Jordon Ibe - Signed on a 2 year deal

S8TY

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, leamram said:

Is it not a case of Cocu goes to the scouting department (I know) saying what sort of player he wants and they suggest possible targets who fit that description.

That’s how I thought it worked too. Obviously he can suggest players but generally it’d be “I want X player with X attributes who plays in X position.”

Te Wierik I assume was all Cocu, like to think a part of Jozwiak was too. The likes of Clarke, Paterson, Dowell, Ibe, Marshall, Hamer and Byrne I’m guessing were all from the recruitment team. 

11 minutes ago, Topram said:

Reading the stuff this morning suggest he never had a medical yesterday and we now want a striker

What stuff did you read?

I'm pretty sure that the medical did happen and the club have been working on a deal with Ibe and his agent, hopefully that isn't too crazy with respect to everyone's situation right now. Kamil has been announced early this morning which could mean we are making space for another announcement later today or we just want to stay ahead of the Polish media who seemed to leak all the info on that move.

Cocu has been banging on about wanting a striker since January and I doubt that situation will change until he gets one. There's been no concrete links, so I'm hoping that something is progressing behind the scenes. With the lack of gossip on any striker links though I'd imagine that we're looking at someone playing in England. There was talk of a loan to buy move that would suggest someone playing at a level above us and we want to make sure we get the quality in without pushing FFP too far.

Ibe on a "free" wouldn't affect FFP as much. Just a signing on fee and some decent wages. But we've lost some significant numbers off the wages since some big contracts have ended. Hudds, Anya, Voldemort19 and even Malone were reportedly on big money for Championship players.

I'm pretty sure we've been after Ibe on and off for the last year or so. He might be plan B or plan C after the Roberts link (where he's currently starting for Leeds in the Prem) didn't come to fruition. But that's just my personal speculation. Having more attacking choice and pace is what we desperately need. I think everyone can see that.

22 minutes ago, Longeatonram2020 said:

Te Wierik I assume was all Cocu, like to think a part of Jozwiak was too. The likes of Clarke, Paterson, Dowell, Ibe, Marshall, Hamer and Byrne I’m guessing were all from the recruitment team. 

I know a lot has changed from the days of fans spotting managers in the main stand with a sheepskin coat and cigar or Brian Clough going to watch Worcester City on a Friday night but this feels a bit weird to me. If I was managing a football team, or even a pizza delivery company, I'd want to have a say in who got the job done for me. If I'd been plying my trade in another country, or two, I'd like to think I would have some suggestions of people I had managed, seen play or spoken to the agents of. I really wouldn't be leaving all of that to the incumbent team of a club that hadn't managed to get promoted for over a decade. Isn't that a great part of what he has been brought in to change?

Look, I know it's not black and white (well it is for Derby) but Ibe seems to be another example of a player being brought in that obviously was not one of Cocu's recommendations. The risks of that, including how they are then expected to play, is obvious and I just see it as a gap I am surprised might be in place.

11 hours ago, europia said:

I thought Ibe was excellent in his time at Derby and expected him to do great things in the PL.  In our current situation, signing a player like Ibe seems too good to be true, and probably is.......

He was decent at the very end of his spell with us and very average for the rest of it. He does have potential and is worth the punt in signing him although his time At Bournemouth was less than average so as a footballer he hasn’t really shown much at all and has plenty to prove but like I said worth the punt especially if he does well.

27 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

He was decent at the very end of his spell with us and very average for the rest of it. 

He got better and better throughout his spell, which is what you'd expect from a youngster learning his trade.  He'd just started to really show what he could do when Liverpool recalled him, played him at wingback for a bit and then never played him again, which pretty much tanked his career.

Archived