Jordon Ibe - Signed on a 2 year deal

S8TY

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, S8TY said:

But you live in portugal yes? thats why i suggested it

Jourdan I will emphasise how you come across as negative my freind as your glass of Mateus comes across as half empty all of the time....you say that we are desperate and scrambling to sign Ibe  ...your words...how do you know that we haven't been after him for a while as we were in for him in jan but couldn't get a loan over the line as  apparently this is true..so maybe just maybe Ibe has been slightly deluded and held out for a prem club or a better offer but now realises that we are the best option ....this may of course not be true...but your take is that DCFC are struggling and scrambling for signings...it comes across as negative but yet we could've maybe put an offer on the table some time ago and held firm and now its payed off..so not desperate or scrambling at all.....any player whether ibe or jozwiak is a gamble but it is surely less of a gamble financially if that player has cost us nothing in transfer fees etc and helps amortisation ....just saying

For the record, I was born in Derby, grew up in Derby, my grandparents lived on Molineux Street just around the corner from the BBG, and I had a season ticket from the age of 11 until I first left home at 18. Even when living away from home, I still try to make as many games as possible, such as  flying back from Porto twice in two weeks for the play-off games in 2019.

It’s unkind to question someone’s support just because their point of view is different to your own. I don’t mind you questioning my opinions. Go right ahead.

To respond to your post, if our finances are as bad as suggested, we can’t afford to get much more wrong in the transfer market and even a free transfer of this magnitude carries a lot of risk.

Let’s say Ibe will be on £20,000 a week for two years, as a conservative estimate. That’s £2 million minimum before you take into account signing on fees and agent fees and all the other associated costs. It’s a big commitment for a club in our position.  

If it doesn’t work out and we don’t manage to get him back on track, that’s more millions down the drain and we are back to square one.

I can see how there could be a lot of upside to this move. Ibe obviously has talent and could come in and be a revelation and bag 10 goals and 10 assists and drive us up the table.

But there is just as much chance that we are expecting somewhere close to the same player we had on loan five years ago and we end up being frustrated and disappointed.

But what will be will be. If he joins and becomes a Derby player, we have to hope for the best.

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

Serious Question Why do you follow Derby? you are never satisfied!! ....would'nt Benfica or Boavista suit you more ??

You take yourself far too seriously. What makes you think you have the right to challenge  people in this way? It says far more about your own insecurities. Just cos people have different views to yourself doesn't mean they are not Derby supporters

5 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

For the record, I was born in Derby, grew up in Derby, my grandparents lived on Molineux Street just around the corner from the BBG, and I had a season ticket from the age of 11 until I first left home at 18. Even when living away from home, I still try to make as many games as possible, such as  flying back from Porto twice in two weeks for the play-off games in 2019.

It’s unkind to question someone’s support just because their point of view is different to your own. I don’t mind you questioning my opinions. Go right ahead.

To respond to your post, if our finances are as bad as suggested, we can’t afford to get much more wrong in the transfer market and even a free transfer of this magnitude carries a lot of risk.

Let’s say Ibe will be on £20,000 a week for two years, as a conservative estimate. That’s £2 million minimum before you take into account signing on fees and agent fees and all the other associated costs. It’s a big commitment for a club in our position.  

If it doesn’t work out and we don’t manage to get him back on track, that’s more millions down the drain and we are back to square one.

I can see how there could be a lot of upside to this move. Ibe obviously has talent and could come in and be a revelation and bag 10 goals and 10 assists and drive us up the table.

But there is just as much chance that we are expecting somewhere close to the same player we had on loan five years ago and we end up being frustrated and disappointed.

But what will be will be. If he joins and becomes a Derby player, we have to hope for the best.

Huddlestone, Anya, Malone & Martin were all on more than that, is it that big of a commitment when we now have space in the wage fund?

It's also offset by the fact there's no transfer fee. A winger of his potential could easily command a £2m loan fee + wages so i think financially it's likely a sound deal.

Feel free to think he's a gamble in terms of footballing output but for a 24 year old that was considered a rising star, the finances seem pretty modest. 

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Ordinarily I would say that this signing smacks of desperation and panic.

But let’s face it, we are genuinely desperate! You couldn’t look at our poor start and our poor financial situation and suggest otherwise.

We can’t afford to spend £2m+ on an unheralded French winger, so we have to take a different kind of risk.

This doesn’t excite me purely because I think we already have a similar player who is talented, inconsistent and a loose cannon in Tom Lawrence. I am not sure we need another one.

But I guess that’s where we are as a club, so let’s take the risk and see if we can get him fit and firing.

He has to be a better alternative to playing Knight, Holmes and Waghorn out wide, surely?

What smacks of desperation is not being able to get through a single day without pissing on people's chips. So ducking tedious.

30 minutes ago, Srg said:

Risk, yes, but so is every signing. A free transfer, who’s 24 and who we already have some semblance of an idea what he’s capable of, I would say amounts to a smaller risk than a lot of moves we could make. Jóźwiak is a much bigger risk than this would be. 

Jozwiak is not a bigger risk because his career is on an upwards trajectory.

Even if he comes here and doesn’t hit the heights, it would be understandable because English football can be difficult for some foreign players to adapt to.

Clubs are more likely to take another chance on him because of his form for Lech and his international caps for Poland.

If this move doesn’t work out for Ibe, where does he go from there? Four indifferent and challenging years at Bournemouth followed up by a disappointing spell with us, it wouldn’t look good.

It would be nice if people stopped bickering about what if it fails and just get behind the lad if and when he signs.

Really don’t get the negativity on this, Ibe would be minimal risk bar wages, for a young enough player who has unfulfilled potential and everything to prove. 

Give him the chance, this could be gem of a signing.

17 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

The alternative is to buy someone for a fee and then still have the wages and agent fees etc on top so so overall it kind of balances out if not Ibe is cheaper over the duration of the contract. Plus the way we amortise value he would be £0 on our books I believe so if we ended up selling him it would be a profit. 

Also, worth noting that I believe his parents represent him now so agent fees may not be too bad.

8 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Jozwiak is not a bigger risk because his career is on an upwards trajectory.

Even if he comes here and doesn’t hit the heights, it would be understandable because English football can be difficult for some foreign players to adapt to.

Clubs are more likely to take another chance on him because of his form for Lech and his international caps for Poland.

If this move doesn’t work out for Ibe, where does he go from there? Four indifferent and challenging years at Bournemouth followed up by a disappointing spell with us, it wouldn’t look good.

That would maybe the case if Ibe were 28/29 but he's 24 and hasn't really had a proper playing career in the division above to consider a move to Derby as a downward step.

There are plenty of examples of players not working out at clubs & then needing a fresh move to invigorate their careers. Martin for example had gone up with Norwich, barely got picked thereafter & ended up with us as a punt on a free transfer - similar age incidentally & stayed for 7 years.

Don't disagree Ibe is a gamble but all transfers are gambles. He's young, talented & has played well here previously - if the deal is sensible, I think its a shrewd move.

9 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

It would be nice if people stopped bickering about what if it fails and just get behind the lad if and when he signs.

Really don’t get the negativity on this, Ibe would be minimal risk bar wages, for a young enough player who has unfulfilled potential and everything to prove. 

Give him the chance, this could be gem of a signing.

Agree, I still believe if IBe had not been recalled by Liverpool, we would have been automatically promoted that year. Not sure what some people expect us to attract now Franks gone. I expect this will be great signing 

It all depends how you look at things. 

Everything is risk.

It how much of a calculated risk is it, that is the deciding factor as whether to do something or not. 

A careful, impartial,unbiased, unemotional rational of known factors must be weight up for and against and result achieved.

If you still balls it up you can always blame some else or insanity.   

Archived