bogle. Not that it matters any more I guess.

Was great to see Jason Knight given a go more centrally as I think his energy and willingness to go box-to-box is something we’ve missed since Bryson could do it in his prime. Been waiting for him to get a chance there for some time instead of being shoe horned out wide, which in fairness to him, he still manages to plug the gap. 

I’m Curtis Davies’ biggest critic as he really can’t even play a 5 yard pass these days without looking like he’s going to fall over his own feet, but his leadership, organisation and commitment defensively really showed. In a game where we surrendered possession, we needed that. He wasn’t going to help us retain it, but we will get onto another reason why that wasn’t possible in a moment. 

Morgan Whittaker was our only outlet for most of the second half. Lots of willing, with very little help, and he should take a lot of confidence from that display. Hopefully those that entirely wrote him off too soon will ease up a little bit. 

Now... not taking anything away from the free kick goal because that was obviously top class, however... Wayne Rooney was abysmal. He can’t run anymore, he doesn’t challenge for anything not at his feet, gives defenders free challenges, gives the ball away countless times. Absolutely exasperating performance and should have been subbed half an hour minimum before he got chance to score that free kick. Think we would have carved out more opportunities with someone else up there had he been taken off, so it’s hard to say that he was a reason we won despite the goal. Was one of the main reasons we had so much defending to do and kept the ball so little to give the defence a break. More confirmation, if we even needed it, that we desperately need a striker (Charlie Austin isn’t it, unless there’s another coming too) as his legs have absolutely gone. 

Anyway... we’re on the board which was desperately needed looking at how tough October is on paper. Bring Lawrence, Waghorn and Ibe into the fold and we immediately look a damn sight better. Just make the best of the remainder of the transfer window and that will determine our ceiling this season. 

Finally, well done Cocu. It’s not easy at the moment. So desperate for him to succeed as a bloke I actually like. 

Great post. Agree wholeheartedly. I expressed the need for a leader in the back four in many previous posts. When I saw Curtis Davies’ name on the team sheet my heart sank a little because his legs have gone.

He was brilliant.

I can understand that Rooney isn’t running around like a twenty year old but his fitness level is a disgrace. I’m also amazed how he has lost his technical skills. Yesterday showed this up but great players can have bad games but still win them.

I’d like to say a bit about Buchanan too. He has found it hard in the championship and has looked really shaky. He started poorly yesterday and I feared he would be a weak link.

He rallied tremendously, buoyed I’m sure by the support around him. 

The kid did great. 

9 hours ago, ripleyram88 said:

Played exactly how we should against top teams away. Last season we were perhaps too naïve when playing some of the better teams.

What I like about this formation is that it can go from a 541 defensive to a 343 attacking formation with no change in personnel. It's what I'd play going forward. Also playing 3 CB's kinda negates the lack of pace of Davies and really suits him as a player and lets him play to his strengths. Knight is 100% a CM, hopefully with Ibe and Lawrence coming back soon we won't see him on the wing again.

I think with the addition of 1 player who can hold the ball up front, the 343/541 could really work for us.

The only thing is that the extra defender means no Sibley, and we sit deep.

(unless Sibley could play deeper and replace shinnie).

5 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The only thing is that the extra defender means no Sibley, and we sit deep.

(unless Sibley could play deeper and replace shinnie).

I said earlier this season that I think knight and sibley will job share on the pitch this season which should be a positive and at some point we will have a lot of choices for selection 

Really hard to see October pass without a couple of ‘outs’.

Assuming a maximum of six ahead of the defence, we have:

Rooney, Bird, Shinnie, Knight, Holmes, Bielik, Sibley, Lawrence, Waghorn, Ibe, Jozwiak, Marriott, Hector-Ingram, Whitaker, Duncan, plus whoever is added up front this week.

Apologies if I’ve forgotten anyone but that’s sixteen names!

I can’t see that as being sustainable, especially when I suspect one or two from the current U23s will be pushing for a spot.

I think sibbo could play the shinnie role, provided he can keep his cool. 
but ultimately the back four need to be able to cope without Davies to nurse them.

Anyone thinking the Marshall save was comparable to Banks v Pele needs to give their head a wobble.

A great save but keepers should be stopping that kind of effort week in week out. 

Banks was going the wrong way Pele was a lot closer to goal. His header had more power. Everything was against Banks but miraculously he pulled it off. That’s why it’s still talked about 50 years later.

We’ll have forgotten the Marshall by the end of this thread.

51 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I think sibbo could play the shinnie role, provided he can keep his cool. 
but ultimately the back four need to be able to cope without Davies to nurse them.

He’s tenacious, certainly, but I think you’d be depriving Sibley of his natural game. 

Shinnie does help with balance in a game like yesterday, but he does give it away countless times when he gets forward. 

10 hours ago, sage said:

Yes i noticed it. While Atwell was marching out 10 yards. He did 11 and then Rooney dragged the ball back a couple of feet while he wasn't looking. 

Don't think they do 10 paces anymore.  If memory serves, they were advised a good few years ago now, to pace out a measured 10 yards (eg at home/in training) and if it takes them 12 paces (or 8), then that is what they should try to replicate on the pitch, each and every time.
Never rely on just counting the ref's paces, as some of them are proper short-arses!    

EDIT:
Sorry... posted this before seeing the post by @Rambalin, on a similar, but more educated, vein.

14 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Don't think they do 10 paces anymore.  If memory serves, they were advised a good few years ago now, to pace out a measured 10 yards (eg at home/in training) and if it takes them 12 paces (or 8), then that is what they should try to replicate on the pitch, each and every time.
Never rely on just counting the ref's paces, as some of them are proper short-arses!    

EDIT:
Sorry... posted this before seeing the post by @Rambalin, on a similar, but more educated, vein.

I didnt say 10 paces. I said 10 yards.

Archived