Jordon Ibe - Signed on a 2 year deal

S8TY

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

I support Derby because my dad took me to the BBG when I was four years old and that’s where it all started.

Why would I support Benfica or Boavista when I have no connection to those teams?

It’s one signing that I am questioning. Read my comments on Marshall, Byrne, Clarke and Te Wierik and I have been nothing but positive.

Do you disagree that signing Ibe is a big risk?

But you live in portugal yes? thats why i suggested it

Jourdan I will emphasise how you come across as negative my freind as your glass of Mateus comes across as half empty all of the time....you say that we are desperate and scrambling to sign Ibe  ...your words...how do you know that we haven't been after him for a while as we were in for him in jan but couldn't get a loan over the line as  apparently this is true..so maybe just maybe Ibe has been slightly deluded and held out for a prem club or a better offer but now realises that we are the best option ....this may of course not be true...but your take is that DCFC are struggling and scrambling for signings...it comes across as negative but yet we could've maybe put an offer on the table some time ago and held firm and now its payed off..so not desperate or scrambling at all.....any player whether ibe or jozwiak is a gamble but it is surely less of a gamble financially if that player has cost us nothing in transfer fees etc and helps amortisation ....just saying 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, SFox1993 said:

To be fair to you Jourdan the last couple of weeks is probably the most positive i've ever seen you about Derby and long may that continue.

Regarding Ibe , its only a risk for me regarding fitness , otherwise i think its fantastic business

Is Ibe not a free transfer ... as far as risk goes bar the contract commitment and wages it’s a a risk free as it gets in football 

Has to be said that he wouldn't be the first player to have had a hard time at Bournemouth and then done well outside of them. Glenn Murray, Benik Afobe and Lewis Grabban all come to mind as players that didn't look up to a lot at Bournemouth but then did well afterwards. Heck, Tyrone Mings only managed 23 appearances in 3 and a half years for them and then within a year of leaving became a full England international.

15 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I support Derby because my dad took me to the BBG when I was four years old and that’s where it all started.

Why would I support Benfica or Boavista when I have no connection to those teams?

It’s one signing that I am questioning. Read my comments on Marshall, Byrne, Clarke and Te Wierik and I have been nothing but positive.

Do you disagree that signing Ibe is a big risk?

Risk, yes, but so is every signing. A free transfer, who’s 24 and who we already have some semblance of an idea what he’s capable of, I would say amounts to a smaller risk than a lot of moves we could make. Jóźwiak is a much bigger risk than this would be. 

4 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Is Ibe not a free transfer ... as far as risk goes bar the contract commitment and wages it’s a a risk free as it gets in football 

Not many players that have been sold for big money(£15m) just go on to be poor. He was a massive talent and he’s had a season without football. We’re cashing in on his bad season (none existent season). Otherwise we definitely wouldn’t have a sniff of signing him. 

2 minutes ago, JfR said:

Has to be said that he wouldn't be the first player to have had a hard time at Bournemouth and then done well outside of them. Glenn Murray, Benik Afobe and Lewis Grabban all come to mind as players that didn't look up to a lot at Bournemouth but then did well afterwards. Heck, Tyrone Mings only managed 23 appearances in 3 and a half years for them and then within a year of leaving became a full England international.

I stand by what I said in a different topic... Eddie Howe is not such a great manager that the BBC pundits would have you believe.

2 minutes ago, JfR said:

Heck, Tyrone Mings only managed 23 appearances in 3 and a half years for them and then within a year of leaving became a full England international.

In all fairness, he was injured for long periods during his time with Bournemouth - yet they still managed to turn him from an £8m player into a £30m player.

36 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

It does a little. It strikes me that we are well down our list and scrambling.

If we had signed him at the start of pre-season so he could build his match fitness and integrate into the squad and hit the ground running, it would appear a lot more calculated and sensible.

Yes, I totally agree that on paper he has the potential and the attributes we are looking for.

But in essence, we are signing a player who hasn’t played regular football for two seasons, was at a Premier League club on a sizeable wage, has struggled with personal problems, and hasn’t even played in the Championship for five years.

Who knows how he will adapt? Yes, it is potentially a high reward move, but it is also a high risk one.

You my man have not got a clue.what is it that is high risk?? This I would say is as low risk as it gets...the only bad thing that could happen out of this is he plays amazing and villa buy him at the end of the season for 20mil

2 hours ago, Dava75 said:

Exactly this!!!!! Snowing, my feet were freezing but Ibe made it a brilliant afternoon out!!!! ??

Only your feet? 

I'm still cold now! That drive home was something else too... ❄️

Back on topic.

To call this desperation on is, in my opinion, a little harsh. We were after him last summer, but Bournemouth wanted a sale rather than a loan. We have landed* what appears to be our top target in Jozwiak, who we've been chasing since January, so why not go for a pretty low risk, potentially high reward freebie?

The rest of the window has been pretty damn successful, why question this one?

28 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

It does a little. It strikes me that we are well down our list and scrambling.

If we had signed him at the start of pre-season so he could build his match fitness and integrate into the squad and hit the ground running, it would appear a lot more calculated and sensible.

Yes, I totally agree that on paper he has the potential and the attributes we are looking for.

But in essence, we are signing a player who hasn’t played regular football for two seasons, was at a Premier League club on a sizeable wage, has struggled with personal problems, and hasn’t even played in the Championship for five years.

Who knows how he will adapt? Yes, it is potentially a high reward move, but it is also a high risk one.

Maybe but you are aware,I presume, that the EFL didn’t drop the charges against us until 25th August ( a fortnight after training resumed) and that ,until then, we were operating under a soft transfer embargo .In the 21 days since, we’ve brought in Marshall,Clarke,Byrne and raised funds from selling Bogle and Lowe meaning we can now sign players like Jozwiak and potentially afford the wages of someone like Ibe. Transfers are never easy to negotiate ,at the best of times but saying we are “ well down our list “ is nonsense! How do you know who was on the list? Do you have some inside knowledge or do you just grab a name that appeals to you off a forum page and then whinge when we don’t sign someone that you regarded as  higher up “ your list”.   Seriously,you should go and give your head a good wobble and have a good think about things affecting Derby over the past few seasons.Half full or half empty? I suspect you’re the type of individual who’d complain about the glass size!

Yes. 
he’s one of the four players I listed yesterday Or the day before? (Available wingers on frees).

I’m not a fan of right footed left wingers but let’s get him and see how we can use him.

i also support free signings Because of the ffp situation. 
it might not work but it’s a risk worth taking. 
if he struggles then he needs support. Which is also my stance with Jozefzoon.

we can’t just keep binning players. 

57 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Soooooooooo if this is a thing (not assuming anything yet to avoid disappointment) do we think this is the 2nd attacking player Cocu mentioned? Or is this a bonus player who just happened to be available and free so why not take a punt? (A Rooney-like random happening from nowhere)

We were interested previously and knew that he would've out of contract at this time. Looks like a first choice to me.

13 minutes ago, Derbyram1983 said:

Not many players that have been sold for big money(£15m) just go on to be poor. He was a massive talent and he’s had a season without football. We’re cashing in on his bad season (none existent season). Otherwise we definitely wouldn’t have a sniff of signing him. 

It's usually the other way round, we usually end up paying a fortune for someone on the back of one, or even half a, good season. 

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Yes. 
he’s one of the four players I listed yesterday Or the day before? (Available wingers on frees).

I’m not a fan of right footed left wingers but let’s get him and see how we can use him.

i also support free signings Because of the ffp situation. 
it might not work but it’s a risk worth taking. 
if he struggles then he needs support. Which is also my stance with Jozefzoon.

we can’t just keep binning players. 

I totally agree on this Ramnut.

Archived