Nathan Byrne - Signed on a 2 year deal

Charlie George's header

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Of course, one serious injury doesn’t suggest that.

But looking over Bielik’s whole career so far, it does seem that injuries are a regular theme.

Perhaps I’ll look silly and he’ll come back, coast through 30+ games and inspire us, but for me I would bring in another player just so he can come back without that burden.

We're not Chelsea.

We can barely afford to buy players who will have a guaranteed starting place, let alone those to act as cover for those who might get injured.

We're all mostly agreed, Cocu agrees, we need forward, creative players. We have enough midfielders to cope in an injury crisis.

4 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

We're not Chelsea.

We can barely afford to buy players who will have a guaranteed starting place, let alone those to act as cover for those who might get injured.

We're all mostly agreed, Cocu agrees, we need forward, creative players. We have enough midfielders to cope in an injury crisis.

Exactly, also he has completely written off Rooney which is naive in my opinion. Had a few poor games at the end of last season but he is still going to be an important part of the team. 

9 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Of course, one serious injury doesn’t suggest that.

But looking over Bielik’s whole career so far, it does seem that injuries are a regular theme.

Perhaps I’ll look silly and he’ll come back, coast through 30+ games and inspire us, but for me I would bring in another player just so he can come back without that burden.

If you've got a finite budget then surely you need to make the most of it, that means strengthening your weakest area and for the last 3 or 4 seasons that's been in our forward play. A chronic lack of pace combined with limited physical presence has been a feature of the team and hopefully Cocu will soon be putting that right.

Give us a pacey winger and a quick, powerful central striker and I'm confident that not only will it increase our forward threat but also benefit how our midfield performs. We have enough options in the midfield area to not waste what we have available to spend on yet another midfielder.

5 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

What's happened to this Forum?

A cheap as chips new signing, yet to a man we all seem happy?

Is no-one going to call him a liability, or question his attitude at least?

Bizzare isn't it ? .........have I woken up in an alternate reality where we reach the promised land and go on to beat Juventus in the European cup final 5 -0 ?

4 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

We're not Chelsea.

Bird, Sibley, Knight, Rooney, Shinnie, Holmes, Bielik, Evans are our midfield options as it stands.

Three of them are young kids still finding their feet, two of them are squad players, and three of them carry question marks over injuries or their physical fitness.

Yes, I understand that we need attacking players, but what use will they be if the midfield is ineffective?

I think we’d be taking a massive risk to overlook it, personally.

11 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

If you've got a finite budget then surely you need to make the most of it, that means strengthening your weakest area and for the last 3 or 4 seasons that's been in our forward play. A chronic lack of pace combined with limited physical presence has been a feature of the team and hopefully Cocu will soon be putting that right.

Give us a pacey winger and a quick, powerful central striker and I'm confident that not only will it increase our forward threat but also benefit how our midfield performs. We have enough options in the midfield area to not waste what we have available to spend on yet another midfielder.

OK, time will tell.

1 hour ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Rolling eyes emoji 

Confused by that response...

My point is I’m happy we are being smart with transfers and not throwing money at it. Byrne is exactly the right type of transfer. High transfer fees in the championship is no guarantee for success and hopefully we’ve learnt that now. 

15 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Exactly, also he has completely written off Rooney which is naive in my opinion. Had a few poor games at the end of last season but he is still going to be an important part of the team. 

I am talking about a loan signing. It’s obvious that Jozwiak is where the money is going.

I am not talking about spending £10 million on one player.

I just look at our midfield and feel as the season goes on, we’ll be crying out for a different option.

I’ve written off Rooney because his current weaknesses will be exploited by teams in this division.

If I am wrong, I’ll be the first to hold my hands up.

Just now, Jourdan said:

I am talking about a loan signing. It’s obvious that Jozwiak is where the money is going.

I am not talking about spending £10 million on one player.

I just look at our midfield and feel as the season goes on, we’ll be crying out for a different option.

I’ve written off Rooney because his current weaknesses will be exploited by teams in this division.

If I am wrong, I’ll be the first to hold my hands up.

image.png.f614ea51c6913dd82252108427450733.png

Ringing a bell from several years ago, I am [fairly] sure there was a thread on here suggesting we should have signed him when he scored a hat-trick for Swindon on the first day of the season, playing as an out-and-out tricky winger, and Wolves went and got him for a few million. He is the type of player we should be signing was the outcry from some here. That was the season we went crazy, [by 'we' I mean Clement] with Mel's dosh. Incidentally, this is the same year that we bought Mitchell-Lawton and Bogle from Swindon. 

It may be that at times he could play as a winger, like Bogle was asked to do a few times?

20 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Bird, Sibley, Knight, Rooney, Shinnie, Holmes, Bielik, Evans are our midfield options as it stands.

Three of them are young kids still finding their feet, two of them are squad players, and three of them carry question marks over injuries or their physical fitness.

Yes, I understand that we need attacking players, but what use will they be if the midfield is ineffective?

I think we’d be taking a massive risk to overlook it, personally.

8 players for 3 positions in midfield. JBrown makes it 9. Meanwhile, we’ll have just Lawrence, Jozwiak, Whittaker, Waghorn and Marriott for the forward 3 positions. With a budget allowing for just 1 more signing, I know where I’d be looking to strengthen. 

Stick with those 8 in midfield for the first half of the season. If Rooney looks finished or the others continue to battle injury, then we’ll recruit someone in January. There’s no need to panic yet.

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

This is good news.

With both Lowe and Bogle leaving, we couldn’t afford not to sign a full back.

It’s good to see we have addressed it very quickly.

You can’t fault our incoming business so far. Marshall, Te Wierik, Byrne and Clarke are all astute signings for a club in our position.

However we really should have made sorting out the attack the first priority as soon as talks with Martin broke down.

You build from the back...and now we look solid on paper. Hopefully attacking additions coming soon ? ? ? 

59 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I just look at our midfield and feel as the season goes on, we’ll be crying out for a different option

Wait... What? You want to add a central midfielder? To this Derby squad? Are you sure you aren't watching another team? ALL we have is central midfielders...

Bird, Bielik, Shinnie, Rooney, Holmes, Sibley, Knight, Evans, Jordan Brown - All CMs 

Plus if we got really desperate I think Wisdom would do a job there and Lawrence could move inside 

Archived