Nathan Byrne - Signed on a 2 year deal

Charlie George's header

6 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

We might well find that the situation next January will be quite different to what we've experienced in the past. Some quality players who may hold back in the current window rather than accept terms a fair bit lower than what they've been used to might be a bit more willing to do so after 3 or 4 months with no money coming in.

There is likely to be a much bigger surplus of decent players out of contract than has been the case and unless I'm mistaken, clubs can sign them outside of the window. In the unlikely event of us needing to strengthen in the midfield area of the squad, we have a better chance of doing so this coming season than has been the case in the past.

If a player has got no money coming in it's because they are free agents, and will therefore be able to sign at any time. Fitness however would probably be a problem.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Jourdan said:

OK, time will tell.

It’s a forum. I am expressing my opinion. If you don’t agree with me, that’s fine.

Just because my opinion is different to yours doesn’t mean I am any less worthy of being a Derby fan.

For the record, if Rooney does lead us to promotion, I will be over the moon and I will come on here and hold my hands up and say, @Derby blood you son of a gun, you were right.

And then I will disappear down the A52 just like you asked, but only to continue the promotion party at some of Nottingham’s finest establishments.

You can't buy players when building a squad on a tight budget under the thinking that everything that could go wrong will go wrong. 

You are kinda saying IF Holmes, Bielik don't recover from injury, IF Rooney doesn't play as well as he did when he first arrived, IF Shinnie doesn't play as well as he can, IF Bird, Knight and Sibley show their youth and start to struggle, IF players like Evans can't step up for the odd game ... Then we need cover.. 

That's just too negative an outlook to be a priority. Some of that may happen...but all of it, would be incredibly unlucky. 

We have plenty of cover in those positions in midfield ..what we need NOW... Is some pace, some creativity and someone scoring regularly. It's abundantly clear we are short of that and it needs addressing. 

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

You can't buy players when building a squad on a tight budget under the thinking that everything that could go wrong will go wrong. 

You are kinda saying IF Holmes, Bielik don't recover from injury, IF Rooney doesn't play as well as he did when he first arrived, IF Shinnie doesn't play as well as he can, IF Bird, Knight and Sibley show their youth and start to struggle, IF players like Evans can't step up for the odd game ... Then we need cover.. 

That's just too negative an outlook to be a priority. Some of that may happen...but all of it, would be incredibly unlucky. 

We have plenty of cover in those positions in midfield ..what we need NOW... Is some pace, some creativity and someone scoring regularly. It's abundantly clear we are short of that and it needs addressing. 

Agreed but, in fairness, I’m still traumatised by the Clement season where he had four left backs and all of the, were injured ?

3 hours ago, richinspain said:

If a player has got no money coming in it's because they are free agents, and will therefore be able to sign at any time. Fitness however would probably be a problem.

Match fitness may well be an issue but if they've played at a good level and have anything about them, then I would expect them to tie up with a local professional club to help maintain a decent level of general fitness.

Good solid,astute signing,welcome to the Rams,Cocu  starting to assemble a good working unit of players starting from the back. A couple of good signings now upfront and we should be very capable. Faith in Cocu and his onterage  slowly getting things right for us .

Quality replacement for Bogle, which puts that sale in a better light. 

Byrne is probably at his peak right now, and on paper a better player. We don't lose much in an attacking sense, but we do gain a player who is far more experienced, more consistent, and will have more defensive accumen. He'll be in the running for POTY. 

Bogle will probably play at a higher level for longer, and surpass Byrne's achievements if not ability, and like for like should have about 9 years longer left in the game, but for now we have an upgrade and money in the bank.

Spend that wisely, using Jozwiak as the potential prime example, and there is every likelihood that in 12 months time that the 2 players we spent that money on will have a higher value than the 2 that went. 

Bogle was a necessary sacrifice, we won't overly miss him from our team, or really think of him unless we catch him on TV, but the opportunity it presents could be a huge step in defining this clubs next era.

Building on Rample's point, I am reminded of how Cox sold Kevin Wilson and used the money to bring in several players that helped us move forward. Later Smith did the same thing - selling people like Mark Pembridge and Jossy and others who didn't want to be here to bring in people that did. Good business so far in this transfer window. I would still like one of Marriott or Waghorn to go and as a result  raise a chunk more cash to enable the squad to be further balanced    

16 hours ago, Derby blood said:

You my friend talk out your arse, since he arrived we improved 100 percent, yes last 4 games he got tired, the man Rooney will lead us to promotion, and when he does I want you to dissappear down the A52, and support the poo at the city ground, fed up of reading since rubbish from a so called Derby fan, better off without fans like u, good bye, and turn the lights out on your way out. 

I don't agree with Jourdan about Wayne Rooney as I believe  Rooney has had a positive effect on the attitude of the squad and as a player still has something to offer but honestly Derby blood he's entitled to his opinion without your scathing comments. 

35 minutes ago, Dappled Ram said:

I don't agree with Jourdan about Wayne Rooney as I believe  Rooney has had a positive effect on the attitude of the squad and as a player still has something to offer but honestly Derby blood he's entitled to his opinion without your scathing comments. 

He's not entitled to have his opinion unchallenged.

On 10/09/2020 at 19:40, Heisenberg said:

Would Bielik not be your man for this?

Bird sitting with Krystian having license to make forward runs with the ball?

It may only be highlights from a handful of games, but you can really see from that how he added / could add a completely different dimension to our play, one that nobody else in our squad is capable of.

The complaints about out lack of tempo are valid, but I'd like to think that if he'd been available all season there would have been a discernible difference in how quickly we got the ball about the pitch, he doesn't need 5 seconds to spot a teammate and and doesn't stand still admiring his passes after he makes them.

People remember his poorer displays and rash moments, but it wasn't easy for him stepping up a league while also carrying the weight of the teams entire midfield with Forsyth & Davies behind him.

I'm really looking forward to him returning.

4 hours ago, Dappled Ram said:

Free country I will say as I want, and everyone is free to express there feelings, thanks for your feed back, I will carry on as I always do, yes I am 100 percent right Rooney is a great player to have in our squad, not just as a player but as a coach, we are building a good squad, with a great blend of youth and experience, anyone who can not see that, then jog on lol. 

2 hours ago, Coconut said:

It may only be highlights from a handful of games, but you can really see from that how he added / could add a completely different dimension to our play, one that nobody else in our squad is capable of.

The complaints about out lack of tempo are valid, but I'd like to think that if he'd been available all season there would have been a discernible difference in how quickly we got the ball about the pitch, he doesn't need 5 seconds to spot a teammate and and doesn't stand still admiring his passes after he makes them.

People remember his poorer displays and rash moments, but it wasn't easy for him stepping up a league while also carrying the weight of the teams entire midfield with Forsyth & Davies behind him.

I'm really looking forward to him returning.

Completely agree 

You can see why he did his ACL with the amount of times he draws a challenge and releases at the last second 

17 hours ago, Dappled Ram said:

Bang on. There's a way to talk without sounding like an absolute arse. 

Archived