Jordon Ibe - Signed on a 2 year deal

S8TY

40 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I know a lot has changed from the days of fans spotting managers in the main stand with a sheepskin coat and cigar or Brian Clough going to watch Worcester City on a Friday night but this feels a bit weird to me. If I was managing a football team, or even a pizza delivery company, I'd want to have a say in who got the job done for me. If I'd been plying my trade in another country, or two, I'd like to think I would have some suggestions of people I had managed, seen play or spoken to the agents of. I really wouldn't be leaving all of that to the incumbent team of a club that hadn't managed to get promoted for over a decade. Isn't that a great part of what he has been brought in to change?

Look, I know it's not black and white (well it is for Derby) but Ibe seems to be another example of a player being brought in that obviously was not one of Cocu's recommendations. The risks of that, including how they are then expected to play, is obvious and I just see it as a gap I am surprised might be in place.

Recruiting teams collect data and scout players but managers (maybe not first team coaches) pick from the menu. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Topram said:

Reading the stuff this morning suggest he never had a medical yesterday and we now want a striker

I wouldn't take much notice of what Cocu says, he is very good at playing poker I would say.

He said after the game last night that he "hoped something would be announced in the next 24 hours", "hoped", this was even with Jozwiak signed and sealed, pictures taken etc.

He clearly doesnt like to let the cat out the bag.

2 hours ago, roboto said:

What stuff did you read?

I'm pretty sure that the medical did happen and the club have been working on a deal with Ibe and his agent, hopefully that isn't too crazy with respect to everyone's situation right now. Kamil has been announced early this morning which could mean we are making space for another announcement later today or we just want to stay ahead of the Polish media who seemed to leak all the info on that move.

Cocu has been banging on about wanting a striker since January and I doubt that situation will change until he gets one. There's been no concrete links, so I'm hoping that something is progressing behind the scenes. With the lack of gossip on any striker links though I'd imagine that we're looking at someone playing in England. There was talk of a loan to buy move that would suggest someone playing at a level above us and we want to make sure we get the quality in without pushing FFP too far.

Ibe on a "free" wouldn't affect FFP as much. Just a signing on fee and some decent wages. But we've lost some significant numbers off the wages since some big contracts have ended. Hudds, Anya, Voldemort19 and even Malone were reportedly on big money for Championship players.

I'm pretty sure we've been after Ibe on and off for the last year or so. He might be plan B or plan C after the Roberts link (where he's currently starting for Leeds in the Prem) didn't come to fruition. But that's just my personal speculation. Having more attacking choice and pace is what we desperately need. I think everyone can see that.

a well written post, one of the better ones I have read in a while 

The original loan signing of Jordan Ibe coincided with Chris Martin's best haul of 14 goals before the turn of the year, we hammered Wolves 5-0 in a terrific game of attacking play is the game I remember best, we were top of the Championship (then Chris Martin got injured). Ibe came here as a replacement for Bamford and those games from him were as good as any, he was better than an Anthony Knockaert, an Adama Traoré, a Riyad Mahrez, a Tom Ince, a Saïd Benrahma. That's why it is worth the gamble he can be that good again for me, if finances allow. We haven't had that X-factor for some time now, they are the players that elevate a team to the next level.

It would transform the way Derby play right now, everything would be fed through two wingers, they will be encouraged to take on defenders, unlock defences and they will likely create space for others. Cocu's PSG success was built around having Memphis Depay as a wing option or Jetro Willems supporting him. Rooney and Bielik will have the skills to feed these two and also feed off them.

No guarantees ever with a winger, just look at Ademola Lookman at RB Leipsik. We wanted him on loan, they got him, he impressed them so much they paid £22.5m for him. Now he is surplus and has been a disastrous signing. When you do the maths, only around one in five do become a success.

I have asked a cherries fan i have known well what his opinion on Ibe is this is what he replied with . 

Hes feckin poo... played 1 good game .. not a team player .. wants to run past everyone and ends up losing the ball 90% of the time. He played in the under23 until his contract expired and we refused to renegotiate

He will suit Derby well " 

To be honest it is how i remember him at Derby as well , doing to much with the ball . 

I wouldnt get carried away with this possible signing unless it costs us very little in wages but i cant see that with what he has been use to . 

1 minute ago, NottsRammy said:

I have asked a cherries fan i have known well what his opinion on Ibe is this is what he replied with . 

Hes feckin poo... played 1 good game .. not a team player .. wants to run past everyone and ends up losing the ball 90% of the time. He played in the under23 until his contract expired and we refused to renegotiate

To be honest it is how i remember him at Derby as well , doing to much with the ball . 

I wouldnt get carried away with this possible signing unless it costs us very little in wages but i cant see that with what he has been use to . 

At this standard though he could take everyone on and be successful more often than not. That’s what he did for us on loan. 

29 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

''Hes feckin poo... played 1 good game .. not a team player .. wants to run past everyone and ends up losing the ball 90% of the time. He played in the under23 until his contract expired and we refused to renegotiate

Isn't that exactly what we need right now? We've got a million-and-one tidy passers but next to no-one who can aggressively advance play into the final third. 

I'd rather see an attacker try and do something dangerous and lose the ball, than constantly play the safe pass backwards and retain possession. As I say, we've been good at keeping the ball but not so good at being dangerous with it- Jozwiak and hopefully Ibe will help with that.

37 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Isn't that exactly what we need right now? We've got a million-and-one tidy passers but next to no-one who can aggressively advance play into the final third. 

I'd rather see an attacker try and do something dangerous and lose the ball, than constantly play the safe pass backwards and retain possession. As I say, we've been good at keeping the ball but not so good at being dangerous with it- Jozwiak and hopefully Ibe will help with that.

Holmes !
i think because of his post injury dip in form and the fact that he wasn’t ready to come back we have almost forgotten what he did in the latter part of last season. He was a link between defence and attack .. always turned forwards. 

And yes .. totally agree. There have to be some players in the team ready to take a risk .. not stupid risks but with an attacking mentality. 

13 minutes ago, jono said:

Holmes !
i think because of his post injury dip in form and the fact that he wasn’t ready to come back we have almost forgotten what he did in the latter part of last season. He was a link between defence and attack .. always turned forwards. 

And yes .. totally agree. There have to be some players in the team ready to take a risk .. not stupid risks but with an attacking mentality. 

Saw a visual a couple of weeks ago of progressive dribbling statistics and Holmes ranked very highly, he is excellent at it.

If Lawrence moves centrally I just wonder where Holmes will fit as he'd better in a traditional 433 than the 4231 we're playing at the minute 

3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Let's hope his fitness is better than his writing skills!

3 hours ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Let's hope he can't read great either so he won't see the abuse he will recieve during his time here after a bad game ?

I'll say it more generously :

If his runs are as maverick as his grammar, he'll cause all sorts of problems 

22 minutes ago, jono said:

Holmes !

Unfortunately he is so injury prone, he has a couple of good games and the following week he has another niggle that keeps him out then he comes back play well and repeats. You can’t rely on him. I agree he has ability but even if he played 46 games a season I don’t think he’d make much difference in this side. Hopefully between Lawrence Sibley Holmes Jozwiak Ibe we’ll have enough pace and creativity to push on this season. 
Since this is the Ibe thread - if this was a swap deal does it improve the team? I think it does, Holmes has nowhere near the ability of Ibe. 

Archived