Nathan Byrne - Signed on a 2 year deal

Charlie George's header

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

8 players for 3 positions in midfield. JBrown makes it 9. Meanwhile, we’ll have just Lawrence, Jozwiak, Whittaker, Waghorn and Marriott for the forward 3 positions. With a budget allowing for just 1 more signing, I know where I’d be looking to strengthen. 

Stick with those 8 in midfield for the first half of the season. If Rooney looks finished or the others continue to battle injury, then we’ll recruit someone in January. There’s no need to panic yet.

Where has it been said we only have the budget for just two more signings?

I didn’t say we shouldn’t sign a winger or a striker.

I said we should sign those and a midfielder. Loan signings don’t have to cost the earth.

I am not panicking. I just think we should be proactive rather than waiting until January when it’s well known to be a difficult time to find good players and good deals.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

I am talking about a loan signing. It’s obvious that Jozwiak is where the money is going.

I am not talking about spending £10 million on one player.

I just look at our midfield and feel as the season goes on, we’ll be crying out for a different option.

I’ve written off Rooney because his current weaknesses will be exploited by teams in this division.

If I am wrong, I’ll be the first to hold my hands up.

I find it quite laughable that you're writing off Wayne Rooney....Do you not remember before lockdown was inspirational sitting in with Max Bird in Midfield pulling the strings scoring some great goals??

Now after lockdown he played too many games in a short space of time after already playing a full season in the US...say what you like about our Rooney but he doesnt shirk or go off injured and played probably too many games but lets get one thing straight...he is not finished, his brain and ability is still there and you are forgetting the influence he has on our younger players..there was a stage where tv pundits were making a ridiculous assumption that we  we were a one man team as his influence was so significant he might not play every game but he still has a very important part to play but you've written him off????? on the basis of what exactly?? that he played far too many games in a short space of time after a lockdown .....incredible!!

7 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Where has it been said we only have the budget for just two more signings?

I didn’t say we shouldn’t sign a winger or a striker.

I said we should sign those and a midfielder. Loan signings don’t have to cost the earth.

I am not panicking. I just think we should be proactive rather than waiting until January when it’s well known to be a difficult time to find good players and good deals.

We might well find that the situation next January will be quite different to what we've experienced in the past. Some quality players who may hold back in the current window rather than accept terms a fair bit lower than what they've been used to might be a bit more willing to do so after 3 or 4 months with no money coming in.

There is likely to be a much bigger surplus of decent players out of contract than has been the case and unless I'm mistaken, clubs can sign them outside of the window. In the unlikely event of us needing to strengthen in the midfield area of the squad, we have a better chance of doing so this coming season than has been the case in the past.

3 minutes ago, S8TY said:

I find it quite laughable that you're writing off Wayne Rooney....Do you not remember before lockdown was inspirational sitting in with Max Bird in Midfield pulling the strings scoring some great goals??

Now after lockdown he played too many games in a short space of time after already playing a full season in the US...say what you like about our Rooney but he doesnt shirk or go off injured and played probably too many games but lets get one thing straight...he is not finished, his brain and ability is still there and you are forgetting the influence he has on our younger players..there was a stage where tv pundits were making a ridiculous assumption that we  we were a one man team as his influence was so significant he might not play every game but he still has a very important part to play but you've written him off????? on the basis of what exactly?? that he played far too many games in a short space of time after a lockdown .....incredible!!

1. He is almost 35.

2. He has little to no pace.

3. He has little to no mobility.

4. He looks unfit.

5. He will struggle playing full matches.

6. He will struggle playing regularly.

7. He will get pressed to death, which will lead to mistakes.

8. He will get doubled up on, which will lead to mistakes.

I don’t doubt his technical quality and football brain, but in the Championship it is becoming more and more a league where athleticism, intensity and fitness is important.

Forget the name, forget the reputation, forget his past achievements, and look what he can offer us now.

If his name was Wayne Huddlestone, people wouldn’t be defending him so staunchly.

13 minutes ago, S8TY said:

If Hernandez at Leeds can be important and play a part in Leeds promotion there is absolutely no reason Rooney can't for us...similar age and both have lots of ability but mid 30's

There’s a big difference.

Hernandez plays under Bielsa and is as fit as a fiddle.

Rooney is not.

I just watched our last game against Wigan, the entire thing, to see what I missed the first time round - Nathan Byrne's performance. 

The first thing that caught my eye was his starting position is wild. He, along with Robinson at LB, are playing as wing backs. They're pushing much higher up the pitch than Bogle or Lowe ever did. It's obviously how Cook wanted to set up, but despite their high starting position we really struggled to get any change out of them. It was quite frustrating to rewatch considering how much space they left in behind, but Lawrence would rather drift inside than take him on, as we know, so it played into their hands. 

Byrne is a very good ball carrier; one of his first involvements in the game was picking the ball up drifting past a couple of players before forcing Hamer into a good save. Hamer had a good game in fairness. Technically he's obviously a good player. He likes a long ball, too, but not up top to the 'big man'. He plays a lot of lateral passes - again it could've been a design of Cook who obviously rated him as an outlet. It was a very strong performance. Wigan were very good for the most part, whereas we looked very much below par. It was away from home so I half expected us to lose (I couldn't remember the score). Bielik being subbed off in the first half because he should've seen red was probably the epitome of the performance.  

15 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

1. He is almost 35.

4. He looks unfit.

I don’t doubt his technical quality and football brain, but in the Championship it is becoming more and more a league where athleticism, intensity and fitness is important.

Forget the name, forget the reputation, forget his past achievements, and look what he can offer us now.

If his name was Wayne Huddlestone, people wouldn’t be defending him so staunchly.

Good. The opposition doesn't get an extra player on the pitch because we've got Rooney. if he's getting doubled up on then someone else has more space than they usually would. 

Rooney will still be playing a good amount of games for us next season, after all he's the captain of the side. 

53 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

1. He is almost 35.

4. He looks unfit.

You my friend talk out your arse, since he arrived we improved 100 percent, yes last 4 games he got tired, the man Rooney will lead us to promotion, and when he does I want you to dissappear down the A52, and support the poo at the city ground, fed up of reading since rubbish from a so called Derby fan, better off without fans like u, good bye, and turn the lights out on your way out. 

40 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

1. He is almost 35.

4. He looks unfit.

As per the norm for you Jourdan you're negative ...and looking at your list this emphasises this 

He has'nt been particuarly mobile for ages , we probably don't want him to play full games and when he did last season his influence was immense. point 6 why will he struggle playing ?? he hasn't so far and although i agree his game management needs to be right he played too much last season in a short space of time...not ideal at his stage of career, you contradict yourself on points 7 and 8 if hes that bad and will get pressed why will teams double up on him ?? its not about his name its about his ability , I think he still scored something like 8 goals was it and his vision and range of pass is still excellent...every point you make is your opinion of what will happen rather than it being fact except for his age .....he has not let Derby County down since his arrival and although I will agree he probably wont play as much he will still be influential...you make the championship out to be something it is not.....if we can concede less goals we will be higher up the table this time around...why compare Huddlestone and Rooney ? I liked Huddlestone but he is certainly never been on the same level as Rooney.....Leeds play high press yes Derby don't necessarily do as much but when we win the ball you're guaranteed if Rooney has the ball his vision will open up teams especially if he has pacey willing workers like Byrne and Jozwiak as well as a few others we have.....When i look at players like Tomlin and Bannan both good championship players but no pace at all yet can change games with passes and vision....as will Wayne Rooney...you are basing your opinion purely on the games after lockdown that is a fact and is unfair as i suspect a few players lost some fitness levels...you need to get off of his case and appreciate the fact he's pulling on a Rams shirt because I am 

1 minute ago, Derby blood said:

You my friend talk out your arse, since he arrived we improved 100 percent, yes last 4 games he got tired, the man Rooney will lead us to promotion, and when he does I want you to dissappear down the A52, and support the poo at the city ground, fed up of reading since rubbish from a so called Derby fan, better off without fans like u, good bye, and turn the lights out on your way out. 

Totally 100 per cent agree....never stops picking holes and then says he's not negative....hates Cocu and hasn't got the b****** to admit it now slates off a player who was so influential in out upturn in form but that gets forgotten...

47 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I just watched our last game against Wigan, the entire thing, to see what I missed the first time round - Nathan Byrne's performance. 

The first thing that caught my eye was his starting position is wild. He, along with Robinson at LB, are playing as wing backs. They're pushing much higher up the pitch than Bogle or Lowe ever did. It's obviously how Cook wanted to set up, but despite their high starting position we really struggled to get any change out of them. It was quite frustrating to rewatch considering how much space they left in behind, but Lawrence would rather drift inside than take him on, as we know, so it played into their hands. 

Byrne is a very good ball carrier; one of his first involvements in the game was picking the ball up drifting past a couple of players before forcing Hamer into a good save. Hamer had a good game in fairness. Technically he's obviously a good player. He likes a long ball, too, but not up top to the 'big man'. He plays a lot of lateral passes - again it could've been a design of Cook who obviously rated him as an outlet. It was a very strong performance. Wigan were very good for the most part, whereas we looked very much below par. It was away from home so I half expected us to lose (I couldn't remember the score). Bielik being subbed off in the first half because he should've seen red was probably the epitome of the performance.  

What you will notice with Byrne is ( and this is not meant as a slur on Bogle as he was still learning ) but Byrne is very dangerous and positive going forward much more than Bogle and that was his best attribute and think fans will be appreciating that we have signed a very good pacey hard working player... i think will be a fans favourite because he makes things happen 

8 minutes ago, S8TY said:

What you will notice with Byrne is ( and this is not meant as a slur on Bogle as he was still learning ) but Byrne is very dangerous and positive going forward much more than Bogle and that was his best attribute and think fans will be appreciating that we have signed a very good pacey hard working player... i think will be a fans favourite because he makes things happen 

Bogle's starting position is much deeper than Byrne. I don't know if that's by design or not, but I always felt that Bogle NEVER excelled with a high starting position. We tried him as a winger a couple of times, a wing back on more than one occasion, but he looked a fish out of water. I'm sure it will come with coaching, but he's not quite there yet. 

Byrne was playing where I would expect to see a wing back despite being in a back four. He's really wide, almost sticking to the byline, playing almost as close to the half way line as possible when the centre backs have the ball. I think that's partly that he was a wide midfielder for a lot of his career. We've always seemed to play a much more narrow, deeper system. It will be interesting to see how he adapts. 

33 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

OK, time will tell.

It’s a forum. I am expressing my opinion. If you don’t agree with me, that’s fine.

Just because my opinion is different to yours doesn’t mean I am any less worthy of being a Derby fan.

For the record, if Rooney does lead us to promotion, I will be over the moon and I will come on here and hold my hands up and say, @Derby blood you son of a gun, you were right.

And then I will disappear down the A52 just like you asked, but only to continue the promotion party at some of Nottingham’s finest establishments.

I was at Wigan away too and he was a thorn in our side that day constantly pushing up and attacking us down that side. He was stood right on the touchline as wide as you could be and I'm not sure that we were too sure what to do about that - go to him to close him down and leave gaps or keep your shape and give him much more room. I doubt that was his decision so I'd imagine likewise that Bogle's position had a lot to do with where he was told to be and I suspect that'll be less advanced under Cocu.

Bielik was was an accident waiting to happen and rightly subbed before the inevitable red. As I recall, Bird came on and we looked better straight away. We'd looked such a shambles away at that time that I guess we didn't expect too much.. first away goal in god knows how many games. Still made for a fun day out and the late goal made the journey home better but I remember commenting how much their fullbacks seemed to contribute.

31 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Totally 100 per cent agree....never stops picking holes and then says he's not negative....hates Cocu and hasn't got the b****** to admit it now slates off a player who was so influential in out upturn in form but that gets forgotten...

It’s not picking holes. It’s wanting the best for your team and wanting your team to be the best it can be.

I am not slating Rooney. I am just saying his weaknesses will hold us back. Of course, he has qualities and if he gets time and space and the opposition stands off, those qualities will shine through.

But in a physical league where more and more teams try to press, play with intensity and shut you down, will he able to use them effectively? I don’t think so, but we will see.

I don’t hate Cocu. I don’t hate Rooney. That’s quite the leap.

Do I think they are going to lead us to promotion? No.

If they do, will I admit I was wrong? Absolutely.

25 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Bogle's starting position is much deeper than Byrne. I don't know if that's by design or not, but I always felt that Bogle NEVER excelled with a high starting position. We tried him as a winger a couple of times, a wing back on more than one occasion, but he looked a fish out of water. I'm sure it will come with coaching, but he's not quite there yet. 

Byrne was playing where I would expect to see a wing back despite being in a back four. He's really wide, almost sticking to the byline, playing almost as close to the half way line as possible when the centre backs have the ball. I think that's partly that he was a wide midfielder for a lot of his career. We've always seemed to play a much more narrow, deeper system. It will be interesting to see how he adapts. 

I watched Byrne when at Swindon and have never understood how he hasn't played for better teams no disrespect intended ...i know he had a spell at Wolves but will give us so much going forward, i don't think hes a great defender but his pace helps but he's certainly on a par or better defensively than Bogle but attacking wise I look forward to his input....hope he doesn't just play when and if we play 3-5-2 If Joziak plays on right them two could cause havoc

Archived