Preseason 2020/21

RoyMac5

Let’s see where we are after Norwich away. We’ll have a much clearer picture of our prospects.

All the signs point to us being in for a tough season, but maybe we’ll be surprised.

If we do some good business in the next few weeks and beat Barrow, Reading, Luton and Blackburn, the optimism will be right back.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I can be serious for a bit, I thought we looked good tonight, plenty of youth, hope, hunger, passion, and when them championship games come along, we'll do very well this season.

And I'm going to love it, and carry on supporting the club I love, Derby County Football Club.

D.C.F.C. Love, Life & Unity.

11 minutes ago, Chellaston Ram said:

This was our last pre season game intended to prepare us for our opening game so why bring on a load of kids that aren’t ready yet. 

Okay, I'll bite. Maybe because they can be assessed where they are now? And also, that they might be ready in the future? And to add, that's the strategy our club is following nowadays. Of course, we are missing quite a few players due injuries and niggles so that might be factor as well. Or maybe the youngsters have trained extremely well and deserved a chance?

I could go on but that's something for a starters. 

24 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

Why. 

Because these are nothing games that are not competitive in which we virtually never play the starting 11 who will be starting the season together and that allow as many substitutes as you want. They are for fitness and trying out new things - nothing more. Win or lose in friendlies is completely irrelevant to how competitive games will go.

16 minutes ago, europia said:

It's generally a case of  'nothing to be gleaned from pre season friendlies' when we lose them. On the other hand if we have a decent  pre season 'it's good to get into the habit of winning....' 

Neither a good or a bad pre-season is an indication of anything in the actual season. Especially when they are against teams who aren't even in the league you will be competing in.

11 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

If I can be serious for a bit, I thought we looked good tonight, plenty of youth, hope, hunger, passion, and when them championship games come along, we'll do very well this season.

And I'm going to love it, and carry on supporting the club I love, Derby County Football Club.

Great post mate, agree with it all. 

Ore season us for trying things out, we will be fine this season, fancy us for play offs this season. 

The division will be close, but I think with our desire, hunger and experience like Rooney we will be there or there abouts. Come the end of the season

Better to make your mistakes in friendlies. 

Can't be easy for the players. Season interrupted, hopes raised then dashed, short break and off we go again.

Fans saying we need two or three new players (two or three of you aren't good enough) 

I'm not panicking. Let's see where the team is after three games. 

1 hour ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Good post IR.

I'm struggling to feel involved atm. without fans it just doesn't seem right. I'm not that fussed even watching it on TV although once the season starts I probably will but for the first time in 50 years I'm not excited about a new season.

Reading your positive views helps.

??

2 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Outrageous unbridled optimism. Where do you think you are cocker? ?

I've had to interrupt my 4 hour continuous booing to type this!!!

?

For some reason I got a news feed saying that Middlesbrough beat Newcastle 5-1 in their latest preseason game, and have won 3.

Blooming warnock seems to have got them up to speed and running around quicker than Phillip. Even fatty assombalonga bagged a couple.

Going to take the shine off the P&S win if they get off to a flyer....?

Our lack of creativity is evident. We’re desperatly missing a few bodies up in the attack. I’d say we need 2 wingers or ‘inside forwards’ and as much as jack was good yesterday we still need 1 more body up front ideally on loan to allow JHI to develop 

Nothing should really be judged from pre season games, remember watching us in the Lampard pre season beating wolves and Southampton thinking we were going to walk the league, by the time we played reading on the Friday night we looked like we’d never played football before ?.

Nothing has changed from last season we were short of goals then and so far we’ve only brought in 3 defensive players. Hopefully in the next coming weeks we should have some of the other attackers back to help out but we’re desperately crying out for a winger and a new striker.......might not make the 2 signings until near the end of the window though. This is the third window we’ve been trying to sign a winger, how hard can it really be?!

7 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Nothing should really be judged from pre season games, remember watching us in the Lampard pre season beating wolves and Southampton thinking we were going to walk the league, by the time we played reading on the Friday night we looked like we’d never played football before ?.

But we did beat Reading away.

last season we failed to sparkle and that was a fairly accurate indication of what was to come. 

10 minutes ago, RamNut said:

But we did beat Reading away.

last season we failed to sparkle and that was a fairly accurate indication of what was to come. 

Results show we did you’re right, but can you remember the chaos with the 3 rotating midfielders? Reading could and should have been out of sight by the time mount scored.

Its a shame that after the debacle of last pre season most people were pinning their hopes on a more routine one this time around, turns out it’s been worse. A 3/4 week pre season with loss of injuries and a transfer embargo.

Archived