Preseason 2020/21

RoyMac5

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You know this how? Not exactly bagged many in preseason to give us all hope has he?

We didn't have enough firepower with Waghorn, Marriott and Martin last season so now we most definitely need new attackers in.

Because if he had been fit all season he would have scored more than the 2 goals he scored last season. 

I'm sure you can agree on this.

It doesn't matter how much firepower you have upfront. If you've got absolutely nothing to provide them with chances.

We need more creativity and more pace. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Concerning, yes. Doom and gloom? Not yet.

Don't forget, te Wierik's last competitive game was 6 months ago. He's going to be rusty.

On the other extreme, the rest of the squad have only had 6 weeks since theirs, and that's telling when we've barely seen Waghorn, Sibley and Rooney play, with Lawrence and Bielik still recovering.

Definitely still want to see some ins, but it's nice to see a plan B doing okay vs. a Premier League team who excel at it. I'd be more worried if we hadn't created those good chances in that first half, but it did appear we didn't have much of a kick in the second.

Leeds lost 3-0 to Stoke, ffs. Give it time. Think there'll be a few slow starts out there.

Based on the basic 2 senior players per position rule, it's fairly obvious which position we're after (ignore the fact some players cover multiple positions). We won't be signing a senior player to push a youth player down the pecking order (if close to the first team), unless there's a lack of quality there (as per our signings at CB).

GK: Marshall, Roos, Ravas
RB: Bogle, Wisdom
CB: te Wierik, Evans
CB: Clarke, Fozzy, Davies
LB: Lowe, Buchanan
DM: Bird, Bielik, JBrown
CM: Rooney, Shinnie
AM: Sibley, Holmes
RW: XXXXXX, Whittaker
LW: Lawrence, Knight
CF: Marriott, Waghorn, Trialist

We'll be looking for someone at RW, with any further signings dependant on sales.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Based on the basic 2 senior players per position rule, it's fairly obvious which position we're after (ignore the fact some players cover multiple positions). We won't be signing a senior player to push a youth player down the pecking order (if close to the first team), unless there's a lack of quality there (as per our signings at CB).

GK: Marshall, Roos, Ravas
RB: Bogle, Wisdom
CB: te Wierik, Evans
CB: Clarke, Fozzy, Davies
LB: Lowe, Buchanan
DM: Bird, Bielik, JBrown
CM: Rooney, Shinnie
AM: Sibley, Holmes
RW: XXXXXX, Whittaker
LW: Lawrence, Knight
CF: Marriott, Waghorn, Trialist

We'll be looking for someone at RW, with any further signings dependant on sales.

Even with a signing at RW those attacking options scream midtable at best to me, not enough depth there, Knight isn't even a winger he is a CM and Trialist may not be anywhere near good enough, Waghorn is a downgrade on Martin so we become completely reliant on Marriott for our attacking threat really.  baalocks to FFP we need signings, would sell Bogle if we have zero room for decent additions. 

Same old same old ,, cocu boring , defensive ,slow , sideways ,backwards 

jeez , we saw games second half of the season that were spot on and we were unplayable , sheff weds away springs to mind and my bet is that’s what the manager wants his team to play like ,

watched the game and what I saw was a very mixed almost second string Derby with good youngsters in the main trying to play football the right way with passing and movement but hey perhaps we are better with a warnock and bang it long type

29 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

We need more creativity and more pace. 

I think that's what I said - we've been after a wide right/right winger since God was a boy! Plus now we need a hold-up player, I can't see Martin returning so I imagine we'll look for a cheap loan. I wonder if Marriott or Waghorn would be a 'first choice' for Cocu if he didn't already have them and shoe-horning them into his preferred system is what seems to be going to happen.

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think that's what I said - we've been after a wide right/right winger since God was a boy! Plus now we need a hold-up player, I can't see Martin returning so I imagine we'll look for a cheap loan. I wonder if Marriott or Waghorn would be a 'first choice' for Cocu if he didn't already have them and shoe-horning them into his preferred system is what seems to be going to happen.

I agree with you mate. 

Everytime we get linked to a player it just gets dismissed by the Telegraph.

18 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Even with a signing at RW those attacking options scream midtable at best to me, not enough depth there, Knight isn't even a winger he is a CM and Trialist may not be anywhere near good enough, Waghorn is a downgrade on Martin so we become completely reliant on Marriott for our attacking threat really.  baalocks to FFP we need signings, would sell Bogle if we have zero room for decent additions. 

Our form in the second half of last season showed we're top 6 candidates. We've only lost Martin and Hamer from the regulars that played in that second half, gaining Marshall, te Wierik and hopefully a winger. We've most definitely improved at GK, better overall at CB, the young players will have improved, so if the winger has a similar impact as Martin, then there's nothing to say way won't make the top 6.

6 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I agree with you mate. 

Everytime we get linked to a player it just gets dismissed by the Telegraph.

Because every signing we’ve made since Cocu has happened practically overnight after we first hear about them. Would imagine that vein will continue. 

17 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

No way is waghorn a downgrade on Martin for a start and I am willing to bet if we put him on the market he would attract a fee where as Martin has not for years and is hardly being snapped up as a FREE agent but hey inhabit the twilight Martin is gods gift to football if that’s what floats your boat 

sell bogle to bring in a forward ? That leaves just wizzy at right back and he’s hardly proved immune from being out injured or for personal stuff, I’d say we are better stocked up front than right back ,

yes ballacks to ffp but we have it and to be fair mel is not a bottomless pit but on the plus side we finally have a manager who is happy to work with player s and develop youth whilst hopefully over time wheel and deal 

Blimey, I don’t think it’s as bad as some posts on here! We’ve got some fairly exciting attacking prospects if you ask me- Sibley looks top drawer, Holmes was gods gift nine months ago, Marriott and Waghorn can clearly score goals, Rooney and Bird looked exceptional in some games last season...

Not to mention that if we do finish 14th then, given our financial situation and the direction we’re going re playing youth, that’s probably our level now and is acceptable 

15 minutes ago, Jram said:

Blimey, I don’t think it’s as bad as some posts on here! We’ve got some fairly exciting attacking prospects if you ask me- Sibley looks top drawer, Holmes was gods gift nine months ago, Marriott and Waghorn can clearly score goals, Rooney and Bird looked exceptional in some games last season...

Not to mention that if we do finish 14th then, given our financial situation and the direction we’re going re playing youth, that’s probably our level now and is acceptable 

for me there are 2 issues; in personnel we need someone to replace CM's goals and we need to have Marriott back to his imperious best.  The other problem is getting the ball to them.  The forwards are either not making the runs into space or are too fed up with doing it because the midfield is not quick enough to get the ball to them making the effort worthless..  I am worried that the fear of losing possession will reduce the impact of any personnel improvements.  Maybe all we are looking for is is a hulk to pump balls forward to or for set pieces 

7 minutes ago, Spanish said:

for me there are 2 issues; in personnel we need someone to replace CM's goals and we need to have Marriott back to his imperious best.  The other problem is getting the ball to them.  The forwards are either not making the runs into space or are too fed up with doing it because the midfield is not quick enough to get the ball to them making the effort worthless..  I am worried that the fear of losing possession will reduce the impact of any personnel improvements.  Maybe all we are looking for is is a hulk to pump balls forward to or for set pieces 

I completely agree with you, mate, we could definitely improve personnel 

i just think the reality is that maybe we can’t like we could 5 years ago and that’s okay 

48 minutes ago, Archied said:

No way is waghorn a downgrade on Martin for a start and I am willing to bet if we put him on the market he would attract a fee

I imagine you can imagine that, but Waghorn will be on big wages and a bit like Anya be impossible to shift! Edit: And unlike Martin I imagine Waghorn will have a hefty P&S amount outstanding!

I didn’t watch it so can’t comment personally.

Talking to a couple of the Blades at work,who are usually fairly balanced but don’t know our squad particularly well they thought we were poor and will struggle without some additions.

Just a transitional season if we can stay up(that made me smile).

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Sibley plays in a very advanced role, almost like a strike partner for our CF.

Yes. But Marriott isn’t a centre forward, that was the point.

And neither is Sibley 

42 minutes ago, Van Cone De Head said:

I didn’t watch it so can’t comment personally.

Talking to a couple of the Blades at work,who are usually fairly balanced but don’t know our squad particularly well they thought we were poor and will struggle without some additions.

Just a transitional season if we can stay up(that made me smile).

Just to add... They wouldn't have known we were missing Marshall, Bielik, Rooney, Lawrence, Waghorn and possibly Wisdom from our strongest team. It was an experimental formation. Holmes' first game for months. Knight was also missing. We were testing a number of young players (Solomon, Ibrahim, etc..)

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I imagine you can imagine that, but Waghorn will be on big wages and a bit like Anya be impossible to shift! Edit: And unlike Martin I imagine Waghorn will have a hefty P&S amount outstanding!

Interesting that Sheff Utd fans were talking about Waggy last night. Apparently they came close to signing him before us but his £30k wage demands ended the negotiations.

44 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Just to add... They wouldn't have known we were missing Marshall, Bielik, Rooney, Lawrence, Waghorn and possibly Wisdom from our strongest team. It was an experimental formation. Holmes' first game for months. Knight was also missing. We were testing a number of young players (Solomon, Ibrahim, etc..)

To be fair they did and they mentioned it(I know I didn’t),I think they were missing a few as well.

They are usually quite balanced unlike the Wendies who are still banging on about us being corrupt.

https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/Derby-0-blades-2-report-thoughts.81896/

Don’t know if anyone has linked this,if anyone’s interested.

1 hour ago, Van Cone De Head said:

To be fair they did and they mentioned it(I know I didn’t),I think they were missing a few as well.

They are usually quite balanced unlike the Wendies who are still banging on about us being corrupt.

https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/Derby-0-blades-2-report-thoughts.81896/

Don’t know if anyone has linked this,if anyone’s interested.

Maybe they think we stole it from them? 

Unfortunately, we don't have history at match fixing (David Layne, anyone?) or done wrong lately either... 

I think we should go for it, that would make them even more mad.

Archived