Nathan Byrne - Signed on a 2 year deal

Charlie George's header

40 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

The new Paul Connelly? Is that what you are saying? I am getting tingly!

Name the last player we signed for more than £2m that could be classed as a success and value for money is what I’m saying.

I’d probably go with Vydra.

I just don’t trust us to spend money wisely. 

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

As it happens, I was speaking to a member of the Wigan staff today and asked him about Byrne. He said we’d got an absolute bargain. Says he’s a top performer and an even better bloke. Didn’t say what the fee was but reckoned it was a third of his value. 

Less than that. I’ve heard £200k. 

8 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I am not talking about a permanent signing because we obviously can’t afford it. Jozwiak will be the big money signing.

I expect the majority of our business moving forward to be loan signings, and one of those (for me) would be a midfielder.

Bielik is still injured and could easily break down again or have another setback. Holmes’s luck with injuries follows a similar pattern. So I don’t see how these two (despite their talents) can be viewed as key players until they can prove they can stay fit on a consistent basis. And then finally Rooney and Shinnie should be squad players, dropping in when needed.

It’s a possibility, I just think it’s unlikely given the fact it’s not been mentioned at any point as a position where we’ll add to.

If injuries hit, it’s possible we shift system to 4-3-3, which Cocu apparently prefers. 

25 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I am not talking about a permanent signing because we obviously can’t afford it. Jozwiak will be the big money signing.

I expect the majority of our business moving forward to be loan signings, and one of those (for me) would be a midfielder.

Bielik is still injured and could easily break down again or have another setback. Holmes’s luck with injuries follows a similar pattern. So I don’t see how these two (despite their talents) can be viewed as key players until they can prove they can stay fit on a consistent basis. And then finally Rooney and Shinnie should be squad players, dropping in when needed.

Cruciate ligament injuries are one-offs, well maybe not in Forsyth's case, but generally. They are not a sign that someone is "injury prone".

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

It’s a possibility, I just think it’s unlikely given the fact it’s not been mentioned at any point as a position where we’ll add to.

If injuries hit, it’s possible we shift system to 4-3-3, which Cocu apparently prefers. 

I genuinely think it will be the difference between playoffs and 9-12th for us.

Famous last words but a midfield collective of Bird, Rooney/Bielik and Sibley will not stand up to scrutiny against the stronger sides in the division.

Last season we picked up 18 points out of a possible 54 against sides that finished above us.

If we want to improve on that, we can’t afford to neglect to strengthen such a vital area of the team and risk undoing all of the good work we have done so far.

OK, so we have been woefully inept in defence at times with individual errors and lack of concentration/experience the key issue. We now have the goalkeeper and full back from a team that conceded 8 less goals in the league than us (rams 64 wigan 56). That would put them around 9th least goals against out of 24 teams. Throw in big Mike, wizzy, fozzy and Matt Clarke and we look instantly stronger. We also scored 62 which put us well in the top ten. If we can cut the goals against and somehow keep up the scoring rate we race up the league. Might be relying on one nils but a solid looking back line on paper I think with a guy who assisted 8 goals just added. Looks great business so far defensively to me. Very forensic additions.  

Just now, IslandExile said:

Cruciate ligament injuries are one-offs, well maybe not in Forsyth's case, but generally. They are not a sign that someone is "injury prone".

Of course, one serious injury doesn’t suggest that.

But looking over Bielik’s whole career so far, it does seem that injuries are a regular theme.

Perhaps I’ll look silly and he’ll come back, coast through 30+ games and inspire us, but for me I would bring in another player just so he can come back without that burden.

On 08/09/2020 at 14:04, Carnero said:

We've been after him for months, we just needed to find a taker for Mason Bennett before we could pursue our interest further.

It's fair to say that young Mason wasn't best pleased about it, hence the video.

Pah @DarkFruitsRam7@Kernow I cracked that joke back on page 3 but only @Will Hughes Hair was intelligent enough to get it ?

1 hour ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

The Lord Brian said build your teams from the back ?

I am sure that we have attackers in mind but they are always the hardest to find and buy 

Exactly. We conceded 64 goals last season...if we can shave 15 off that we'll be top 6 for sure. All successful teams have a strong defence.

A very good signing & really like that he's played with Marshall recently too..should reduce that 'settling in' phase. Comes across well in his interview too. Good work Derby ?

Archived